Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Howdy campers.

Seems so daft to me that when plugging into mains it doesnt charge the engine battery, before i get my tame spark round anybody found a sound and simple way to do this ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You can install a "B2B" charger...
I dont know much about them but others will soon be on and give you the info..

OR Buy a new Apache 700 at £53,000 and they charge both batteries..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
or simply buy a 3 way charger from aldi (£12) and remember to plug it in ::bigsmile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

bought tirckle charger from halfords [forgot price] never suffered flat battery since bought it 3 yrs ago now also have one fitted to spare 120amp battery for wife,s nippy machine, plug in mains or genny, red licht shows when discharging green when charged / simple he:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not cheap but reliable and fit & forget.

http://www.vanbitz.com/product/battery-master/

cheapest option is a length of wire capable of 25amps and a couple of fuses.

run the wire between pos terminal of leisure and engine batteries with the 25a fuse in an accessible position close to one battery....fit the second fuse at the other battery.

leisure battery must also be earthed to the chassis though or it wont work...unless you run a separate earth wire between batteries as well.

BEFORE starting the engine you MUST pull ONE of the fuses or they will both blow

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
You can install a "B2B" charger...
I dont know much about them but others will soon be on and give you the info..

OR Buy a new Apache 700 at £53,000 and they charge both batteries..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

Love it, nice one.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

run the wire between pos terminal of leisure and engine batteries with the 25a fuse in an accessible position close to one battery....fit the second fuse at the other battery.

leisure battery must also be earthed to the chassis though or it wont work...unless you run a separate earth wire between batteries as well.

BEFORE starting the engine you MUST pull ONE of the fuses or they will both blow

Or you could fit a switch to save fiddling about pulling the fuse, which are difficult to grip (or have I just got fat fingers)

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

I like the Vanbitz hobby, i will explore further thanks

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
PappaJohn's suggestion with a £12 split charge relay fitted in the middle is what I use to keep my cab battery topped up from the leisure battery. Works on solar and mains.

My relay is set to prioritise the leisure battery and stops the cab battery from draining it.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you know where the split charge relay is and its accesable you can just link across that with a fused link or fuse and switch if its more remote might be easier than linking batteries
actually the best would be a trip which would blow if you try and start the van that can be reset much like most house fuses now

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
In my van I can charge either battery from the ehu via a switch on the distribution box.

I can also trickle charge the engine battery via the habitation battery using a battery to battery (b2b) box.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
In my van I can charge either battery from the ehu via a switch on the distribution box.

I can also trickle charge the engine battery via the habitation battery using a battery to battery (b2b) box.

Thats the way it should be, all makers note.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
when my leisure batteries are charged it auto switches to charge vehicle battery or i can switch manually via 12v control panel.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

Thanks for this tip, for peace of mind plus the superb help of the seller i bought one and will fit it very soon.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
cant go far wrong with a battery master....simple operation and a fit & forget item

Well fella cheers, he she is installed and working, soooooper item (pls note this is BEFORE i tidied up).

Attachments

• IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 41

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No, No, No!

Before anyone else gets confused, a Sterling Battery to Battery charger is NOT designed for maintaining your starter battery when on EHU!

It is an adavanced alternative for charging your habitation (leisure) battery whilst your engine is running!:thumb:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
No, No, No!

Before anyone else gets confused, a Sterling Battery to Battery charger is NOT designed for maintaining your starter battery when on EHU!

It is an adavanced alternative for charging your habitation (leisure) battery whilst your engine is running!:thumb:

On the factory fit charger yes, i am talking about the little gadget.

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A Sterling chager could be used, but it is not the intended purpose of the device.

If you wanted to spend £350 for one rather than a £60 Vanbitz battery master, then feel free. You'll be wasting the capabilities of the Sterling unit which are better charging of your leisure battery, reduced charging times, reduced engine run times and dispensing with the need to carry a genny.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
A Sterling chager could be used, but it is not the intended purpose of the device.

If you wanted to spend £350 for one rather than a £60 Vanbitz battery master, then feel free. You'll be wasting the capabilities of the Sterling unit which are better charging of your leisure battery, reduced charging times, reduced engine run times and dispensing with the need to carry a genny.

You have lost me here !
I purely want to keep the engine battery charged when running on mains, hence the gadget its that simple.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm fairly certain that an Autotrail of your vintage has the facility to charge either engine or leisure batteries by simply pressing the button on the control panel above the habitation door. I know it doesn't charge both simultaneously ad its not an automatic switchover but you can select which battery receives the charge from the mains charger.

D.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm fairly certain that an Autotrail of your vintage has the facility to charge either engine or leisure batteries by simply pressing the button on the control panel above the habitation door. I know it doesn't charge both simultaneously ad its not an automatic switchover but you can select which battery receives the charge from the mains charger.

D.

Thanks Dave, that would be great and your right some do but sadly not mine.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You have lost me here !
I purely want to keep the engine battery charged when running on mains, hence the gadget its that simple.

Your problems are solved judging by your pic!:thumb:

There seemed to be a train of thought on this thread saying you should have fitted a Sterling Battery to Battery charger. This is meant for a different purpose, ie the charging of your leisure battery with the engine running.

I just wanted to point that out to avoid even more confusion!:Doh:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks Dave, that would be great and your right some do but sadly not mine.

Are you sure? On the control panel above the door there is a button with a symbol of two batteries on it, this button selects the battery that receives the mains charge. I assume you have the Sargent PSU2007/EC200 control panel combination. The EC200 control panel is usually sited above the hab door. On the control panel the second button from the left on the top row is the battery select button and this will select which battery is used and also which battery is charged when mains is connected and charger switched on.

D.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Are you sure? On the control panel above the door there is a button with a symbol of two batteries on it, this button selects the battery that receives the manis charge.

D.

Hi Dave, just checked have one "battery on" which turns the 12v supply on and the other is "battery level".
No others with any battery matter.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave, just checked have one "battery on" which turns the 12v supply on and the other is "battery level".
No others with any battery matter.

Which control panel do you have? Can you post a picture of it please? I only ask out of interest as your details say you have an Autotrail and from your avatar which I assume is your motorhome it would appear to date from mid 2000s, probably around 2004 to 2006 I'd say and this should have the Sargent PSU2007/EC200 combination.

D.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hi Dave the control pannel on my 2004 Apache looks like this ........

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Which control panel do you have? Can you post a picture of it please? I only ask out of interest as your details say you have an Autotrail and from your avatar which I assume is your motorhome it would appear to date from mid 2000s, probably around 2004 to 2006 I'd say and this should have the Sargent PSU2007/EC200 combination.

D.

Here you go fella

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 23

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.