cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Has anyone had problems with the electrics in their Chausson? Ours is a flash s3 09 reg and we have had no end of problems with batteries and fuses blowing. The dealer realised that Chausson had put in a second car battery rather than leisure battery and hence it wasn't charging - now have a leisure battery fitted! Thought it was sorted and then turned up to find a flat car and leisure battery - AA man had to use his main and aux to jump start it was sooo flat! The dealer looked at it again this week and found 3 blown fuses so replaced them- they've been very helpful and tried to sort everything out. Obviously I'm worried that replacing blown fuses isn't necessary the answer (why did they blow??). Today we found the leisure battery has a fuse that was blown and we replaced that(don't know if it was one of the 3 that the dealer replaced two days ago). Now all batteries appear to be charging off mains and the engine so hopefully it all may be working.
We're new to motorhomes but did feel that getting a 6month old van with warranty would save us this kind of hassle - why is this all going wrong with a new van?!
Has anyone had similar problems and if so what was your resolution???
Thanks
Jane

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have a 3 nyear old Chausson Welcome. No electrical problems at all. The supplied battery is a bit naff, I have replaced mine with 2 X 110 a/h leisure batteries.

One of the things I have appreciated with my Chausson is the complete lack of problems with, not only the electrics, but all factory installed equipment.
I would suspect a previous owner has been fiddling.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cellojane

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks

Thanks for that Spacerunner - I'm very relieved for you! Just out of interest the previous owner was in fact the dealer!
jane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Your problem was buying a new van!!

Much better to buy a 1 or 2 year old model, let the original buyer take the big hit on depreciation and let them sort out the many problems you get with a new motorhome.

Stick with it, after a summer of use you should have them all ironed out with any luck :thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We had a 2006 flash 03 for 2 seasons and never had a single electrical fault, the 85ah battery was also good for TV etc for 3 nights.

Upvote 0

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Welcome 27 and did have a few problems at one stage with the leisure battery not charging while driving. A local caravan dealer took a look and couldn't come up with an answer - suggested that I would have to contact Chausson direct. Before doing this, I removed, cleaned and reconnected the main battery leads and we haven't had a problem since (that was at least three years ago):Smile:

Hope you manage to get yours fixed - just don't rule out the simplest solution.

Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
In short - you have a short! I would suspect a power lead has come loose or chaffed through on some metal work somewhere. Long tedious job tracing - suggest you do it yourself (only if you are competent and confident to do so!) , as if you pay someone to do it, it will cost. I have seen people spend huge amounts tracing wiring faults that have taken months to find....at £35 an hour!!

I would pop the control box off, make sure nothing is loose. Check the stereo - another popular tampering point, and if fitted tracker systems.

Check sockets and appliances and see if any are constant live drains.

Good luck whatever you decide! Start at the source of power and work back!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back