Cheap 4g Mifi ... grab one while you can!!! (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I planned to do the same but my ipad can see it with EE sim installed but asks for a password. I have not set up a PW and there isn`t one mentioned in the quick start guide.

Anyone know where to find it?

Thanks

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I planned to do the same but my ipad can see it with EE sim installed but asks for a password. I have not set up a PW and there isn`t one mentioned in the quick start guide.

Thanks

It is under the wifi very hard to see as it is in dark colour

:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Thanks
You've probably sorted it by now, but for others wondering, if you press the WPS button twice, up comes the SSID number, followed by the WiFi pass key (pass word) a few seconds later.

That is a new function to me, and one I quite like. :Smile:

Cheers,

Jock.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm on mine as I type this..
Its very fast ::bigsmile:
I stuck an old o2 sim in to unlock it..
All good
I intend to get one of those £12.90 three sims as I believe three customers automatically get 4g in december
(is that right??)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Collected mine, too, from the B-o-T store, good grief, what a saga! :Eeek:

First they tried to palm me off with some rubbishy 3 mifi gadget which wasn't remotely the same as the EE one I had ordered, then the disinterested teenager called a manager with a flounce of the head and the Great Wait began. I watched the woman move verrrry verrry slowly towards the collection desk having lots of chats en route, stopping to do gawd knows what, and eventually arrived at the collection desk and totally ignored when I spoke - the currys / pc world "arrogance git" attitude certainly hasn't changed over the years !

Then a comedy of errors began and eventually the original teenager "found" the mifi unit in the same cupboard she had been scratching about in,all along, after said manager told her it MUST be in there as that is where the stock was showing...... Fine, except it wasn't , as she had no idea how to sell these things and set them up. Another lengthy wait for a spotty oik to appear so he could do the contract thingy. Eventually it happened.......I had to laugh at the unreadable contract they produced, I am sure it would not stand up to scrutiny as the text is truly too small to be read except under a magnifying glass!

Finally done, after an hour, I leave the store and just about to drive off when my mobile rings......."hello, its pc world burton on trent here, sorry to have to advise you that the item you reserved is not in stock". Me: "How strange, I have just collected it ........." "Oh sorry. Must be another customer then."

Hmmmm. The usual incompetent chaos of currys / pc world, or a failed attempt at trying to hijack one of these obviously sought after thingys for a mate........? Who knows.

Anyway, at least I have one, and will try EE again tomorrow to cancel the contract and get the dongle unlocked with a little help from Minx et al! :thumb:

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Looks like I had a rare good experience when I picked mine up from the Clacton store today. Excellent friendly service and was I the only person that was told I was automatically entitled to a free extra?? As the assistant knew I intended to cancel the contract he suggested the most appropriate freebie would be the second months line rental free so I won't be giving my 30 days notice until next month. Bargain!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Evening, or should I say morning guys! :Eeek:

I've finished the final version of the instructions so have now emailed them to those who requested them.

If anyone else wants them, just PM me with your email address ... I'm off to bed shortly though so you'll have to wait until tomorrow!!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Mel, just to say a big thanks for the heads up on this, even if PC World were generally their dire selves :Smile: the gadget is brilliant and my ipad2 seems so fast now......using it on the mifi from work this morning, switched my 3g on the ipad off ::bigsmile:

Just need to phone EE again (did try yesterday ) to cancel. Hopefully 3 will be cheaper as you can get 3GB 3 sims for about £12 and they last 90 days, so def cheaper than £16 a month depending on hour data usage. The EE set up is pretty slick, though, its a really really nice gadget for all those who like gadgets!:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Collected mine, too, from the B-o-T store, good grief, what a saga! :Eeek:

First they tried to palm me off with some rubbishy 3 mifi gadget which wasn't remotely the same as the EE one I had ordered, then the disinterested teenager called a manager with a flounce of the head and the Great Wait began.
Glad that Steve (SandJ) and I, weren't the only ones Laurie. :roflmto:

By the time I left the store, four different people had dealt with my order, which wasn't in the orders cupboard, but on the shop floor display unit. :Doh: I didn't get a copy of the signed contract, which like yours, was too small to read anyway, and I didn't get my freebie add-on. :Doh:

All I've got to do now, (after receiving Mel's excellent tutorial :Smile:) is get the unlocking code, and do the business.

Cheers for now,

Jock. :Smile:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Just had a quick search for the usual 3 3GB sims I usually buy for my ipad and discovered the price has been hiked to around £15 -£17 :Eeek::Eeek: quite a bit more than the £10-12 I last paid a few months back ! (Usually buy a few at a time).

However, found this Link Removed. And have bought two........much better value at under £20 for 6GB and its 4g.......

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Glad that Steve (SandJ) and I, weren't the only ones Laurie. :roflmto:

By the time I left the store, four different people had dealt with my order, which wasn't in the orders cupboard, but on the shop floor display unit. :Doh: I didn't get a copy of the signed contract, which like yours, was too small to read anyway, and I didn't get my freebie add-on. :Doh:

All I've got to do now, (after receiving Mel's excellent tutorial :Smile:) is get the unlocking code, and do the business.

Cheers for now,

Jock. :Smile:

Just the same here Jock, they must all go through the same training school :Doh:

Also didn't get the free add on but intend to argue about that when I finally get through to the cancellations (hanging on for over 30 min already, luckily my minutes are unlimited and Mel gave us that landline number! ).

However, the gadget is brilliant. Using it as I type! :thumb:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've been asked various questions about the MIFI and other bits and pieces, so to save me having to keep sending the info out individually here it is!

• Phone numbers to contact EE to cancel contract:
    - EE Landline number: 01707 315000
    - EE free-phone number: 0800 801080
    - T-mobile or Orange 'pay monthly' phone contract holders (not PAYG) can ring 150 free

• EE (everything everywhere) is just the name that is use since Orange and T-Mobile got together to provide their services, basically a rebranding exercise (it's nothing to do with 4g itself).

• The MIFI is 4g compatible and the sim that comes with it is a 4g contract one but you will ONLY be able to use 4g in the areas where it is available (it is being rolled out by some providers at present and others are already providing it but often for an extra charge). If 4g isn't available to you yet the MIFI is still one heck of a fast 3g one - we checked on our download speeds today, with our original '3' MIFI we rarely got a maximum of 200kbps on a good day, normally around 100kbps, but with the new MIFI we have had up to 900kbps!!! :Eeek:

• The sim you use in the MIFI itself doesn't have to be 4g, it's the deal that you're on that will determine if you can get 4g - ie you have to have a 4g pay monthly contract (either the 30 day rolling one, or a 'term' one) or 4g PAYG. If your deal is NOT a 4g one you won't be able to connect to 4g even though the MIFI unit is 4g compatible - it depends on what your provider is allowing you to have. So, if your current provider isn't doing 4g then you won't get 4g if you us it in the MIFI.

• Some providers are giving 4g to their customers for no extra cost - for example '3' will be allowing all their mobile broadband customers 4g connection free of charge when 4g is rolled out in their area, but in order to benefit from this the customers would need a 4g compatible device (which is what this MIFI is) to be able to access it ... I think that makes sense! It's a bit like having a TV without freeview built in and trying to watch digital tv ... you can't! The same goes for mobile phones, if they are not 4g compatible regardless of whether 4g is available, if the phone can't handle it, you won't be able to use it. At some point in the future I'm sure all mobile equipment will use 4g as standard so by having a MIFI which is 4g compatible this is 'future proofing'.
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Built_for_internetting?site=d

Hope this helps ... I'm learning about all of this too!!!!

If I get the chance I'll actually create a web page with the info on so I can just refer people to that as I'm getting bombarded with PMs asking for the info!!! :RollEyes: Not that I mind so keep asking if you want it but please ensure you give me your email address.:thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Mel, if you buy one of the EE sims as per my link above, ie 6GB preloaded for under £20, lasts up to 3 months, then you shouldn't need to unlock? I can see the value in it if 3 become more competitive as 4G rolls out further if they are going to give their customers 4G for no extra.......but as their current 3GB sims seem to be selling for about £15 or more currently :Eeek: the £19 EE deal for 6GB makes more sense to me........

I work in Birmingham, so are lucky enough to get 4G here and I must say, this mifi is amazingly fast........

Just managed to cancel the contract as well, took 45 minutes on hold though :Eeek:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Right you lot ... I've just managed to create a basic website with the info in it so if you want it go to this site:

http://melsweb.yolasite.com/

It's not pretty but it is all there! I'll add to it as and when I can with any other pertinent info!!!!

Mel

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Both contracts cancelled - now will use up the 2 x 3gb before attempting the unlock. Thanks for the tips and help Mel.:thumb:

Ken & Lynda

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Right you lot ... I've just managed to create a basic website with the info in it so if you want it go to this site:

It's not pretty but it is all there! I'll add to it as and when I can with any other pertinent info!!!!

Mel

Excellent Mel, thanks for all the trouble you have gone to on this for us! :thumb:

I assume that if you simply use a new preloaded EE sim, then you will not need to unlock? Just to clarify for everyone, as the deals on these are good at the moment compared to 3.

:thumb::thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Mel, thank you so much for all the great info you have provided in this thread. I know very little about such things but had been frustrated for a while that my 3 dongle sometimes couldn't connect to the network when other people using WiFi/MiFi could. I managed to reserve the last one in Shrewsbury yesterday and collected it this morning. :thumb:

Currys staff were very helpful and checkout took only about 15 mins. I left it a couple of hours and then phoned EE using the 150 number on my Orange phone to cancel the contract. Had to endure being transferred to 4 different people but entire call lasted 18 mins so not too bad really. Unit is now up and running and noticeably faster than my old dongle. I will use the EE sim that came with it until the 30 days expires, then unlock it and switch to my usual 3GB for 3 months sims from 3 (I still have a small stash of them from when they were £11).

So again, many thanks for all the detailed info you have provided. I couldn't have done it without you. :thumb:

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
just bought the last one at Colchester on Saturday, set it up on my mates Iphone sunday wow superfast in West Bergholt on 4g with no arial. Keepin the EE as is v good in my area and got a reasonable and expanding coverage. just go to get arial for use with van in bad places the do a 28 db one for about 30 quid on fleabay I think.

with all these members buyin them they should be re-named after the club:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Excellent Mel, thanks for all the trouble you have gone to on this for us! :thumb:

I assume that if you simply use a new preloaded EE sim, then you will not need to unlock? Just to clarify for everyone, as the deals on these are good at the moment compared to 3.

:thumb::thumb:

If you are using an EE sim in place of the original one that came with the MIFI, then you shouldn't need to unlock it at all but as it only costs 99p to get the code it might be something to consider doing anyway as you can still use the original EE sim in it but then if a better deal comes along you can change to another provider's sim instead. If you already have sims with allowances on from different providers, ie the original one with 3gb on and your own. In our case as we have a contract with the '3' network, we can use both the EE and '3' sims this month to gobble up the month's allowances ... no point in wasting them!:Eeek:

Also, another benefit of unlocking is that if you go abroad you can purchase a sim for the country you are in and put that in the MIFI so won't have to miss out on the forum whilst sunning yourselves on the beach!!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
For those who are thinking of buying an aerial/antenna I would suggest waiting and seeing how it goes when you are out 'in the field' as it where, as you might find you don't need one as the MIFI has 2 built in ones already. At least with this unit you CAN attach one if you want which is great.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Long post, get yourself a cuppa………

Well, i went to get mine today after reserving one.
Not a happy experience!
First up, young "assistant" shows me three different units before he comes out with the right one.
Next, he has no idea which sim to give me and tries two before he gets the right one. "its the EE data sim with the one month rolling contract for £15.99" I keep saying, but I might as well have not been there…
Then, he takes down all my details for the sim, then turns the screen towards me saying I get free bolt ons and which one do I want. "Apart from the Free London Underground wifi bolt on, what do the others mean?" ( I don't live in London and I can do without internet surfing on my new smartphone in a crowded underground train!)
Hmm, he doesn't know, nor does his Manager, so he tells me that as I am going to cancel the contract soon, theres no point getting one. Then just as he turns the screen back I notice he is looking at a £15.99 18 month contract sim, which, I politely point out, is not the one I want.
Time passes, 30 minutes of it..
So, cancel all that, get a new sim, take all my details again, then a single "Oh" is uttered.
Manager comes over, looks at the screen another "oh" and they say my application for the sim has been declined and show me the screen. No reason given, but to contact Equifax and pay them £2 to find out.

The "assistant" is going to "park" the unit for me till I sort it out.

So, onto Equifax website to find why my credit score is so bad I cannot get £16 credit!
To cut an even longer story short in which I pay £2, and don't get the info I need, twice, I rang them and was given free access to my proper credit report and score, which comes back as Excellent ( as I knew it would)

I can only think, young "assistant" entered the wrong details somewhere.
So, back tomorrow and try again….Hopefully, they will reimburse my car park charges, phone charges and fuel costs ( 24 miles), I may even get it for free……..:ROFLMAO:

Allan

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Allan, the monthly charge comes from your bank/building society account by direct debit, so I don't know why that would give you a 'refusal' on the credit check. The unit itself is paid for by your credit/debit card NOT the sim!

I think the 'assistant' has, as you say, done it wrong somehow, a mistyping of your details would be my first guess ... maybe you should get another assistant to do it for you instead as they get a £5 cash bonus for each one they do plus a 'points' bonus too ... if he isn't 'competent' to do it properly let someone who is benefit! :thumb:

I would also be extremely annoyed if I had to go back as you have and the error is definitely their fault.

However, as for the free bolt on - go for the "1 month's free line rental" as you can then try to argue that this should mean you don't have to pay a monthly charge at all if you give the 30 day cancellation the same day ... worth a try!:RollEyes:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Ohhh, Allanm, and here's me thinking I had a right time of it with PC World locally yesterday! The mifi is worth the aggravation though, as its really such an amazing little gadget.

My experience was very similar to several others - massive incompetence and a dollop of indifference thrown in as well by PC World staff. :Sad:

The prime incompetence though, was when one of them phoned me after I had already left the store with mifi in hand and they told me they were calling to tell me it wasn't in stock :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: some little oik at PC World probably had their eye on it for a friend / family member as they really tried a few disingenuous tricks to make sure I didn't get it!!!

Really hope you get it, its worth it, honest :thumb:

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
I took the first free month as my bolt on option. I was only charged £29.99 for the mifi at PC World. When I rang to cancel my contract I was told it would be cancelled on the 27th November and there would be nothing else to pay.

You could say that deal was a real bargain. Bet that ones not repeated on a one month contract again soon.

By the way I pay £14.99 on the 3 network ofor a sim only 10 meg of data a month. Again on a one month rolling contract.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Mel
I wish I had read this before I tried to unlock mine.
What a nightmare, everything has gone belly up.
A question, what do you mean in your instructions in the link when you state APN for your existing network provider. Network provider for what! My broadband provider I.E. Virgin media or something else!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I wish I had read this before I tried to unlock mine.
What a nightmare, everything has gone belly up.
A question, what do you mean in your instructions in the link when you state APN for your existing network provider. Network provider for what! My broadband provider I.E. Virgin media or something else!

If you currently have your mobile broadband via Virgin then yes, that's who's APN you need - I've just had a quick shuftie on the web and came up with this site which may help:

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back