Chausson Welcome 76 Tall Garage Hinges Problem (1 Viewer)

Jerry TLD North Yorks

Free Member
Apr 13, 2016
Thornton Le Dale
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 76
Exp
since 2002
Wondered if any of you have come across tall garage door hinges problem
on Chausson Welcome 76? Ours have gone solid after a valeting and now difficult to open door, difficult to spray in WD40, tried to remove hinges from frame find they are bonded!! Chausson want £320 plus vat and carriage to send new door frame with hinges, EXTORTIONATE!!! Any Ides?
Jerry

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have just re-read a post on the Autotrail facebook group.. Almost similar problem to what you are having,.
Unfortunately no real answer except.. DONT USE OIL as it makes it worse.
An "Autotrail trained" person has stated about taking them apart and re-drilling !!
" We separate the hinges and drill out the hole . Usually a 5.5 MM drill bit is perfect"..

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Are they "standard" external hinges with a vertical pin? If so there is a small plastic cap covering the top and bottom of the hinge where pivot pin is. These caps can be prized off with a knife or screwdriver and oil fed in, easier on the top as gravity assists. On a door hinge I once found alloy hinge had corroded onto the steel pin, only way I could free it was to apply heat using a gas blow torch, this is likely to lead to some discolouring.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I had the same issue with my last van, I took the doors off and stuck a drill in the hinges to clean it out worked a treat.

OP
OP
J

Jerry TLD North Yorks

Free Member
Apr 13, 2016
Thornton Le Dale
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 76
Exp
since 2002
Wondered if any of you have come across tall garage door hinges problem
on Chausson Welcome 76? Ours have gone solid after a valeting and now difficult to open door, difficult to spray in WD40, tried to remove hinges from frame find they are bonded!! Chausson want £320 plus vat and carriage to send new door frame with hinges, EXTORTIONATE!!! Any Ides?
Jerry
NOTE The hinges are BONDED to the door frame so cannot take the hinges off.. Will try taking the top cap off and use paraffin to penetrate and free the pin.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back