Chausson Welcome 76 Tall Garage Hinges Problem

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by Jerry TLD North Yorks, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Jerry TLD North Yorks

Jerry TLD North Yorks Read Only Funster

Wondered if any of you have come across tall garage door hinges problem
    on Chausson Welcome 76? Ours have gone solid after a valeting and now difficult to open door, difficult to spray in WD40, tried to remove hinges from frame find they are bonded!! Chausson want £320 plus vat and carriage to send new door frame with hinges, EXTORTIONATE!!! Any Ides?
    Jerry

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I have just re-read a post on the Autotrail facebook group.. Almost similar problem to what you are having,.
    Unfortunately no real answer except.. DONT USE OIL as it makes it worse.
    An "Autotrail trained" person has stated about taking them apart and re-drilling !!
    " We separate the hinges and drill out the hole . Usually a 5.5 MM drill bit is perfect"..

3. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Are they "standard" external hinges with a vertical pin? If so there is a small plastic cap covering the top and bottom of the hinge where pivot pin is. These caps can be prized off with a knife or screwdriver and oil fed in, easier on the top as gravity assists. On a door hinge I once found alloy hinge had corroded onto the steel pin, only way I could free it was to apply heat using a gas blow torch, this is likely to lead to some discolouring.

4. lorger

lorger Funster

I had the same issue with my last van, I took the doors off and stuck a drill in the hinges to clean it out worked a treat.

5. Jerry TLD North Yorks

Jerry TLD North Yorks Read Only Funster

NOTE The hinges are BONDED to the door frame so cannot take the hinges off.. Will try taking the top cap off and use paraffin to penetrate and free the pin.