Chausson/Ford Transit

Discussion in 'Chausson' started by ronboyracer, Nov 18, 2011.

1. ronboyracer

ronboyracer Read Only Funster

Could anybody tell me of there experiences of the Chausson brand, on the Ford Transit engine/chassis, especially engine performance compared to the Fiat cab also the chausson brand seems to come with the eberspaucer diesel heating as anybody had experience of this system. Thank you Ronboyracer. :Rofl1:

2. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

I can only comment on my findings, but as a newbie I'm sure there'll be more comming along.

Firstly, the Transit Base is awsome, we bought ours after many people telling us that "It's the right one to go for". The 140bhp version is incredible to drive. The gearbox doesn't suffer the reverse syndrome that others can suffer from. The inside is more like a Mondeo, you'll have Cruise Control and A/C as standard. Ford parts are cheap too!

Diesel heaters are coming popular, they don't use your precious gas and are so economical, you don't notice any fuel loss on the gauge. The big bonus is you can run the heating whilst driving too.

Don't forget too, that the Chausson Flash 03 won awards in 2010 too! For me, Chausson on Transit base is a winner! That's what we where told by loads of people, that's what we went for and so far, happy! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  3. M1TCH

M1TCH Read Only Funster

We have had two now the one we have at present is four and a half years old and im still happy with it ours is a welcome 28 GA and has gas heating on a 2007 plate the year after it had gas and electric fitted, the other benifit its great on muddy fields and will pull two tonnes Gray.

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have a Chausson Flash 04, bought in April 2011, it's on the FWD Mk 7 Transit (2.2, 140bhp).

Having not driven the new X250 Fiat I can only go by the 'looks' as a comparison, but I certainly prefer the cab of our Ford to the Fiat. It has lots of cubby holes and comes with air con and cruise control as standard. We've also got steering wheel radio controls too.

It drives very well and goes like sh*t off a shovel. :BigGrin: The only downside is that the steering is heavier than our previous van, which was a Rimor Sailer 645TC on a RWD Mk 6 Transit which, of course, didn't have the extra weight etc of the drive on the front wheels, but it isn't a problem and I doubt if the FWD Transit it is any different to a Fiat in this regard.

The turning circle on our particular van is brilliant, we can get round very, very tight corners that even our previous car would have trouble with.

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

If any one wants a new Chausson, try ringing Paul at Wokingham motorhomes,
    he has three he wants to see the back off at good prices I might add 01189-791023.

Tell him I sent you and you will be looked after:thumb:

Peter

6. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Not ALL Ford parts are cheap........................................:cry:

2 small cables to fit to the seat tilt mechanism - total with VAT = £75.00.....:Eeek:

7. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Cannot speak for the Transit base vehicle but the Eberspacher heater is very efficient. I had concerns about the fuel consumption (after all you are paying duty on the diesel) but the consumption is really quite small.

You still need the gas for water heating, though, our Eberspacher (and perhaps all?) does not heat the water.

Steve

8. GeraldandAnnie

GeraldandAnnie Read Only Funster

There seems to be a bit of mix and match going on at Chausson. Our 2010 Welcome 76 has the Truma gas (and electric) heater fitted.

Can't help on the Transit front either, I'm afraid. I do love my Fiat, though. Just back from 2900 miles around France. Smooth, powerful, no problems in reverse, even up some steep bits. It's got cruise and air con, as I think most X2/50 Fiat motorhomes have.

Gerald

• Like Like x 2
  9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Ford Chassis is no-nonsense and just works! No recalls on ours since new!
    Some Mk7 models could to be easy to stall, but this is cured with an ECU update under warranty if you complain enough!
    Standard fit in ours is ABS, ESP, cruise control, aircon, leccy mirrors, leccy windows and a CD/radio which stays on for a whole hour before switching off (Fiat switches off in 20 mins!)!

Chausson is the best seller in France. After owning our Welcome 35 for nearly 2 years we have not had an issue with the quality or the function of the conversion.

I would say that for their specification, Chausson are the best value brand on the market today. Yes, you can have nicer joinery on an Autosleeper (although I doubt it is hand-carved like in the ads!!!), but you don't have to live with an olde worlde Truma gas fire!

Our Welcome has Webasto diesel heating which does both heating and hot water. Its a fantastic system, but requires good quality diesel and an occasional descaling to avoid problems.

The water tanks are HUGE, the insulation is good, the beds are HUGE, the roof lights aren't draughty, the gas drop vents aren't OTT (causing draughts), the fridge is HUGE, warm air distribution is very even and with the RWD chassis, we have never been stuck!

All in all, I would recommend the Chausson/Ford combo to anyone!:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

And it's got hill launch assist!:Smile:

11. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I agree, and these transits now have wheel bearings costing £260!!!! Whatever happened to the good old days, when they were £9????

Axles are known to go, they only copst 3K.....but all in, seems to be their only fault! Turbo far more spritely than the non-turbo, but not as reliable, try to go for a 2.5 rather than the mondeo engined 2.0.....they seem to do the mileage, but are thirsty being a car engine! The van (which is only a swb commercial - does 23mpg - non turbo)

Benefits of course, are rear wheel drive!

• Like Like x 1
  12. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We might have to ask Ron which year of Transit base he has in mind.

Since 2006, they've all been either a 2.2 or 2.4, all with a chain driven cam and certainly a different animal to the previous versions.
    They have all been turbo'ed since 2000, to the best of my knowledge.
    I had a 2001 panel van for work. 2 litre duratorq, FWD, definitely had a turbo......... It did 35mpg average. No major components during my 60K (it was a hand-me-down!).

My current work van, a SWB FWD 85 PS 2.2 does around 35 MPG average. 110K covered so far, only major components, a steering rack, rear leaf springs.

Only other items fitted to both work vans- tyres, brakes and a few shocks.

Our 2.4 140 PS RWD Chausson does 25 MPG average.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Fermenter

Fermenter Read Only Funster

Hi Gerald I have just bought a 76 and wondered if I have to do anything with the Truma cowl on the outside before I use the heater? I presume it is the one on the side if the van and not on the roof? Any tips gratefully received. Reg

14. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

You need to remove it before running the heater on gas!

15. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Chausson Flash 14

Thinking of purchasing a 10 plate . Does anyone have one? If so would you recommend it and how many mpg please.

16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Ours is a 10 plate.

Is it Fwd or Rwd?

17. Stacetop

Stacetop Funster

We have a ford transit RWD mk7 and it drives lovely almost like a car. I don't think the air con and electric pack are standard on all motorhomes so thats worth checking.
    We do have air con etc and the cubby holes and drink pockets are fab, the only downside is fuel economy around 24mpg for us.

18. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

We have a RWD mk7 tranny. As others have said,it's fine,drives like a car all the whistles AC,cruise,quality sound system, great turning circle,good payload,chain cam easy to drive. Goes well cruises at 70mph easy but at that speed fuel goes just as fast, 20mpg. I need to slow down a bit to solve that. We have a large over cab Luton so aerodynamics not the best. But would recommend the Transit as a good MH chassis..

19. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Read Only Funster

I have a mk7 transit 2.2 tdci for work, I have had it remapped, done 143000 miles returns about 41 mpg. egr valves are a problem on them and crankshaft pulleys tend to fall to bits about 100000 miles, other than that no problems

20. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

We have a mrk7 2.4 tranny, the only problem i have had is the engine managment light coming on. When the code is looked up it says its a faulty valve in the exhaust emmision thigy:Doh: The problem is its not faulty, Ford say it is a software problem which they are looking into and have told me not to crank engine over tilll the plug heater lights go out. Hasnt come on since touch wood. :Smile: