Cheap and Value for money sites................... (1 Viewer)

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Hi

We like Woodlands Grove campsite between Totnes and Dartmouth in Devon. You can get 5 nights (sunday till friday morning) for £54, including electric, awning, dog etc. This is already pretty good but in addition you get free admission every day into the theme park right next door.

Offer is available anytime outside the school holidays.

Paul

oops, posted a reply after looking at tariffs, before i'd noticed their special £54 offer..
that sounds a good deal that i shall be happy to take advantage of, thank you.. (y)

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
looked up the site as will be a very handy stopover for a few days, but it does look as if they've put their prices up for this year by quite a lot..
£15.50 pitch, £3.50 ehu, same for an awning and £3 for a dog, making £25.50 a night outside of peak times, ie, bank and school holidays..:(
Nope, the offer's still on the website:
http://www.woodlandsgrove.co.uk/adult-breaks/

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
But why should they sell that corner of grass cheaply if they can sell it at a higher price? How many caravan sites have licences for more pitches than they actually have, so have the option to provide extra pitches in odd corners?

One might just as well expect a Michelin starred restaurant to serve Heinz beans on Warburtons toast for a quid rather than serve their normal high priced fare.

I never said they SHOULD sell their piece of grass cheaply, but as a piece of grass it's far from being a serviced pich .There IS a demand for such areas and they could meet that with a lesser charge!
As for your mitchelin restaurant ,if I were eating beans on toast standing in the corridor as opposed to the main reastaurant of course I'd want a. Reduction .you get what you pay for !

Vlad

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
yes i posted a reply before i saw the offer and edited my post to that effect.. :)
Oops! - crossed in the post!
I may be heading there myself I think - looks nice & peaceful and not too long a trip for us

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I never said they SHOULD sell their piece of grass cheaply, but as a piece of grass it's far from being a serviced pich .There IS a demand for such areas and they could meet that with a lesser charge!
As for your mitchelin restaurant ,if I were eating beans on toast standing in the corridor as opposed to the main reastaurant of course I'd want a. Reduction .you get what you pay for !

Vlad
Yes they could meet the demand but the point is why should they? The Michelin starred restaurant won't contemplate selling beans on toast because they have no need to. Businesses decide for themselves which sectors they wish to serve. If that means that they lose the custom of some people that is up to them. If they don't need that custom because they are successful why should they change?

If I have no problem selling my serviced pitches why on Earth should I change my business model just because somebody wants something different? Should Aston Martin start making cheap runabouts just because somebody wants that type of vehicle?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Type Aston martin runabout into google . clever businesses adapt to their customers demands !
Businesses only know customers needs if we tell them , don't just vote with your feet without telling somebody what you aren't happy with . also praise businesses when they satisfy you .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Type Aston martin runabout into google . clever businesses adapt to their customers demands !
Businesses only know customers needs if we tell them , don't just vote with your feet without telling somebody what you aren't happy with . also praise businesses when they satisfy you .
:D Not really what most people would term a runabout at £30k+ though :D

No problem with telling businesses what our needs are but businesses aren't forced to satisfy them if they don't fit in with their needs.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If I have no problem selling my serviced pitches why on Earth should I change my business model just because somebody wants something different? Should Aston Martin start making cheap runabouts just because somebody wants that type of vehicle?

:doh::doh: Hardly a change of business model, they are after all campsites. I'm simply stating an opinion that some sites Could offer the same services that others do!
Your very good at defending other people's policies!

Vlad

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Maybe, like the big commercial parks offering "cheap deals" other sites could use their basic pitches to attract regular custom to their standard pitches.

As for Michelin restaurants , they do offer incentives , some have what they call a taster menu at off peak times to allow one to sample their cuisine.

Airlines also allow people free upgrades to first class when there is space in there.....why? because they can.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
:D Not really what most people would term a runabout at £30k+ though :D
One mans runabout is another mans pipe dream !
I once had a caravan on a seasonal pitch @ £700 per annum , the year after it went up to £900 , the year after £1200 . that was the year I left , but there was still a long waiting list for places ! . :)

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Maybe, like the big commercial parks offering "cheap deals" other sites could use their basic pitches to attract regular custom to their standard pitches.

As for Michelin restaurants , they do offer incentives , some have what they call a taster menu at off peak times to allow one to sample their cuisine.

Airlines also allow people free upgrades to first class when there is space in there.....why? because they can.
Filling empty slots at off peak times is one thing but the original comment "If only more sites offered basics instead of overcharging for pitches with all the bells and whistles that some don't need." implies offering basic facilities as standard.

It isn't a matter of defending other people's policies, simply saying that every business has the right to decide on its policies.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
One might just as well expect a Michelin starred restaurant to serve Heinz beans on Warburtons toast for a quid rather than serve their normal high priced fare.

Heinz beans on warby's bread IS Michelin starred food isn't it (y)

Reactions: GJH

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I know this thread has digressed a little but seeing as it has - I'd like to comment on "Michelin" dishes.

In my book, good food is like good wine - if you like it then it's good - no matter what it is or who cooked it. It could be beans on toast or prime fillet. I also think that there's a level of food "mmmmmm" beyond which it can't taste better. I don't really accept that "Michelin" rated food can be that much better than "good" food.

And as for these arty-farty plates of "pretty morsels" - that's just a conn to make you pay more money for less on your plate.

Now, what's my missus doing for supper?

(Please carry on chatting about cheap campsites)

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
If all commercial sites offered at least a basic level of facilities we would be fine, but they don't. At least with "club" sites you do get some consistency, but at a price. I wish more uk sites would join ACSI, I think it works well. A simple all inclusive easily understandable tariff is just what I want. I'm not that bothered about "bells and whistles", but a snack bar, licensed bar, laundrette are always appreciated. Anything more and I can decide if it's cheap, VFM or OTT, but my decision and yours may be different,
regards
alan b

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If all commercial sites offered at least a basic level of facilities we would be fine, but they don't. At least with "club" sites you do get some consistency, but at a price. I wish more uk sites would join ACSI, I think it works well. A simple all inclusive easily understandable tariff is just what I want. I'm not that bothered about "bells and whistles", but a snack bar, licensed bar, laundrette are always appreciated. Anything more and I can decide if it's cheap, VFM or OTT, but my decision and yours may be different,
regards
alan b
That's perhaps the nub of the problem isn't it?

If I've understood Vlad's definition of basic level it consists of a grass pitch with fresh water and dumping facilities. That is what we tend to look for as well.

A snack bar, licensed bar and laundrette are well over the top on that definition :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Hi

We like Woodlands Grove campsite between Totnes and Dartmouth in Devon. You can get 5 nights (sunday till friday morning) for £54, including electric, awning, dog etc. This is already pretty good but in addition you get free admission every day into the theme park right next door.

Offer is available anytime outside the school holidays.

Paul

Just be careful here! I organised a rally, mostly tuggers, to come here off-season and we were given a terrace to ourselves and told to pitch how we wanted as the terrace was just for us and the site was virtually empty. When we were all pitched up in a circle with awnings up one of the brothers who own the site charged up the hill in a flurry of dust and told us to re-site our vans as per the site standing instructions. We asked what the problem was and he just said "Because I don't like looking up the hill seeing you f****** parked like that" We moved but I vowed then that I would never ever return and I never ever have! Ignorant twat! It didn't matter a jot that his brother or staff had given us free choice as to how we pitched up!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That's correct Graham ,when I refer to all the bells and whistles I'm talking about the pitch not the site!
I don't want a deluxe premium pitch with tv point , tap ,waste outlet awning,car parking space etc.I just want somewhere to park then I spend my money in their shop,clubhouse ,restaurant games machines and so on.The ones that provide such pitches end up with my hard earned in their tills and those that don't loose out.
It seems that most sites are geared up for tuggers in the way that pitches are set up,and site owners miss out on an income that for little or no outlay could add to their profits

Vlad

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's correct Graham ,when I refer to all the bells and whistles I'm talking about the pitch not the site!
I don't want a deluxe premium pitch with tv point , tap ,waste outlet awning,car parking space etc.I just want somewhere to park then I spend my money in their shop,clubhouse ,restaurant games machines and so on.The ones that provide such pitches end up with my hard earned in their tills and those that don't loose out.
It seems that most sites are geared up for tuggers in the way that pitches are set up,and site owners miss out on an income that for little or no outlay could add to their profits

Vlad
Not surprising, though, when you compare the number of caravans with the number of motorhomes in this country. That's why most sites are located where they are and very few people have opened commercial aires.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back