Charlies guide to the Top kit and products we use (1 Viewer)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Do we need to wax twice ? No... The product is that good one application is enough. Plenty in fact. The only reason to wax twice is to make sure you have 100% coverage. So take your time and ensure its all covered and do it once.

OK, interesting to hear you say that as a pro. One thing that my pals did say was get 2 coats on as the layering effect will keep the protection going for longer, although what you say makes sense (especially seeing the results on your van).

Getting really anal now but when I'm waxing an ultra expensive vehicle I apply wax by hand. By that I mean the palms of my hands. I get a tiny pellet of wax and rub it into my palms. The enzymes in the wax melt and I gently apply the wax using the palms and fingers. This ensures 100% coverage every time. It does however waste a wee bit of product but I can cover ground so much faster and like I say its 100% covered every time.. (y)(y)

You should see my mate do the same. Seriously, it's like watching a grown man make love to a car. :ROFLMAO:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Back on topic :) The one product that always gets a wow from my customers is bumper and mirror treatment. It lasts well too
View media item 17531I would love to tell you all what the product is but it would reduce the wow as everyone would have nice shiny black bumpers :):)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Back on topic :) The one product that always gets a wow from my customers is bumper and mirror treatment. It lasts well too
View media item 17531I would love to tell you all what the product is but it would reduce the wow as everyone would have nice shiny black bumpers :):)
I wanna know, please tell. I've tried loads of things but they don't last long.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
My new van has stained alloys is the a polish or cleaner that will restore them please

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My new van has stained alloys is the a polish or cleaner that will restore them please

There are so many finishes on alloy wheels. If you could post up some pictures we can advise you the best remedy if there is one.
Your staining can be down to many things usually brake dust which has bonded on and can nearly always be removed.

There are many wheel cleaners ranging from mild and easy to use to ferocious and very tricky. Again let us see what you have ?

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Mmmm that looks to me like damage from using wheel cleaner... Even so called non acidic wheel cleaners have aggressive ingredients which are capable of doing damage to wheels. Your ones look to be painted and damaged by wheel cleaner.

Wheel cleaners are fine but the solution must be thoroughly washed off with lots of water and never allowed to dry.

Sorry it looks like a wheel re furb is in order.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
My go to items :

Wookies Fist sheepskin wash mitt.
Woolly mammoth or similar drying towel.
Various brushes.

Shampoo - Car chem 1900:1 - im tight dilution rate in the title :)
APC - Autosmart G101 all purpose cleaner use it for nearly everything at 1:30 dilution, might mix some up at 1:50 for seats of MH
Interior dressing - Currently use AG Vinyl and rubber or Juicy details dressing.
Exterior trim dressing - CarPro DLUX - bloody amazing stuff - put on my car grille 18 months ago still going strong also Carpro PEARL for some areas where DLUX is not suitable.
Polish / compound - Various picked up cheap of bargin shelves but use Farecla profile for GRP sections on motorhome
Quick detailer - Sonax BSD - often on offer at eurocar parts - bloody love it
Tyre dressing - Liquid elements tyresol
Wax / sealant - Really struggle with sealants / waxes on our Hymer they seem to bond / grab the paint and tricky to remove currently trying Bilt Hamber Finis wax, Finish Kare 1000P pastes and also Bullet polish which is a Wax I think rather than polish? and some Zaino liquid Carnuba sufff i think from a bargain bucket somewhere.

I did buy some of Carpro Hydro2 for MH when we got the Hymer but its silica based and I believe silicone (assuming silica is same as silicone) and gelcoat do not go together? Its great fun to use and use it on wife car be keen to hear from anyone re compatibility of silica / silicone based products (are they the same) and GRP. @Charlie / @FJmike appreciate your comments re use of this on MH gelcoat areas please?

Current wash method is foam through Autosmart lance, then with foam still on MH use mitt / brush (depending upon surface) with shampoo rinse and dry with MF towel.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A question if I may Charlie....
The windscreen on my car looks like it got the aftermath of a Sahara sand storm.
It feels smooth but get a low sun on it and it's very difficult seeing through.
What look like microscopic chips.
I've been tempted to 'accidently' crack it and pay the ÂŁ100 insurance excess unless you know of a 'not to exhausting' product.
Cheers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you.

Just googled how to use and tools required and got to watch a video of someone removing a 24" wiper blade scratch.
Looks easy enough but very time consuming.
Considering this was a scratch and mines full screen sand blasted it could take many hours.
I think the 'accidental' crack method is the way forward.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
I left a crack in our previous Hymer hoping for the worst....machine polisher, raylon pads + polish will come to very close to your xs. with no guarantee you will make any improvement.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Sorry stonechip rather than crack

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Polishing glass is not so bad. It's down to the right pad using Cerium oxide . I would polish before spending the excess every time
But then it is the whole screen Charlie, not just a small section.
God knows what it is or how it happened as it was like it when I bought the car but didn't notice until driving into low sun.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Anyone any tips on cleaning heavy duty canvas curtains saturated with nicotine. Moved into new place all the curtains ruined and hate dumping such expensive items. Didn't realise when we viewed that there was so much cleaning needed. :(

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
But then it is the whole screen Charlie, not just a small section.
God knows what it is or how it happened as it was like it when I bought the car but didn't notice until driving into low sun.

It would take me around two hours to fully polish the screen on our van which is a Peugeot Boxer. My acess is 100 notes so 50 quid an hour if looked at that way . Don't want to sound like the vicars son here but I wouldn't claim on the insurance unless the screen gets broken.

A well polished screen is better than new !

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My go to items :

Wookies Fist sheepskin wash mitt.
Woolly mammoth or similar drying towel.
Various brushes.

Shampoo - Car chem 1900:1 - im tight dilution rate in the title :)
APC - Autosmart G101 all purpose cleaner use it for nearly everything at 1:30 dilution, might mix some up at 1:50 for seats of MH
Interior dressing - Currently use AG Vinyl and rubber or Juicy details dressing.
Exterior trim dressing - CarPro DLUX - bloody amazing stuff - put on my car grille 18 months ago still going strong also Carpro PEARL for some areas where DLUX is not suitable.
Polish / compound - Various picked up cheap of bargin shelves but use Farecla profile for GRP sections on motorhome
Quick detailer - Sonax BSD - often on offer at eurocar parts - bloody love it
Tyre dressing - Liquid elements tyresol
Wax / sealant - Really struggle with sealants / waxes on our Hymer they seem to bond / grab the paint and tricky to remove currently trying Bilt Hamber Finis wax, Finish Kare 1000P pastes and also Bullet polish which is a Wax I think rather than polish? and some Zaino liquid Carnuba sufff i think from a bargain bucket somewhere.

I did buy some of Carpro Hydro2 for MH when we got the Hymer but its silica based and I believe silicone (assuming silica is same as silicone) and gelcoat do not go together? Its great fun to use and use it on wife car be keen to hear from anyone re compatibility of silica / silicone based products (are they the same) and GRP. @Charlie / @FJmike appreciate your comments re use of this on MH gelcoat areas please?

Current wash method is foam through Autosmart lance, then with foam still on MH use mitt / brush (depending upon surface) with shampoo rinse and dry with MF towel.

Some nice products there ! I try to recommend the affordable stuff wherever possible..
when washing with snow foam on the vehicle you should foam twice.
First time foam allow to dwell the power wash off . Then foam again and then wash with a mitt or sponge.
Foam has two main purposes or uses . 1 is a pre wash and 2 is a touchless wash which is what I do through winter months. I never touch the paint or surfaces in winter just foam and PW off.

If you foam and get stuck in with a mitt and miss out the pre wash foam you are rubbing in all the grime ....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back