Charging vehicle battery from solar panel (1 Viewer)

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
I fitted a solar panel last September and it is working fine,as I went into the camper today and the leisure batteries where reading 13.8 volts (it has been parked since November without electric hook up. But my vehicle battery is dead flat, I haven't checked for a drain yet,I will do when I get some time. I know there is a simple bit of kit that you can connect to the leisure battery bank and the vehicle battery that charges the leisure batts first then dumps exces charge into the vehicle batts,but I haven't got a clue what it's called or where to get one from or how much I should expect to pay for such an item ,I would be gratefull if someone out there would let me know,as I want it fully working for the end of march.thanks in anticipation. Steve.:thumb:

OP
OP
buyer

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
Thanks for the link, that looks like it will do exactly what I want :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I have a VanBitz Battery Master and it works.............perfectly.

Recommended.....:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if your engine battery has been stood since November there's a very good chance it is knackered.

lead acid batteries wont tolerate being left in a totally discharged state and rarely recover
it will charge but only a surface charge and will have no capacity so will die in seconds/minutes once a load is applied.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
another option

1) Solar Wind Split Charge Leisure & Engine Battery Camper available from "Renewable Energy" when they have a stock replacement, this one passes all excess to the engine battery once the leisure batteries reach 13.6 volts.

2) Duo-battery charging solar controller, this unit allows you to set the charging in 10% units from 90% leisure 10% engine ...to 90% engine 10% leisure battery. Available from Sunstore at www.sunstore.co.uk .

I have had the same problem as you, item 1) is currently out of stock, item 2) looks like the unit I will be purchasing, list price £27.00. The thought of being able to select say 50-50 charge when in store is very attractive.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I know there is a simple bit of kit that you can connect to the leisure battery bank and the vehicle battery that charges the leisure batts first then dumps exces charge into the vehicle batts,but I haven't got a clue what it's called or where to get one from or how much I should expect to pay for such an item ,I would be gratefull if someone out there would let me know

This is what you describe but a battery master will give your engine battery a top up if it needs it from your leisure battery regardless of whether there is any solar input.

Link Removed

Grandad Pete

Free Member
Feb 1, 2013
Chelmsford
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Battery Master

Hi Steve, I think what you are looking for is the Battery Master. I had one fitted when I had an alarm fitted. It works fine, it trickles the power across from the leisure to the vehicle battery. I got mine from www.vanbitz.com and I think it cost about £70. Their website has all the info and they are very helpful on the phone. I hope this helps. Regards Peter.:thumb:

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
We have a couple of this type of relay fitted, once the leisure batterys are charged via solar/lecci then the relay then splits the charge to the chassis or spare leisure battery.
Had no problems with these and at a low cost.

Link Removed

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you have a split charge relay system you can just link the two terminals using a short length of wire with a low ampage fuse in it, this will allow your solar to feed both batteries the fuse will blow if you try to start the van with the link in place protecting the leisure side from high loads
cost would be under a fiver

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back