Cheap 4g Mifi ... grab one while you can!!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are on top of hill at slights just outside whitby
Using mifi on EE
Getting just under 6 meg on speed test but only on 3g so I assume 4 g is not avalable in this area
Still a lot quicker than we get at home

Don't thinks you can get 4G there yet and you're right on the limit for 3G so the MIFI must be working well if you can!!::bigsmile:

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for the answer above Mel much appreciated, you state " The MIFI itself can be directly linked to your equipment (ie tethered via cable)" does that apply to an iPad as well (with no sim slot) if you attach an mini usb to the normal usb?
Tia

:thumb:
Not a clue! I've never seen an iPad 'in the flesh' and have no knowledge of them however if it has a wifi capability it should be able to connect to the MIFI with that so you won't need to 'tether' it AFAIK.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Not a clue! I've never seen an iPad 'in the flesh' and have no knowledge of them however if it has a wifi capability it should be able to connect to the MIFI with that so you won't need to 'tether' it AFAIK.

I have a IPad, and I did all my changes through it over the wireless, no cable link needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The MIFI only takes a standard sized sim, so don't get a Micro or 'Nano' sim as you won't be able to use it! Whether you can use a 'phone' sim in it I don't know, only the sim provider will be able to tell you that I should think but looking at the info on the '3' site it does state "SIM for use in a 3G phone.":

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=3034&intid=3storephrbn1118

Some info on PAYG and monthly contract mobile broadband (only) deals here:

Link Removed

http://www.money.co.uk/broadband/mobile-broadband.htm

Hi Mel, thanks, looks like the 3 sim is for phones only. Just found Gifgaf do a gigabag sim, 3gb for £12.50. 30 day contract. Might give them a go.
Allan

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks for the answer above Mel much appreciated, you state " The MIFI itself can be directly linked to your equipment (ie tethered via cable)" does that apply to an iPad as well (with no sim slot) if you attach an mini usb to the normal usb?
Tia

:thumb:

Very simple to attach an ipad via wireless - switch your 3g off ( if your ipadhas it) and simply search for the mifi unit in the discovered wifi networks once you have switched the mifi and its wifi on, of course. Then connect to the mifi by typing in the correct password (its under the mifi unit and more or less unreadable! ) and it will connect very quickly. It works brilliantly :thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Mel, thanks, looks like the 3 sim is for phones only. Just found Gifgaf do a gigabag sim, 3gb for £12.50. 30 day contract. Might give them a go.
Allan

Allan, I bought a few EE sims preloaded with 6GB each for £19 each - they are a relative bargain given that the 3GB 3 sims have suddenly shot up to nearly £20! They are also EE so you don't immediately need to unlock the mifi unit and they are fullsize. I gave the link I used in an earlier post above. Plus you get 4g speeds if you are in a 4g reception area. :thumb:the sim data lasts for 90 days from activation or until its used up. You can then top up or simply throw the sim away and insert another.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Well, got a bit of a result today.
Had a phone call from someone on behalf of the CEO, very apologetic, offered me a voucher to reimburse the cost of the unit and said he would contact the store to get them to speak to EE and try and get my credit restored.
Then, a call from the store manager where I tried to buy the unit. Promised to speak to the staff involved and to EE to sort out what happened.

So, looks like I have a free MiFi unit. Just looking forward to the free 12 month sim from EE by way of an apology..:ROFLMAO:

Allan
That's what I like to read. ::bigsmile: Well done Allan. :thumb:

I wasn't prepared to let the lack of a free "bolt on" go unchallenged, so after being told by EE that I had to return to the store, that's what I did..........twice. The first time with the contract. "Sorry sir, there's nothing we can do without the receipt". :whatthe:
The second time, armed with the receipt, I duly informed the duty manager, that I wasn't going away until the matter was resolved. He tried to tell me that the item I had bought required 2 months of contract payments, whereupon I could apply online for a free gift. "I don't think so" said I. He then wandered off and came back with a box containing a MiFi. "Here" he said, "it's on the box." "It might be on that box ", I said, "but it's not on the box of a totally different MiFi which I purchased. :Angry: I've obviously got IDIOT stamped across my forehead, cos that's what he was treating me as. :Angry:

To save a lot of hassle and time wasting for me, I agreed to accept a credit of £15.99, in lui of the "free" bolt on (second month rent free) that should have been applied to the contract. I may use that to buy Rita a 32Gb micro SD card for her new Android tablet. :winky:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Very simple to attach an ipad via wireless - switch your 3g off ( if your ipadhas it) and simply search for the mifi unit in the discovered wifi networks once you have switched the mifi and its wifi on, of course. Then connect to the mifi by typing in the correct password (its under the mifi unit and more or less unreadable! ) and it will connect very quickly. It works brilliantly :thumb:

Thanks for this ............as you say the info. on the underside of the Mifi is practically unreadable after only 3 days :whatthe: so as a precaution have written down all data for future needs.
jude

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks for this ............as you say the info. on the underside of the Mifi is practically unreadable after only 3 days :whatthe: so as a precaution have written down all data for future needs.
jude
Hi Jude,

If you press the WPS button (once or twice, can't quite remember) on the bottom edge of the MiFi, up comes the SSID code on the screen, followed by the WiFi password. :thumb:

HTH,

Jock.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
That's what I like to read. ::bigsmile: Well done Allan. :thumb:

I wasn't prepared to let the lack of a free "bolt on" go unchallenged, so after being told by EE that I had to return to the store, that's what I did..........twice. The first time with the contract. "Sorry sir, there's nothing we can do without the receipt". :whatthe:
The second time, armed with the receipt, I duly informed the duty manager, that I wasn't going away until the matter was resolved. He tried to tell me that the item I had bought required 2 months of contract payments, whereupon I could apply online for a free gift. "I don't think so" said I. He then wandered off and came back with a box containing a MiFi. "Here" he said, "it's on the box." "It might be on that box ", I said, "but it's not on the box of a totally different MiFi which I purchased. :Angry: I've obviously got IDIOT stamped across my forehead, cos that's what he was treating me as. :Angry:

To save a lot of hassle and time wasting for me, I agreed to accept a credit of £15.99, in lui of the "free" bolt on (second month rent free) that should have been applied to the contract. I may use that to buy Rita a 32Gb micro SD card for her new Android tablet. :winky:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Hi -- Sheila here (Rogers wife)
After a nightmare just getting the mifi (because we have no credit record and are retired meaning that there was doubt as to whether we could pay the £15.99 our credit check was declined!!!! - daughter did it for us so we now have one) I have noticed that included is bolt on 1 and bolt on 2 -- (stating that it includes insurance and bolt ons) After reading previous posts does this mean we have two months included ?? and if so do we have to cancel straight away or after the first month has gone?? Thanks in anticipation of the right info

peter125

Free Member
Nov 26, 2012
cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1982
mifi

Many thanks for the info got mine in Cardiff no problem, fired it up its fast excellent bit of kit:Smile::thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
After a nightmare just getting the mifi (because we have no credit record and are retired meaning that there was doubt as to whether we could pay the £15.99 our credit check was declined!!!! - daughter did it for us so we now have one) I have noticed that included is bolt on 1 and bolt on 2 -- (stating that it includes insurance and bolt ons) After reading previous posts does this mean we have two months included ?? and if so do we have to cancel straight away or after the first month has gone?? Thanks in anticipation of the right info
Hi Shiela,

I can't answer your question, but if you phone EE customer services on (01707) 315000 (or 150 using the EE mobile simcard), they will be able to look at your account, and tell you what is on there. It was only because PC World hadn't attached any bolt ons, that EE couldn't sort it out for me.

HTH,

Jock.

P.S. Be prepared for a long wait, if you do phone them. :winky:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

AFAIK:

Bolt on no 1 is the 'free' one that you should get but it will depend on exactly what your daughter chose - if you've got it, it should be stated on your 'agreement' shown just above the mobile number.

Bolt on no 2 is a chargeable one, such as paying X for insurance, a clone phone etc, so unless your daughter chose it you won't have it!

Unfortunately the bolt ons are nothing to do with EE ... it appears that PC World/Currys are doing these themselves (that's what EE are telling me) so you'd have to argue it out with them if you haven't got them! A call to EE though will at least tell you exactly what your commitment is to them.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hi Shiela,

I can't answer your question, but if you phone EE customer services on (01707) 315000 (or 150 using the EE mobile simcard), they will be able to look at your account, and tell you what is on there. It was only because PC World hadn't attached any bolt ons, that EE couldn't sort it out for me.

HTH,

Jock.

P.S. Be prepared for a long wait, if you do phone them. :winky:

Thanks

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3 hour wait

Hi all

I decided to get one of these and suffered 3 hours in Currys :cry:. The contract had been setup and the direct debit had been sorted and the sim had been linked to the dongle. The problem was their till would not accept what they were trying to ring up so I could not pay.

With regards to the credit check I am a bit confused as what I was told was that they were going to debit £1.00 from my account and then re-credit it back to my account as this was all that was needed just to prove I had an account and a Direct Debit could be started on it. So where all this full credit check stuff came from is a bit strange and people were refused at the point of sale.

After the 3 hours of waiting I was then told that they had sorted it out with head office and I could then pay for the dongle and the sim ::bigsmile:. My fault I should have opened the package and tried the sim, yes you guessed it the wrong size. I then tried to contact the store direct but got hold of someone in an central help office who knew nothing about my transaction or my problem and he would not put me through to the store so I could talk to them. I drove back to the store and got the manager to give me a sim converter to go from nano sim to full size sim and all worked then as advertised. The manager then said that must be why our till would not accept the transaction as the wrong sim was paired to the dongle. He assures me that all is now well so in 1 months time I will cancel the contract 1 month free, 1 month paid. Unlock the dongle for .99p and happily carry on interneting at full speed on 3g and when 3 go 4g try the ultimate download speed. :thumb:

Kevin and Tricia

dbailey2

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS ADVANTAGE T6511
Exp
Since 2012
Bolt On's

Can I ask a general question. Has everybody, in one form or another, been offered a bolt on when they purchased this deal from either Curry's or PC World.
In my case the Curry's assistant completed all the contract details on the shop computer then had trouble printing it out. Eventually after contacting EE he printed out a blank contract form which he then completed by hand and I signed accordingly.

I have scanned the contract form in detail but I cannot find any reference to any bolt on. Should I go back to Curry's and query this ??

Cheers

Doug.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can I ask a general question. Has everybody, in one form or another, been offered a bolt on when they purchased this deal from either Curry's or PC World.
In my case the Curry's assistant completed all the contract details on the shop computer then had trouble printing it out. Eventually after contacting EE he printed out a blank contract form which he then completed by hand and I signed accordingly.

I have scanned the contract form in detail but I cannot find any reference to any bolt on. Should I go back to Curry's and query this ??

Cheers

Doug.
You can try! From what I can determine the 'free bolt on' shouldn't have been given at all as it is meant only for the longer (12 month+) contracts so may actually NOT be honoured as it isn't an EE offer, it is PC World c*cking-up! You should therefore not bank on actually getting a free month from EE so will have to argue the case with PC World to see if they will reimburse you for it - note that the plebs in the shop often don't know what they're doing so just click on anything that come up!

Also, those who are paying for the first month under the assumption that the second month will be free would be wise to ring EE and check as you could easily find out that you will not get a free month at all so instead of only paying for 1 month (ie the first) you'll end up paying again if you don't give the mandatory 30 days notice, whether you use the 2nd month or not!

When I started this thread I mentioned that you would have to pay for the MIFI and the first month (30 day rolling contract to be precise) and cancel immediately to avoid paying for a second month ... so if you haven't cancelled yet I would strongly advise you to check with EE exactly what you will be charged for!!! If some of you end up getting a free month, either the first or second, then that should be regarded as a big bonus! ::bigsmile:

In any case, don't anyone come back and moan at me that they haven't got a free month and have ended up paying more because they didn't do as I recommended originally. :Smile:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
In any case, don't anyone come back and moan at me that they haven't got a free month and have ended up paying more because they didn't do as I recommended originally. :Smile:
No chance here Mel. :thumb:

kkclassic said:
I drove back to the store and got the manager to give me a sim converter to go from nano sim to full size sim and all worked then as advertised.
Hi Kevin & Tricia,

According to the instructions for the E5776 MiFi, a micro/nano card with adapter is unsutable for this device, and only a standard sim is compatible.
I nearly got lumbered with a non standard sim, had I not been reading the instructions, whilst matey was busy on his PC. :Doh:

Cheers,

Jock.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Just to clarify an adapter with a micro sim does work (mine is that) an adaptor with an nano sim will not work (so I have been told)
I cancelled on the day of purchase and was told by EE that it gave me a months free :thumb:
As mentioned earlier the cock ups :Doh:

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
Cheap 4g Mifi... grab one while you can!!!

Thanks for the heads up Minx got ours in Chester, all set and ready to go now, or will be soon as our Camper is back on the road. Had a prang on our way to the tunnel in Sept and still waiting for parts from Germany, guess thats the Summer holiday down the spout. But there's always tomorrow, plenty of time to get ready for Jim's gathering in Portugal :Blush:

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
No chance here Mel. :thumb:

Hi Kevin & Tricia,

According to the instructions for the E5776 MiFi, a micro/nano card with adapter is unsutable for this device, and only a standard sim is compatible.
I nearly got lumbered with a non standard sim, had I not been reading the instructions, whilst matey was busy on his PC. :Doh:

Cheers,

Jock.

Hi

Thanks for that will give EE a call and discuss options with them as how to sort this out.

Kevin and Tricia

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Hi

Thanks for that will give EE a call and discuss options with them as how to sort this out.

Kevin and Tricia

Hope you have plenty of spare time. I'm on the phone to them now, been on hold for 32 minutes so far. The musics not too bad...".
Allan

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
So, 45 minutes later. Explained I wanted to cancel the contract and it seems Currys set this up as a sim only deal where I get the first month free, so as I cancelled the contract 4 days after I bought it, the contract runs out on 4th Dec, and I pay from 31st Nov to 4th Dec, about £2!
Plus, I got a refund of £30 from Currys for their mess up with the contract.
Not a bad deal, after all, a mifi unit and 3 GB data for £2. :thumb:

Allan

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Got two of the Huawei 5776's just done the unlock code on the first one, and the internet is running like the proverbial off a stick - simples. :Smile:

Thanks again Minx :thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Thanks to the OP for a Job Well Done

Unit Bought and working a treat

3g easy 4g acheived once great stuff and thank you

Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I bought two and now have the second one for sale at £60.

It has has been unlocked but still has the original EE Sim. It was unlocked using my Three Sim so any purchaser of the Mifi would need to have a suitable mobile broadband Sim.

If anyone is interested please pm me.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Has anyone found a half decent case for this, ideally with belt attachment? Tried the usual High St places but nothing is quite wide enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back