Charging the leisure battery from the engine (1 Viewer)

Jonybakery

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Hi All,

I'm new to motorhoming and have recently bought a 2001 Mclouis 690. I did my first trip last week and loved it. One concern I have is that the leisure batteries are not being charged when the engine is in use. Does anyone know how to test the above or what the problem might be?

Thanks
Jon

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
The best way to see if the batteries are charging is to connect a voltmeter across them and run the engine at about half speed. There should be some increase in voltage, if not look for the possible faults as above. It will take agood run to actualy charge them.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
When the starter battery is fully charged from the alternator the leisure battery only receives a very small trickle charge so it might seem as if it is not being charged.

As suggested above the only sure way is to check the terminal voltage with a digital multimeter. Start the engine and ensure that the ignition light goes out, increase the engine revs and check that the voltage increases, as I said it may only be a small increase.

If there is no increase in voltage then you have a fault which could be as simple as a blown fuse or a poor connection somewhere.

Phil.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jonybakery

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Thanks guys. I measured the voltage across the batteries and revving the engine had no affect on the voltage. Would it be best for me to get the van into a garage?

Cheers

Upvote 0

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
It's worth checking the fuses & conections if you can, otherwise it does look like a visit to a vehicle electrician. Try to pick somewhere that deals with vehicle electrics, many garages are not that good in that area.

Mike

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back