cheap and easy washing machine (1 Viewer)

Tonyd

Free Member
Mar 17, 2012
tamworth
Funster No
MH
B630 starline
Exp
after 13 years driving all over the continent wild camping and using lots and lots of good and not so good camping sites the job of washing your laundry is still a chore. some time a go we found a way of macking job a lot easyer.we bought a 2lt bucket with lockable lid then half filled it with hot water and washingpowder then put clothes in then locked lid down.put bucket in safe location and drive.the movement of driving will wash your cloths.then when you reach your destination you only need to rince yourwashing :thumb:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have had something similar for years. Its a Moroccan washing machine...Looks like a big toffee jar with a screw lid. Put the washing in with water and soap powder and lie it down on the bike rack and put a strap on it. The bouncing about does the job perfectly.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
another way is a posser or dobie stick.
i use a small electric single tub and an acme wringer . but the twin tubs that are for sale work well plastic lightweight . my mate as had one for about 5 years solar powered and a good bit of kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
been using at tub for years, think I posted it on here a while back in hints and tips someplace.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've got one of those little plastic twin tub jobbies does a great job had it 5 or 6 years brilliant and weighs next to nothing, great when we're on the road for 3 months at a time.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is ours. Put clothes/washing liquid/water in tub with lid before setting off, use posser as necessary on arrival, rinse in second tub :Smile:

Attachments

• washing machine 2.jpg
    washing machine 2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 94

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi graham you better keep your eyes on ebay . get a wringer /mangle .
i have been told by a german friend she as located a posser for me . see them alot used by the older germans when away in winter . good tool . but the mangle helps with quick drying .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i have been told by a german friend she as located a posser for me . see them alot used by the older germans when away in winter . good tool . but the mangle helps with quick drying .

Made the posser myself Alan. Large sink plunger (cost about £2) with holes drilled in it. We now have MkII as Jill reckoned the holes in the one in the picture were too large.

We've looked for a table top mangle but can't find one. We're both sure we had one in the 1970s when we were first married but have no idea what happened to it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
got mine and stand from my gran. my dad gave me an old aluminium collander and said put this on a stick it will work .but never done it . i hopefully will be having one with a kind of spring valve in it to swish the water. but look at wringers /mangles on ebay there are a few on there. there is a small one i saw it the other day.we use mine then put it through my mates spinner on his twin tub . the spinner gets a bit more out . but the mangler does work fine . .

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Heavy Water

Seems like a good idea although if using bucket full of water in the shower tray on the move may be too heavy and cause problems.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Quote(Quote:
[HI]Originally Posted by babyangel70 View Post
Hello
We have just bought our first motorhome and are just finding our way around it at the moment. One of the things we were looking at was buying a portable washing machine. We've found one by Purpleline for around £70. Has anyone else used one of these or can suggest an alternative?[/HI]
Thanks
Posted by Don Quixote John
We watched a member on here ( Heyupluv ) using his in Portugal last year and went out and bought one whilst in the UK in Feb this year. We have used it loads of times as fits in the shower tray and waste water goes into gray tank. Savings are great and have used it on inverter ( with engine running ) and works fine. Depends on how much you are away in MH. Cannot remember name of model, but I sure Heyupluv will post on here soon.
unquote)

I paid new around £59.00 in the uk NEW.....but here is some on ebay a lot more expensive...shop around ...mine was from a world of camping..a camping shop in the UK...this is the same as ours but of course NOT THAT PRICE !!! WOW

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-POR...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item43b997128e

These look like the new model BUT the weight might be more 12 to 13kg as opposed 7kg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZDLN2M/?tag=mhf04-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003V43Z1S/?tag=mhf04-21

They are about 130 watt to 150 watt motor in each the spinner and the washer so the use very little power we use ours most if not all the time out in out M/H

this one is second hand...

Link Removed
Link Removed

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a much better washing system than any of these.

Put dirty washing into a big, black plastic bag.

Place bag by the door of the Hymer.

It disappears...

A day later it comes back with the clothes all washed, dried and ironed.

Only snag is it appears only to work in a certain part of the South of France.

JJ :Cool:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Quote(Quote:
[HI]Originally Posted by babyangel70 View Post
Hello
We have just bought our first motorhome and are just finding our way around it at the moment. One of the things we were looking at was buying a portable washing machine. We've found one by Purpleline for around £70. Has anyone else used one of these or can suggest an alternative?[/HI]
Thanks
Posted by Don Quixote John
We watched a member on here ( Heyupluv ) using his in Portugal last year and went out and bought one whilst in the UK in Feb this year. We have used it loads of times as fits in the shower tray and waste water goes into gray tank. Savings are great and have used it on inverter ( with engine running ) and works fine. Depends on how much you are away in MH. Cannot remember name of model, but I sure Heyupluv will post on here soon.
unquote)

I paid new around £59.00 in the uk NEW.....but here is some on ebay a lot more expensive...shop around ...mine was from a world of camping..a camping shop in the UK...this is the same as ours but of course NOT THAT PRICE !!! WOW

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-POR...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item43b997128e

These look like the new model BUT the weight might be more 12 to 13kg as opposed 7kg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZDLN2M/?tag=mhf04-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003V43Z1S/?tag=mhf04-21

Th[HI]ey are about 130 watt to 150 watt motor in each the spinner and the washer so the use very little power we use ours most if not all the time out in out M/H[/HI]

this one is second hand...

Link Removed
Link Removed

Because of the low wattage they will work fine off a cheap 300-500w inverter so no need for mains.:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have a much better washing system than any of these.

Put dirty washing into a big, black plastic bag.

Place bag by the door of the Hymer.

It disappears...

A day later it comes back with the clothes all washed, dried and ironed.

[HI]Only snag is it appears only to work in a certain part of the South of France.[/HI]

JJ :Cool:
If it worked anywhere else you wouldn't half be in bother :roflmto:

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Have you a picture of the mangle? How do you anchor it? I guess it's better than lugging a spin drier around with us in Spain and better than Dick Strawbridge's salad spinner:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Have you a picture of the mangle? How do you anchor it? I guess it's better than lugging a spin drier around with us in Spain and better than Dick Strawbridge's salad spinner:Doh:

hi.mine came with its own stand . a foldable angle iron one .
place beneath for a bowl to catch the water .
its a great bit of kit . you do see them on ebay .
have had it several years . my dad had it hidden away .
i got the posser from an east german friend . she had been looking for me for awhile .
i believe manchester was the place for copper possers .
have a look here http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Acme_Wringers
there is one on a stand scroll down .
my wringer is a later version like third one down .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Link Removed
this is one just like it .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You need an Alan sized vehicle with payload to match to carry round a heavy full sized mangle ::bigsmile: We have a table top Link Removed - but better condition than the one on eBay at the moment and cost less ::bigsmile:

There are a few Possers on eBay at the moment.

Part of the trick is to use the right clothes. I have several bamboo fabric T shirts which take little washing out and are easy to dry, being small enough to go through the Wringerette - as are socks, underpants and ladies' undergarments ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
graham i carry a twintub as well. hee hee
bought an under counter fridge freezer for this year .
cant have too much space or payload .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've got one of these which is surplus to requirements if anyone wants to make me a sensible offer! We bought it with the intention of using it if we go away for a long period of time but due to downsizing to a PVC from a MH with a garage, we won't be using it now.

Attachments

• Presawash.jpg
    Presawash.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 36

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I've got one of these which is surplus to requirements if anyone wants to make me a sensible offer! We bought it with the intention of using it if we go away for a long period of time but due to downsizing to a PVC from a MH with a garage, we won't be using it now.

PM sent. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back