Cheap awning or alternative

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Bacchus, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Does anyone know of a cheap and simple awning?

I use the van for touring mainly, one or two up, and it has never seemed worth putting an awning up but I am taking a couple of friends to Upton Blues next month and I was thinking that it might be nice to have a bit more space.

I have a wind out canopy (Fiamma I think) which seems in good condition, I wondered about getting some simple sides for it but they seem to start at around £800 which is a bit thick for a single weekend...

The van technically sleeps five so it's not essential, but it would be a nice to have.

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Some people love their awnings, I love mine too, but only when it's raining. Living in Wales there is no way I'd put an awning up for shade. Can't get enough of the sun.

For a one-off like a festival, think about getting a cheap garden gazebo or an event shelter. They work well (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

If you want a cheap awning, and I mean cheap you could try one of the gazebos that Aldi have at the moment - about 3m x 3m for £15! My wife will hopefully be able to get one for us later on, I might post a photo if its any good.

Paul

• Like Like x 3
  5. phil1946

phil1946 Funster

We also use a cheap gazebo with sides and windows - put it up under the wind out awning and then lower the awning on to the gazebo, no need for guylines and, IMO, far easier than fixing a front and sides on the wind out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I like the sound of @jezport's awning room although they seem to be see-through which would allow plenty of light into the van but could be a disadvantage if I were to try and sleep in it.

Great idea to put a cheap gazebo under the canopy - I didn't think those things had sides, I have seen them used at barbecues and rowing events.

I think the important thing will be to drink myself a five star hotel room (c:

7. phil1946

phil1946 Funster

Our 3 metre square gazebo was either LIDL or ALDI and less then £60 with 4 side panels and 4 corner leg weights that you fill with water so light to carry. Shame I do not still work near you as you could have borrowed ours.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If you plan on using it to sleep in, unless it's just for using abroad in summer.., I don't think awning panels or a gazebo are really suitable.

I know you said 'cheap' but it would be a lot better with a free standing or fixed motorhome awning ..

you can pick them up second hand for not a lot of money

just an example.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-R...742836?hash=item1c691008f4:g:xUgAAOSwtJZXXSNJ

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Funnily enough I saw that on eBay this morning - a single broken pole would not be a problem for one weekend, but Manchester would be a day's driving and a tankfull of diesel which would take the gain out of bargain (mind you that would leave me with bar... hurrah!)

I have seen a couple of suitable things but mostly miles away )c:

£60 is within budget, especially if it is the sort of thing that could be used for garden parties, although I have never felt the urge to look after my guests that well in the past (c: