Chausson flash 03 battery charger (1 Viewer)

evertonian

Free Member
Oct 29, 2011
liverpool
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all, just bought a chausson flash 03 van (my first van) very pleased with it however the user manual doesnt fully explain everything, My main problem is the vans battery charger model CB 516, my questions are does this device continually charge the battery even when the vans not in use ? Also there is a button on the front of the device which says 230v on/off what would this be used for ? And finally when on electric hookup are the lights etc still powered by battery ? Many thanks Col

campingcariste

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2000
I have just been looking at the info for my new purchase, Chausson Flash 02 after wiring a link to trickle charge the 'car' battery from the Solar Panel in addition to the leisure battery when I want to, an essential mod I think, which I also did on my Hymer.

I was surprised to read in the control box information sheet that when the mains is connected the 12Volt supply is not linked to the leisure battery, so no charging it seems.

I have locked up and finished for today, don't know my charger model off hand. Tomorrow I will try the mains hook up and check it out. We spent one night on hook up at the dealers but I have not connected mains since.

I think you will find the 230V on/off is an indicator not a button. When on hook up the lights etc. will be powered from the 'charger' which it seems is not a charger at all but a 12Volt power unit.
Other 'vans I have known have also charged the battery when on hook up, not always the best thing if you want to leave a small heater on in winter when the van is not in use. Hence I added a switch to turn off the mains for the charger on my Hymer, the Solar Panel takes care of the charging in the winter, except for the darkest dullest periods.

BTW the Chausson is quality construction.

Regards Ed

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK here is the definitive answer............

Your charger is switched on or off by the red button/light on the front.

Leave it switched on at all times!

The CBE charger is a four-stage unit , powered by the 240v electric hook-up which will maintain your lesuire battery. When your battery is fully charged, it will revert to a maintenence charge to keep your battery topped up.

Hope this helps!::bigsmile:

When on hook-up, all your light are still powered by the leisure battery. The charger just keeps the leisure battery topped up!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
OK here is the definitive answer............

Your charger is switched on or off by the red button/light on the front.

Leave it switched on at all times!

The CBE charger is a four-stage unit , powered by the 240v electric hook-up which will maintain your lesuire battery. When your battery is fully charged, it will revert to a maintenence charge to keep your battery topped up.

Hope this helps!::bigsmile:

When on hook-up, all your light are still powered by the leisure battery. The charger just keeps the leisure battery topped up!

Spot on:thumb:

Upvote 0

campingcariste

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2000
Looks as though we have some model / year differences here and errors in the manuals, maybe some translation errors too:Smile:
I have looked at my charger model it is NE143P and control panel NE216.

The user manual and the NE205 Shunt information sheet contradict each other. The user manual says "connected to the 230Volt supply the living compartment and carrier batteries are kept charged during periods when they are not being used"
If by carrier battery they mean the vehicle battery this is not so.

The NE205 sheet says "The B2 security box" (which connects the charger to the leisure battery) "is NOT activated if the battery voltage is less than 6Volt, also if there is 230Volt mains."

Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to see which is correct

If the NE216 control panel was "left switched on at all times" there is a 200mA constant current drain on the leisure battery, undesirable if your not connected to the mains.

Regarding the lights etc. being powered by the leisure battery if a charger is connected. Think about it, if the charger Voltage is high enough to charge the battery the current will be supplied by the charger not the battery:Smile:

Upvote 0

campingcariste

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2000
Note, this applies only to the Chausson Flash 02 etc. with NE216/NE215/NE143P/NE206 electrics.
OK, I connected the hook up lead and the Battery Charger does connect to the leisure battery and provides a rather alarming 14.5Volts to a fully charged battery. I don't known how intelligent the NE134P Charger is, it could be starting with a conditioning charge.
One thing I had forgotten is that the battery B2 voltage indicator shows the charging action by scrolling the LED's when mains is connected.

There is precious little information on the web about this set up and some confusion even from the dealers, according to posts elsewhere.
What is certain is that the vehicle battery is NOT charged when on mains hook up.
The on/off push button on the control panel actuates the B2 supply and Internal lights. The current drain is stated as 250mA so it is not wise to leave it switched on at all times unless on mains hook up. This gives rise to a need to grope in the dark when you return after a day out, for the blister push button before you can turn on the main light using the huge easily accessible
switch.:Smile:
Personally I would much prefer a basic system KISS approach rather than microprocessor controlled gizmos, but then that's progress.

Edit:- Found the Nordelettronica NE143P information and data sheet on the web, it is an intelligent charger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Chausson Flash 03 is Tranny based I believe.
The Transit Chassis has twin batteries under the driver's seat fitted by Ford.
One of these is isolated by a splitter relay in the battery box fuse board under the driver's seat when the ign is switched off. This is reserved for starting only.
The other serves as an auxiliary battery and provides power to the radio, lights etc. when the ign is switched off. This saves your starting battery! This auxiliary battery is connected in parallel to the leisure battery under the passenger seat.
Effectively, Ford is providing a built-in split charge system. Any other leisure battery onboard is extra!. Bear this in mind if you disconnect the leisure battery- sparks might result!

This is the layout used on our Chausson Welcome 35.

Upvote 0

campingcariste

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks jonandshell, a valid warning for those with the second battery option from Ford. Ours doesn't have it but it's a nice feature for starting.
Me thinks it wouldn't overcome the real flat battery1 problems some owners report. You can't beat keeping the battery topped up, by solar or whatever and a regular run in the winter months can you.

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Hello all to my first post and sorry if it's techy overload! :roflmto:

Interesting regarding the dual battery.

I have (recently picked up) a 2010 Flash 03. I haven't actually looked under the seat to see if there are 2 batteries in there, but I'll look when I get home later.

This raises some (probably silly) questions and thanks in advance to all who help! ::bigsmile:

1) Does the MH now effectivly have 2 Leisure batteries and one Cab battery, or does it have 1 Cab battery, 1 Leisure battery and 1 Starting battery?

2) When on EHU does the charger charge all 3?

3) When selecting the Cab battery on the control panel, does this just show the charge or actually move the power drain to the Cab battery, if so, which one?

This now leads me onto another query I have.

I'm installing a Silverline 2000w Inverter which has dual inputs, therefore was thinking about running a connection from each battery via a battery isolator switch to the inverter.

The reason for this would be so that when there are low consumption devices (camera battery charger, phone charger etc) it can be run from the Leisure battery, however, when the other half wants to fire up a hairdryer I would run it off the Cab battery whilst the engine is running. There is also the option to run the inverter from both batteries at the same time to provide more ah.

Now that there is the possibility (as I said still got to confirm that there are 2 under the driver's seat) that there are 3 batteries (in whatever configuration they are), which ones would I choose.

:Eeek:

Regards

Craig

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hello all to my first post and sorry if it's techy overload! :roflmto:

Interesting regarding the dual battery.

I have (recently picked up) a 2010 Flash 03. I haven't actually looked under the seat to see if there are 2 batteries in there, but I'll look when I get home later.

This raises some (probably silly) questions and thanks in advance to all who help! ::bigsmile:

1) Does the MH now effectivly have 2 Leisure batteries and one Cab battery, or does it have 1 Cab battery, 1 Leisure battery and 1 Starting battery?

2) When on EHU does the charger charge all 3?

3) When selecting the Cab battery on the control panel, does this just show the charge or actually move the power drain to the Cab battery, if so, which one?

This now leads me onto another query I have.

I'm installing a Silverline 2000w Inverter which has dual inputs, therefore was thinking about running a connection from each battery via a battery isolator switch to the inverter.

The reason for this would be so that when there are low consumption devices (camera battery charger, phone charger etc) it can be run from the Leisure battery, however, when the other half wants to fire up a hairdryer I would run it off the Cab battery whilst the engine is running. There is also the option to run the inverter from both batteries at the same time to provide more ah.

Now that there is the possibility (as I said still got to confirm that there are 2 under the driver's seat) that there are 3 batteries (in whatever configuration they are), which ones would I choose.

:Eeek:

Regards

Craig

1) One of the Ford Batteries becomes an additional leisure battery.

2) Yes, once the paralleled Ford aux and leisure battery are fully charged. The CBE panel/fuse box serves this function.

3) On the display, the 'cab battery' selector shows the starter battery voltage. (Upon investigation, you will note a fused cable connected to it to measure this)

The inverter question-

Whenever the engine is running, all the batteries are connected together anyway by the splitter relay under the driver's seat. In theory, it wouldn't matter where you connected your inverter. HOWEVER, the leisure battery is connected to the 'customer connection' terminals rear left of the driver's seat base. These are protected by 60A fuses. These will obviously blow given the current draw of a hair dryer connected to an inverter.
The inverter would be best connected directly to the Ford aux battery under the driver's seat via a correctly rated heavy duty fuse.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Brill! Thanks for your reply. So the handover was a incorrect then (thought so) as we where told that if you press the Cab battery button, it shows the charge of the cab battery and also switches the power to it.

So effectively, the Cab/Starter battery is out of the equation when the engine is off and the control panel just shows it's charge.

Thanks also for the Inverter connection, makes perfect sense. I'll just go with the one connection. To be honest, I'm not planning on running upto 2000W, it will be a power-save hairdryer, such as 800W, but went for the 2000W, which although has a startup of 4000W, for safeness.

All this to make sure the other half's hair is dry! :Doh: I'm sure this is a common theme!

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Craig

I have similar demands on myself! I have avoided having to fit an inverter so far, I tell her to lie down in front of a heating duct!!!!!!!!
The Transit dual battery system takes a bit of getting your head round. Once you realise that Ford have put the split charge system integral to the cab, it becomes easier!
You will note the caravan electrics will all work even when the leisure battery is disconnected because they are still connected to the Ford aux battery!
We have additional batteries on our Welcome located in the garage, maintained by a Sterling battery to battery charger. These are proper traction batteries and it is to these I will connect my inverter when Shell's moaning becomes too much for me!!
Once the Ford warranty is up, I will remove the connection to the Ford aux battery from the leisure batteries because the Ford battery is not a deep discharge type and will eventually fail as a result of the repeated discharging anyway.
Good luck with the Chausson, we find it hard to find fault with ours. For the money it's a fantastic product!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
To her credit, she has already mentioned that she'd be happy to lie in front of an air duct! ::bigsmile: That's the spirit!

Just one futher question (we didn't get a manual due to the dealer losing it, we are awaiting a replacement).

Does it matter if the control panel is powered up when driving or does it simply automatically power down when the engine is started?

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It doesn't matter at all.
It can be nice for a passenger to have a light on in the back for reading, etc anyway!
We have blue led ambient lighting on in the back of ours, it doesn't interfere with vision out of the cab at night and gives enough light to keep an eye on dogs and kids as well as making it easier for the front seat passenger to get to the fridge for refreshments when we are stopped in traffic!::bigsmile:

Make sure your awning light is off though!

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Ha ha, thanks.

We've not got an Awning Light fitted as yet so the button just clicks a relay but nothing else. I was led to believe that this is supposed to turn off automatically when the engine is started.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Some of the CBE control panel do have this function. I'm pretty sure ours doesn't, but our old Elddis with a CBE panel did! It had a 3a fuse that, once removed, allowed the caravan electrics to work with the engine running.
Ous is a CBE DS-300 unit. It does not have the above feature! I am pretty sure yours will be the same!
Just looked at pictures of yours and the user panel on the wall is the same as ours, so the distribution box should be the same also.

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks again for the great info.

Makes getting your head around everything easier! :)

As you say, I very much doubt Chausson would have many differing systems across their range from a cost perspective.

30mins before I leave for the day to go and ferret under the seats! :roflmto:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You'll get good at taking them out in due course!
You'll need a torx set!:Smile:

I just went out and checked our distribution box, it doesn't have the facility for the 3A fuse mentioned earlier!
Come think of it, our distribution box in the Elddis had an integral slit charge relay, so yours definitely won't be of that type!

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
:Doh: After all that, just checked and a big empty space under the passenger set and the single 80ah battery under the drivers seat.

DOH! Maybe it's just the twin rear axle models that have the dual batteries.

Raises more questions now..... Does the charger now also charge the Cab battery? Pretty much kiss goodbye to actually installing the 2000W inverter on that battery.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
LOL!

At least you have space to hide your valuables under the seats!!!!!!!::bigsmile:

Have you found your leisure battery yet????

I think I'm correct in saying the dual Ford batteries are standard on the RWD chassis and an option only on the FWD ones (according to the Ford website).
I wrongly assumed because its a motorhome chassis, they would have specced the dual batteries! D'oh!!

Remember, never assume, because you can make an ASS out of U and ME!

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Yes, the Leisure battery is in the Garage. It's only a 92ah which I expected something larger.

I'll just have to see how the inverter goes, hopefully with the engine running it won't be so bad as it'll have both batteries driving it.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Remember that if you connect that inverter to the leisure battery, and use that hairdryer, you'll have all that current rushing through the split charge relay and wiring through to the inverter as the alternator tries to keep the voltage up. I suspect you'll be popping fuses when the engine is running!
For hairdryer use, with the engine running, a connection to the cab battery would be best!

The only other option would be to use your inverter with the engine stopped and add more batteries to your garage!

An 800w energy saving hairdryer as you describe would draw around 80A at 12V.
I would imagine your split charge relay is fused at around 30A. Or 60A if they have tapped off the fused customer connections on the left rear of the driver's seat base.

This conversation could go on all night!!!!!!!!!! lol

-Or make the missus lie by that heating vent!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Yep, it goes on....

I was going to connect it to the Cab Battery not the Leisure Battery.

Of course, then run the risk of the alternator not keeping up and draining the battery.

As you say, 800W on 12V is around 80amp when you add the efficiency difference that's a lot to expect from an 85ah battery. Suspect there'll be some heat going on! :Eeek:

I can see it now.........on the coast in the Algarve, engine running, hair dryer on and me constantly pressing the Cab Gauge on the Control Panel to check the charge level.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Would she look good with a Sinead O'Connor-style crewcut?
That would solve your issues!!!!!!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I'll mention it to her............but only when I phone her from work.

Wouldn't dare try when I'm within arms reach! :roflmto:

I've done a few calcs and providing I don't start using the Inverter to it's capacity (2000W), I should be ok. From full to drain, it would last around 60 mins constant at 800W, give or take, so with the engine running and up to 10 mins of power, it should be fine.

Only some test runs on the drive will tell!........

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hope all goes well Craig!
As for that trip to the sun, you lucky sod!!!!!::bigsmile:

All the best mate!

Oh yes, nearly forgot!
Remember that only really good quality deep discharge batteries (traction-type) will give anything like the stated Ah rating.
Its best to base your calcs on your leisure battery having only half its stated rating.
A battery discharged at the rate you describe will also fall well short of it's stated capacity whatever the type.
Most batteries are rated at a 20hr discharge. ie, in your case, a constant discharge of 4 amps.
Don't be disappointed if you only get 15mins out of that hairdryer if the engine isn't running!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Well, the Silverline 2000W turned up today and I connected it up to test and it powered a 1200W dryer (although probably won't use that one) all ok.

2 things to note;

1) The inverter has 2 connections for possible connection to 2 batteries, the manual states that 1 can be used but cutoff might result at high draw when connected to 1. The cables that came with the inverter are 10mm2 and only have 100amp terminals on them. Therefore, I suspect it's only really good for 1000W when only one battery used

2) ....and this made me giggle. Bearing in mind that it has no external fuses, it came with a bag of 8 20amp fuses :ROFLMAO:

I tested it with the hairdryer for about 10 mins with the engine running (this is connectect to the Cab Battery) and to be honest whilst there was a small dip in engine power noticed, not a great deal. Next time I'm under the bonnet I'll check on the alternator size, however, I do remember reading that the 2010 Transit has a 150a one fitted.

Just awaiting a 300a isolator to arrive before I wire it all up permanently.

She will be happy when she comes back from her week away to find the MH hairdryer-fied.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Nifty little checking thingy.

The base is about 6 months prior, so must be lucky, it was built in Dec 2009.

Funny thing is, the options list shows more options removed than added! ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back