Cheap 4g Mifi ... grab one while you can!!! (1 Viewer)

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Thanks for the MIFI information have just managed to reserve one.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
EE have issued a reward for the identity of a certain minx character
Known to frequent shady motorhome sites
Reward 1 free mifi(no data plan) for information leading to immediate arrest for maliciously spreading rumors about good deals

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
No good to me, ( see previous post) I can't sign up for a data plan :cry:
Bye the way Mel, thanks for the info on how to get this little thing working, if I should manage to get mine tomorrow after another trip to currys ...::bigsmile:riving2:
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
dundee
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since early 70s
Purchased yesterday from Currys Dundee store with no problems from staff-most unusual. Up and running last night and have cancelled rolling contract this morning no problem .Brilliant reception and i am using it as i type this.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Well, thankyou Currys.
After being rejected yesterday by Curry's credit check ( and subsequently finding my credit rating and report is excellent) I rang Equifax ( Currys credit check agency), why with a high rating, I was refused.
It seems the "assistant" tried 3 times to put the thing through, his fault, and this means 3 credit check searches were made on the same day, and EE decided this was enough to refuse the deal. Apparently, it looked like I was " fishing for credit!" Its not just me, apparently it goes against the address.
So, it looks like I can't get one.

Anybody got / bought / buying a spare they would like to sell?

Allan

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Well, thankyou Currys.
After being rejected yesterday by Curry's credit check ( and subsequently finding my credit rating and report is excellent) I rang Equifax ( Currys credit check agency), why with a high rating, I was refused.
It seems the "assistant" tried 3 times to put the thing through, his fault, and this means 3 credit check searches were made on the same day, and EE decided this was enough to refuse the deal. Apparently, it looked like I was " fishing for credit!" Its not just me, apparently it goes against the address.

Allan
That is extremely unlucky Allan. :Sad:

I'd be kicking up a right old stink with Curry's management, and that of Equifax. :Angry:

Have you got a relative or friend of a different address, to do the deal for you?

Regards,

Jock.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
That is extremely unlucky Allan. :Sad:

I'd be kicking up a right old stink with Curry's management, and that of Equifax. :Angry:

Have you got a relative or friend of a different address, to do the deal for you?

Regards,

Jock.

I had exactly the same experience with Currys & PCW. I was refused the direct debit and Ive no debt or outstanding credit. In the end bought both in Lynda's name. Same joint bank account and it went straight through. Spoke to Equifax (in Manilla) or somewhere couldn't understand the woman. Im glad to hear that that its down to the PCW operative and not that I have a black mark credit wise.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Well, thankyou Currys.

Allan

Allan, Cuurys should really be sorting out their mess manually with EE, with a manager phoning their credit team and explaining the error by their spotty oik - it could all be processed manually by both of them if you can find anyone arsed to do it, that is. They would all rather spend weeks fobbing you off than admit to any mistake and fix it up.

The credit reference agencies all flag up multiple searches shortly after each other as an alert that someone is seeking masses of credit which leads to an automatic decline on most automated systems, but if they could be bothered to phone EE like I said, and someone their reviewed the Equifax file, it would be clear the searches were in minutes from said spotty oik, and just process it manually and override the "computer says no" part.

Your address doesn't get "blacklisted" by the way, its an urban myth........sign up to a free site like Martin Lewis' with lots of info on credit agencies and what they can and cannot do. The searches will "fall off" the radar after 6 months if you do not challenge them - you can appeal them to Equifax who will go back to EE about it, it all gets very tedious and can take weeks and weeks to have them removed, but you can do it. :Eeek: So sorry about it though. Currys and PCW are absolutely dreadful and the same fate could have befallen any of us :Eeek:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I had exactly the same experience with Currys & PCW. I was refused the direct debit and Ive no debt or outstanding credit. In the end bought both in Lynda's name. Same joint bank account and it went straight through. Spoke to Equifax (in Manilla) or somewhere couldn't understand the woman. Im glad to hear that that its down to the PCW operative and not that I have a black mark credit wise.

The trouble is that these mifi units are so new that the "process" of sorting out the EE registration etc has not got through to PCW staff - only one or two per store seem to know what to do as it is a bit esoteric, having watched the kerfuffle with mine. Luckily the staff who didn't know what they were doing didn't press any submit buttons before calling someone who did, so multiple credit searches within minutes were avoided. I am sure the problem is quite widespread. :Eeek:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
So not being at all tech savvy but always on the lookout for a deal :ROFLMAO:

is this...............:Eeek:

1 Hurry! Last few EE Huawei E5776 4G Mobile Broadband – from £15.99 per month - EE Huawei E5776 4G Mobile Broadband – from £15.99 per month - Pay Monthly Mobile Wi-Fi •WiFi Dongle
•From £15.99 per month
•Stop at any time with 30 days notice
 Home delivery unavailable  Collect in store
£29.99

what I need............Cancel contract / unlock........... and I can then use the 3G sim from my existing dongle. Yes ? Seeeemples :cry:OR HAVE I GOT IT WRONG ............................................................................AGAIN????????

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Allan, Cuurys should really be sorting out their mess manually with EE, with a manager phoning their credit team and explaining the error by their spotty oik - it could all be processed manually by both of them if you can find anyone arsed to do it, that is. They would all rather spend weeks fobbing you off than admit to any mistake and fix it up.

The credit reference agencies all flag up multiple searches shortly after each other as an alert that someone is seeking masses of credit which leads to an automatic decline on most automated systems, but if they could be bothered to phone EE like I said, and someone their reviewed the Equifax file, it would be clear the searches were in minutes from said spotty oik, and just process it manually and override the "computer says no" part.

Your address doesn't get "blacklisted" by the way, its an urban myth........sign up to a free site like Martin Lewis' with lots of info on credit agencies and what they can and cannot do. The searches will "fall off" the radar after 6 months if you do not challenge them - you can appeal them to Equifax who will go back to EE about it, it all gets very tedious and can take weeks and weeks to have them removed, but you can do it. :Eeek: So sorry about it though. Currys and PCW are absolutely dreadful and the same fate could have befallen any of us :Eeek:

Sometimes talking to Currys staff feels like talking to a goldfish! :Doh:

I went back today after ringing Equifax. Equifax told me my credit rating is excellent ( 551 out of a maximum of 600) and to try again. If I get declined again, tell Currys to speak to EE and they would sort it out and get me the unit with contract.
Well, as a famous 1940's Prime minister once said "I have to tell you now that no such undertaking ( or Mifi) has been received..........."

Oiky assistant spoke at length to EE, who admitted that my credit rating was excellent, but still wouldn't approve me. I would have to go to an EE shop for them to sort out! Apparently they could do a similar deal for me.........
So, holding back the urge to maim, I walked to the EE shop where I waited for 15 minutes and got no nearer to being served.
I didn't see a mifi unit for £29.99, cheapest was an Alcatel Y800 for £70.

Had to get home at that point because we are selling the house and while the agents are showing another penniless couple around our house, we're going off in the van to the beach for lunch.

So, all in all a very frustrating couple of days. :Angry:

I will be writing to Currys to tell them what a crap outfit they are and will try again at EE, if only to get them to acknowledge that I am creditworthy.

Not sure I want a mifi unit that much now!

Allan

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
So not being at all tech savvy but always on the lookout for a deal :ROFLMAO:

is this...............:Eeek:

1 Hurry! Last few EE Huawei E5776 4G Mobile Broadband – from £15.99 per month - EE Huawei E5776 4G Mobile Broadband – from £15.99 per month - Pay Monthly Mobile Wi-Fi •WiFi Dongle
•From £15.99 per month
•Stop at any time with 30 days notice
 Home delivery unavailable  Collect in store
£29.99

what I need............Cancel contract / unlock........... and I can then use the 3G sim from my existing dongle. Yes ? Seeeemples :cry:OR HAVE I GOT IT WRONG ............................................................................AGAIN????????
No Wildge,

You haven't got it wrong................but if you don't get your a##e in gear, you will get it wrong, ie, there won't be any left. :winky:

With respect, :winky:

Jock.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
clipped.........I will be writing to Currys to tell them what a crap outfit they are and will try again at EE, if only to get them to acknowledge that I am creditworthy.

Not sure I want a mifi unit that much now!

Allan
Sorry to hear that Allan. :Sad:

I was hoping, (as you were), that having approached EE, and then gone back to PCW, that would have been an end to the matter, ie, resolved. Sadly not. :cry:

Fate obvioulsy has had a hand in your current situation. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Strongly worded letter sent to Currys at the contact email address they supplied. Just got an automated response from the KnowHow team. So, thats not going anywhere is it?
Allan

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Strongly worded letter sent to Currys at the contact email address they supplied. Just got an automated response from the KnowHow team. So, thats not going anywhere is it?
Allan

Sadly you are probably right - PCW will blame EE and wash their hands of it (not our decision guv). They are a totally senseless bunch, the lot of them. EE isn't renowned for its fab service either - i spent over 45 minutes on hold to cancel the contract :Eeek: see if you can email the CEO of PCW and Currys, FWIW it often gets a better response.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I've printed off the email and will post it to their Sheffield address.
Just need to find the CEO email address now

Allan

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
running on mine now plugged into my main computer at 13.6 meg, in my village if I get 1 meg I am lucky well pleased ..best buy I have had for years ....ta again minx for heads up:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
You haven't got it wrong................but if you don't get your a##e in gear, you will get it wrong, ie, there won't be any left. :winky:

With respect, :winky:

Jock.

:thumb:
Picking it up tomorrow Jock .......just wanted confirmation on the details .
Many thanks Minx for all the information.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
running on mine now plugged into my main computer at 13.6 meg, in my village if I get 1 meg I am lucky well pleased ..best buy I have had for years ....ta again minx for heads up:Smile::Smile::Smile:
Oh how I dream of 1 meg!!!!

We've tried the EE sim in the MIFI and it is chronic! It took all day, and I do mean that, all day to try to download a simple film file ... I could have painted the Forth Road Bridge and watched it dry several times waiting for it to finish! The EE broadband in my area is just not usable so a good job I didn't want to use the sim! I'll stick with my '3' broadband ... just over £8 a month for 15gb! :thumb:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp

We've tried the EE sim in the MIFI and it is chronic! It took all day, and I do mean that, all day to try to download a simple film file ... I could have painted the Forth Road Bridge and watched it dry several times waiting for it to finish! The EE broadband in my area is just not usable so a good job I didn't want to use the sim! I'll stick with my '3' broadband ... just over £8 a month for 15gb! :thumb:

How strange I have tried it over weekend at home and in van overnighter at Barnsley and today in Middlesborough and it is seriously fast beats my home broadband and works fibre optic hands down

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
HI all

I have got the mifi, thanks Minx. PC World were rubbish too. They couldn't print out the contract, so had to ring EE and get an email version of a blank form to complete by hand. The whole thing took an hour.

I am waiting for the unlock code, so will try to unlock it then, ( a bit nervous). I have cancelled the contract, as we dont get any signal where we are. In fact we dont get 3 or 02 either. The EE was running on 2g and kept dropping out. The site we are on is in a river valley with trees all around, so although coverage checkers say we can get signal we can't. Does anyone know whether an antenna or iboost would work.

If not, we will just have to use it when we are travelling. I am particularly hoping to use it in Portugal in January.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I've printed off the email and will post it to their Sheffield address.
Just need to find the CEO email address now

Allan
Here you go Allan.

Just scroll down, and Everything Everywhere is listed. I'm not sure which is the parent company for Currys/PC World, so can't help you there. :Sad:

Good luck. :thumb:

Jock.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks Jock
I'll wait to see if I get a reply from the email or letter first before I email the CEO
Allan

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Am I missing a trick here? Currently I use my 02 Unlimited Data Plan @ £21 per month. I can tether my wife's Ipad and my Nexus 7 to my mobile very easily assuming I have a decent signal.

Are you using your mobiles sim cards or paying extra for another sim card in Mifi?

My data plan is a very old Simplicity Tariff which offered a free 'Bolt On' I obviously went for unlimited data. Another bonus - I recently changed my land phone line from BT to O2 and they gave me Free Broadband (for a year) and £200 credit onto my mobile account.

Rob

emmbee

Free Member
Oct 17, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
7 years

Hi

Could you tell me where to find this deal ?

Thanks

mark

dbailey2

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS ADVANTAGE T6511
Exp
Since 2012
Mobile Broadband

Hi,

Like a lot of our club members I have jumped on the band wagon and ordered a Huawei E5776, collect it this afternoon at Currys Romford Essex. Mary and I are not regular users of mobile phones so we do not have a regular monthly account, we just pay as we go. We load it with say £20 pounds and when it runs out we top it up again.
I was hoping to do something similar with this device because we will only use it when we are on road touring in the van.
Can anyone recommend a provider/ SIM that will do the job.
Thanks,
Doug.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Managed to get everything up and running and changed cards sucessfully thanks to minx.
Ee card back in till 27th november at least, might buy another card when it runs out.

For us it will be most of benefitwhen we travel to other countries and we can put a local card in it.

Thanks once again for all your hard work minx, and your instruction sheet guide.

Pat

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi,

Like a lot of our club members I have jumped on the band wagon and ordered a Huawei E5776, collect it this afternoon at Currys Romford Essex. Mary and I are not regular users of mobile phones so we do not have a regular monthly account, we just pay as we go. We load it with say £20 pounds and when it runs out we top it up again.
I was hoping to do something similar with this device because we will only use it when we are on road touring in the van.
Can anyone recommend a provider/ SIM that will do the job.
Thanks,
Doug.

Doug, just cancel the contract as Minx has outlined and unlock the device if you wish, following the how-to guide. Then simply buy a data sim off ebay or elsewhere - see my link for a 6GB EE sim up above this post earlier in the thread for the link - and pop it in when you want to use it. Once activated, the 6GB sim remains available for 90 days or until the data is used up, whatever comes first. You can then either chuck it away and put another card in, or top up online if you don't have a second card to replace it, to hand. I always recommend buying 2 or 3 of these cards when you see a good deal - they only expire 90 days after they are activated.

emmbee

Free Member
Oct 17, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
7 years
Thanks for the reply Jock, and apologies for an ambiguous post.

I actually meant to ask where I can buy 15gb of download for £8.00 per month !

Mark

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back