Charlies guide to MH & Vehicle washing. The correct way (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Hi, I like this discussion and having 3 vehicles (small car; big pick-up; & the Burster 660) I think it would be labour saving and quite safe (if used with some caution on the MH)
I have a Nilfisk C120-6 and this is a pic of the connector which is on the lower end of the lance that connects into the trigger gun (the top half of the lance). I cannot match it with any of the other connectors ? Advice welcomed please ?

FullSizeRender-6.jpg

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Charlie do you use a powered buffer to put the wax on ?

No I either use a foam applicator or the palms of my hands.

The thing with wax is there is no polishing capabilities whatsoever we are applying the wax to give a depth of shine and to protect the paint.

Applying with a buffer would use far to much wax and to be honest just make a mess..

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
No I either use a foam applicator or the palms of my hands.

The thing with wax is there is no polishing capabilities whatsoever we are applying the wax to give a depth of shine and to protect the paint.

Applying with a buffer would use far to much wax and to be honest just make a mess..
Thank you for the reply

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
May I ask a question please @Charlie ?
How do you get rid of bugs from the bodywork and windscreen?
I tried some Autoglym bug remover spray and it was rubbish, most bugs remained after two applications.
Also, I spoke to my local car valet who suggested applying Caravanbrite (by Diamonbrite) to my new MH - costs £250 and he said it would last a lifetime.
Thanks in advance!
Robert
Try using wd40 it works on tar spots and minor scratches too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
WD certainly won't do any harm... It will sort of hide scratches a bit like...... Well spit... But it will short lived. But don't bother waxing .............................

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
@Charlie I have just re-read your thread now I was am able to give it my full attention and go through it at leisure. When I first flicked through it I thought it looked interesting, but having gone through it completely I have to say I found it to be one of the, most useful threads I have come across. Your knowledge about a subject which is of interest to all of us superb. I have sent for the lance and foam and look forward to them arriving (am I actually 'looking forward' to cleaning the vehicles? )

Thanks for such a helpful post

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Charlie, you could of warned me!!
Need to clean van. got an idea, I'll go on MHF and see if anybody has left a thread.
Oh look, some kind soul has left detailed instructions on how to do it.
So, I've got the pressure washer, that's one box ticked. Now I need a bubble making machine. Ordered. Received. Another box ticked.
Next I need some bubbles for the bubble making machine, (not much good without I guess!) Ordered. Received. That's three boxes done. This is going to be so easy.
Mr postman arrived this morning with the missing items, the two drying towels. Check me out.
Check the thread to make sure I got it correct. Now check again 'cause I forgot already, its an age thing!!
Splash bubbles all the place, even some on the van, wait and wash off with the pressure washer. Lots of rub a dub dub with the towels (thanks Mr P.)
Stand back and........... Charlie you could of warned me... that I needed sunglasses!!

Good job done, and a whole lot easier, so Thank you Charlie.
Geoff

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Be careful if you have the same vent over your loo compartment as we have. It is sort of double glazed, in the sense it has two layers but the outer edges are not sealed so if you blast foam at them the bubbles fly up between the two layers - and sit there. Its not a big problem, but if like me you had previously stripped it all down to clean everything it was annoying to have marks appear again which can't be removed without taking it all apart again. :)

Happy foaming!

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Well done Charlie,i have just cleaned 2 cars and the campervan,following your method,and they are all shining brightly.

(y)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello @Charlie. I wonder if you could offer any advice. I bought the snow lance you described along with the cherry snow foam etc. On first usage about a month ago I set to work on mine and my wife's cars and was impressed by how much quicker and easier it was. I came to use it again today only to find that there appeared to be no foam coming from the bottle, simply water. I checked all the connections and several times removed the device from my Karcher to try to find the source of the problem. I have seen tales of the wire mesh pellet becoming clogged but this was not the case. I tried all variations of settings without success. Thoroughly rinsed the mechanism, no joy. I was able to see no change in the level of diluted solution no matter how long I kept the trigger pressed and am at a complete loss as to what to try next. All that comes out is water. I keep thinking I've missed some silly detail but cannot see what.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wyn

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hello @Charlie. I wonder if you could offer any advice. I bought the snow lance you described along with the cherry snow foam etc. On first usage about a month ago I set to work on mine and my wife's cars and was impressed by how much quicker and easier it was. I came to use it again today only to find that there appeared to be no foam coming from the bottle, simply water. I checked all the connections and several times removed the device from my Karcher to try to find the source of the problem. I have seen tales of the wire mesh pellet becoming clogged but this was not the case. I tried all variations of settings without success. Thoroughly rinsed the mechanism, no joy. I was able to see no change in the level of diluted solution no matter how long I kept the trigger pressed and am at a complete loss as to what to try next. All that comes out is water. I keep thinking I've missed some silly detail but cannot see what.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wyn

Occasionally a bit of debris gets into the jets in the lance body. This can prevent the mixture of foam and water getting drawn up into the main block of the lance where it is then forced through the stainless steel gauze which turns it into foam.

If you can bear with me I will put up a detailed drawing of the lance tomorrow when I can get to my desk top PC and will explain fully what is required to get it working bang on again.

Don't worry it really is an easy fix !!!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you for your reply. There is an exploded diagram of the unit towards the start of this thread if it makes things easier.

Wyn

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've had problems with mine. It's only been used three times since I bought it and twice I've had to dismantle it and with hot water and a pin clean out the jet before I could get it to work.

My best guess was wax was blocking the jet and after the last time I used it I thoroughly rinsed it out and when I try again next week after the current trip we shall see if this has worked.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It's nearly always debris from production. There is a wee flow area that gets often blocked with tiny bits of plastic that are a residue from the plastic lance bottle. It's just one of those things.
These lances like any piece of equipment that works in the way it does needs a periodical clean. In this case it will be to clear muck left in from production.
I will write something up later with a diagram and explain how to do it.
I need to get on the desk top and can't do that just now.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thank you for your reply. There is an exploded diagram of the unit towards the start of this thread if it makes things easier.

Wyn
So there is .... It's part number 22 you need to remove. Be careful it's brass so tighten gently or it will strip the threads or snap off.
Remove the pick up pipe then the restrictor jet which is part 22. Make sure it's clear but also make sure the hole in the main body block is also clear. This part will have drawn a shard of plastic from the lance bottle which is restricting or stopping the foam mixture from being drawn up hence only water exiting the lance.
Clear that and give the lance bottle a really good clean looking out for bits of plastic left over from production.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Wyn
So there is .... It's part number 22 you need to remove. Be careful it's brass so tighten gently or it will strip the threads or snap off.
Remove the pick up pipe then the restrictor jet which is part 22. Make sure it's clear but also make sure the hole in the main body block is also clear. This part will have drawn a shard of plastic from the lance bottle which is restricting or stopping the foam mixture from being drawn up hence only water exiting the lance.
Clear that and give the lance bottle a really good clean looking out for bits of plastic left over from production.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
All that I noticed is that the Blue Skoda at the start of the post looked as clean before and after video. BeforeI part with my money I would like someone to give me a demi after my MH as just done 250 miles on motorways in the lastest storms

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Charlie you are amazing. You hit the nail on the head. Wile I had been looking for blockages I was looking in the wrong place. It was exactly as explained. It didn't seem like plastic causing the problem - more like limescale or something. I couldn't get the plastic tubing off the ferrule but working from the other direction it was easy to insert a pin into the nozzle to clear it. I can see that this quick, simple solution will come in handy in future.

Best of all the quick response with SIMPLE, CLEAR instructions was excellent.

Thank you @Charlie once again.

Wyn

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Charlie you are amazing. You hit the nail on the head. Wile I had been looking for blockages I was looking in the wrong place. It was exactly as explained. It didn't seem like plastic causing the problem - more like limescale or something. I couldn't get the plastic tubing off the ferrule but working from the other direction it was easy to insert a pin into the nozzle to clear it. I can see that this quick, simple solution will come in handy in future.

Best of all the quick response with SIMPLE, CLEAR instructions was excellent.

Thank you @Charlie once again.

Wyn

You are of course more than welcome !

I will write up a wee guide explaining the occasional problems that come with these hard working tools. I will also explain the basic maintenance required to keep them performing tip top. I think it may be handy as a reference so if users have a problem they can sort it with ease.

These tools used to cost more than double what they do now and I think they rush them out of the door with less finesse than they used to.

It doesent matter where you buy these lances from they are All made in the same factory. You may buy one with a red fan adjuster. Perhaps a fetching blue one or a fancy lance bottle but that is clever packaging just to get purchasers to part with more coin. The lance assembly's are all exactly the same.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi Charlie I have all the correct kit now ,i m not sure how long do you leave the foam on before jet washing off !

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Just a wee thank you note @Charlie. Just did RH after a summer of UK touring and no time off to do a proper wash. I'd bought the kit, snow foam, lance, cloths earlier in the year and today was the day. Needless to say, RH is gleaming and although some work as RH isn't a wee panel van, it wasn't that hard. Was so inspired I went onto do Mrs McHood's Golf and she was so delighted, I'm flavour of the month right now..
Next break it will be the Collinite ready for winter. So once again @Charlie :bro:

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just a wee thank you note @Charlie. Just did RH after a summer of UK touring and no time off to do a proper wash. I'd bought the kit, snow foam, lance, cloths earlier in the year and today was the day. Needless to say, RH is gleaming and although some work as RH isn't a wee panel van, it wasn't that hard. Was so inspired I went onto do Mrs McHood's Golf and she was so delighted, I'm flavour of the month right now..
Next break it will be the Collinite ready for winter. So once again @Charlie :bro:

You are of course very welcome. I ask some completely irrelevant questions here on this forum all of which have recieved good answers... That's what a community of decent people do. Take care !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back