Charging vehicle battery

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Geordies, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Geordies

Geordies Funster

I have a Chausson Best of 10 based on a Transit Mk7. Obviously I can charge the leisure battery by plugging in the 240v hook up. But doing that does not seem to give any charge to the vehicle battery.

In the engine bay there is a stud which is used to connect to if you want to jump start the vehicle as you can't get at the vehicle battery which is under one of the seats.

So, the question I have is;

Can I connect an ordinary car battery charger to this stud to charge the vehicle battery, with all electrics still connected, but nothing turned on ?

I remember being told years ago that you should disconnect the battery from the vehicle before charging it in case of damaging the electronic circuits, which is obviously impractical in this case.

Thanks for any help. Martin

2. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Fit a batterymaster or triklcharge -speak to Eddie van blitz!

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

To answer your question....yes, no problem.

The stud is connected directly to the battery or via the starter soleniods permanantly live contact so ignition is not required.

• Like Like x 2
  4. andy63

andy63 Funster

my set up may be slightly different as mine is a panel van conversion, and possibly like yours my vehicle start battery is isolated by a relay when the ignition is switched off... I just ran a separate line to the start battery from my inbuilt sterling battery charger which had 3 outputs.
    ta andy

• Like Like x 1
  5. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Are you sure the engine battery is not being charged? I thought most newer motorhomes use chargers that do both. Does your panel have the ability to able to check the voltage of the engine battery?

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Pappajohn has answered your question (y)
    You can take a look at your control panel etc, and learn a little more about your van later (y)
    terry

7. ukbill

ukbill Funster

how easy is it to fit the battery master my leisure ois in the rear and the engine in the front i also have a solar but not sure of the way to wire this device any help please ladies and gents

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Dead easy Bill. Three cables, one to each battery positive and the third to the common earth. It's just a matter of finding convenient places to tap into.