Charging starter battery (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
My MH 2013/14 model built on a Peugeot chassis has a +ve battery connection under the bonnet and I was old that I could connect my charger or booster cables there if I needed to. (The negative side to go to a chassis point)
This would save lifting mats and covers in the cab to get at the battery but having looked at the battery I see it is of the old style with vent caps which I assume need to be released whilst it is on charge.
My questions therefore are as follows:
Is it OK to use that connector and leave the battery connected to the vehicle whilst it charges, good intelligent charger from CTEK?
Do I have to release the vent caps whilst it is charging and I guess top up the electrolyte with Distilled water if necessary or can they be left tight.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes....perfectly ok to use the remote terminals.....thats what they're there for. (as well as jump starting)

no need to remove the battery vents as the ctek charger wont allow overcharging, which is when most gassing occures.

worth checking the fluid levels anyway before charging.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If it is wet unsealed it will have a vent pipe. I think you might find that it is actually maintenance free sealed as many batteries still have caps that look like the unscrew but don't. Did you try?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
boxtraveller
Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013
If it is wet unsealed it will have a vent pipe. I think you might find that it is actually maintenance free sealed as many batteries still have caps that look like the unscrew but don't. Did you try?

They have a + type cut in them and yes I did loosen and remove one with the aid of a two pence piece!
Does that mean that I do have to release them to allow gases to escape? Though I do take the point of the previous poster that the charger will adjust and not overcharge the battery.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back