Chausson and Fiamma Awning Woes

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Philb, May 21, 2012.

1. Philb

Philb Read Only Funster

Hi all,

I have a Chausson Allegro 94 low profile and a Fiamma Zip awning fitted.

Due to the low profile and shape of the roof the awning is fitted more or less level with the top of the hab door. This means that the awning has to be horizontal when sited to allow the door to open fully. I would prefer the awning to tilt down slightly and naturally in order that side panels etc could be fitted and also to stop the hab door continually hitting the awning arm due to insufficient clearance....

I really need to raise the awning fixings to give more clearance over the hab door.

I have tried John Cross but no official adaptor plates are available.

Has anyone got over this problem by fabricating a bracket that will raise the awning body higher?

2. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Something like this, might help.:Wink:

3. Philb

Philb Read Only Funster

Thanks but the hab door actually hits the awning arm, not the fabric, hence the need to raise the awning body somehow...

4. Phill D

Phill D

5. aba

aba

6. Philb

Philb Read Only Funster

Thanks i gave this some thought, but i need to move the awning body out and up to clear the roof fairing (bodywork) the existing bracket, the one you linked, has the bottom edge just above the hab door and the top edge just below the roof fairing....

7. Phill D

Phill D

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

there is a fitting kit for low roof vans that mounts the awning above roof height, however they mount on the side of the roof.

just off the top of my head, you could make up some alloy plates that use the current holes in the van wall, then fix the brackets to the top of the plates. spray them white and they would look like an original part:thumb: would need to use 9mm plate alloy to avoid bending under pressure as the awning flexes

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Before you start drilling holes in your van I would suggset you call Glen, my service manager and ask him, if he does not know, no-one will

01-580-881288 and ask for workshop.

Peter

11. Philb

Philb Read Only Funster

No worries, i,m not going to dril any new holes in the body, any more fabrication would have to utilise the existing holes....

12. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

without starting a RV v European war

Without setting out to fight another battle in the RV v Europeans.. It is interesting that RV's us the A & E or similar system that allows awnings to be set at different heights.. normal using the getter rails. Plus there is as shown in Super Mikes post roller wheels to make sure the tab door does not damage the fabric.

My own RV door has rounded corners and we can push the arms up higher and still have a slant on them to let rail run off and keep the doorway clear. The arms on the A & E are very strong and tend to be able to stay out with a strap tie down in most weather.. It is not often we have to take it in.

It would seem good if Fiamma thought about beefing up there equipment, they know they are used in the UK and the weather can be a bit fickle..

I would have thought making a few metal brackets to change the angle would not be that hard to be. Just a case of thinking outside the box.

Bob