charging your leisure battery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by tattoobluedog12345, Nov 3, 2014.

1. tattoobluedog12345

tattoobluedog12345 Read Only Funster

hello this has probably been asked here before when I have my MH on 240v on my drive does this charge the leisure battery ???
    would I be better fitting a trickle charger straight to the leisure battery and if so where do I need to plug the charger in ie in my MH or is this defeating the object or from my house.

cheers

2. tinkering

tinkering Funster

First answer is Yes.. Second answer is Depends...

Both answers depend on what Amps the charger in your van produces and what amps your battery is rated at..
    Keepin things simple ..If your charger produces 10amps and you have a 100 amps leisure battery if your battery is half charged ie 50% it should after charging for five hours be fully charged ie 100%.

Leisure batteries however are not like car batteries.. If you constantly drain them below the 50% level (very easy to do) you will very quickly damage them.

I personally take the battery out of the van ..andcheck the battery charge level with a hydromiter .

3. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

If you have a tester then check the battery when not hooked up, then hook up and test again, it should be higher if charging.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

The built in charger will charge your habitation battery as long as its turned on.

5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I do not mean to offend in any way. By simply typing charging your leisure battery at the search button I found this:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...ng+your+leisure+battery&o=relevance&c[node]=5

Now I know thats a lot of reading, but many members have replied to the same question again and again. Enjoy the read.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tattoobluedog12345

tattoobluedog12345 Read Only Funster

7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

The answer depends upon the type and quality of charger you have in the motorhome. A cheap and nasty or old fashioned one is going to cause some problems. But a modern high quality one will not. My Schaudt Electrobloc varies the charge that goes into the batteries depending upon their condition. That applies whether the charge is coming form the mains, the solar panels or both.