Charging Info - Peace of mind (1 Viewer)

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Hi all,
whilst parked/stored with the 240v on my power readings are Leisure 13.5v, cab 12.2v.
I thought they would both be balanced around 13v ?

Thoughts would be appreciated as to why there not.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
if you are looking at your control panel readout then its no surprise that they dont make sense. if its anything like mine its way out! to charge your vehicle battery whilt on hookup you must press the button with the battery symbol on. this toggles between cab batt and habitation batt . put a multimeter on your battery terminals and check it for a accurate reading . happy new year sean:Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
if you are looking at your control panel readout then its no surprise that they dont make sense. if its anything like mine its way out! put a multimeter on your battery terminals and check it . happy new year sean:Smile:

Cheers Sean,
i will at some point but the daft thing about my Renault is the cab battery is underfloor and takes an age to access same.
As you say though its the only real way to check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all,
whilst parked/stored with the 240v on my power readings are Leisure 13.5v, cab 12.2v.

Our electroblock trickle charges the cab battery from the leisure battery so it always settles lower than the leisure battery.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
hi paul , maybe you could check your battery power at your ciggy lighter on the dash? sean

Yes good shout mate.

I think (until a better plan arises) i will stick a meter on each battery one at a time (2 leisure 1 cab) then switch on the charger and see what i get.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
On ours (Autotrail - Sargent) the charger seems to charge the leisure batteries first, and then the cab (starter) battery. When I put a multimeter on certainly the leisure batteries seem to get the priority with output charge which makes sense I suppose.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Mmm seems to be a pattern developing here……..

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Cheers Sean,
i will at some point but the daft thing about my Renault is the cab battery is underfloor and takes an age to access same.
As you say though its the only real way to check.

Just a thought but if you want to check the state of the starter battery with a meter use the "jump start" access point in the engine bay.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Just a thought but if you want to check the state of the starter battery with a meter use the "jump start" access point in the engine bay.

Great shout thanks didn't think of that. If I turn the charger off, put a meter on these points, then turn the charger back on I should see the increased volts ?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
On ours (Autotrail - Sargent) the charger seems to charge the leisure batteries first, and then the cab (starter) battery. When I put a multimeter on certainly the leisure batteries seem to get the priority with output charge which makes sense I suppose.

Regards,

are you sure about that, its my understanding you need to toogle the cab battery to ON on the controler pannel to get it charge from the the 240 volt charger

Remember when taking readings either on the pannal or direct of the battery /ies you should take then off charge for about 1/2 an hour prior to the the voltage flote and settle

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
are you sure about that, [HI]its my understanding you need to toogle the cab battery to ON on the controler pannel to get it charge from the the 240 volt charger [/HI]

Remember when taking readings either on the pannal or direct of the battery /ies you should take then off charge for about 1/2 an hour prior to the the voltage flote and settle

I have the EC 200 as shown. There is a black and white battery shown, in fact in use. When this is chosen the 12v supply and charge is the vehicle battery.(see voltage showing). The unit defaults to the leisure battery for charge and supply.
If not on EHU you can use as emergency supply but controller will cut off connection when vehicle battery's voltage drops too far.

Attachments

• Controllerf.jpg
    Controllerf.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 19

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams

Regards,

On my 2004 Apache I had to fit a relay which when leisure batteries are full,sends charge to cab batt when on hookup or from solar panels!

Vlad

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I like Scout thought whichever selection you left shown either cab or leisure that took priority.
My panel looks identical to Larbys (most likely is with differing name) but is a Sargent 2, the right buttons toggle between batteries, this is where I choose my priority, or not ?

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On my 2004 Apache I had to fit a relay which when leisure batteries are full,sends charge to cab batt when on hookup or from solar panels!

Vlad

Hi Vlad yes me also.

Later models have this built in but isn't clear what and how it works.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I like Scout thought whichever selection you left shown either cab or leisure that took priority.
My panel looks identical to Larbys (most likely is with differing name) but is a Sargent 2, the right buttons toggle between batteries, this is where I choose [HI]my priority, or not [/HI]?

NOT

You choose power/supply from 2nd button top left. Leftmost is on/off.
The 2nd left chooses which battery.
The up/down on right show voltage of batteries, also used to set clock,, alarm, etc.
Not my actual controller as mine isn't a Lunar but exactly the same otherwise.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
NOT

You choose power/supply from 2nd button top left. Leftmost is on/off.
The 2nd left chooses which battery.
The up/down on right show voltage of batteries, also used to set clock,, alarm, etc.
Not my actual controller as mine isn't a Lunar but exactly the same otherwise.

Now that does make sense mine does this. So when stored (with hook up) I should leave the top left on, then the black/white on also ?

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.

Vlad

That's how my 2006 Apache works too Vlad - its automatic and prioritises the charge to the leisure battery bank.

On my previous van I had switches to change over from leisure to cab battery similar to what Larby describes, but no switches on panels on my current one.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
That's how my 2006 Apache works too Vlad - its automatic and prioritises the charge to the leisure battery bank.

On my previous van I had switches to change over from leisure to cab battery similar to what Larby describes, but no switches on panels on my current one.

Interesting, so theres seems to have been an update around 2005/6 mines a 2005 and only has manual selection hab or cab, or has yours been altered with something like a battery 2 battery charge?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Now that does make sense mine does this. So when stored (with hook up) I should leave the top left on, then the black/white on also ?

Look here

Link Removed

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Look here

Link Removed

Yes good thanks but my question above remains the same to Larby. Looking at the PDF the black/white switches select which battery to draw from but I am interested in charging them.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Yes good thanks but my question above remains the same to Larby. Looking at the PDF the black/white switches select which battery to draw from but I am interested in charging them.

whatever battery youdraw from (if drawing) will charge (if available from whater source)

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
whatever battery youdraw from (if drawing) will charge (if available from whater source)

Jobs a good one as they say, again great forum help and banter, I have learned something and enjoyed it.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Yes I believe you can charge vehicle battery by switching to secondary battery, as well as drawing from it. But I may be wrong.

The first picture I used (image from Google) shows voltage as 13.7v. and shows as Vehicle battery voltage, engine won't be running as this unit is disabled, it is showing LED on black/white button so will be using vehicle battery?

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Yes I believe you can charge vehicle battery by switching to secondary battery, as well as drawing from it. But I may be wrong.

The first picture I used (image from Google) shows voltage as 13.7v. and shows as Vehicle battery voltage, engine won't be running as this unit is disabled, it is showing LED on black/white button so will be using vehicle battery?

Cheers again.
I just popped out and pushed some buttons and the cab battery said 12.2 then I switched on the juice, selected on Black/white the cab battery and it said 13.3 so looks like it's giving charge.
Once the monsoon passes I will check with a meter under the bonnet just to prove it.
Thanks again.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Cheers again.
I just popped out and pushed some buttons and the cab battery said 12.2 then I switched on the juice, selected on Black/white the cab battery and it said 13.3 so looks like it's giving charge.
Once the monsoon passes I will check with a meter under the bonnet just to prove it.
Thanks again.

no need to get wet, leave it on charge till later to night, note voltage, turn off charger, go back in 1/2 an hour check voltage (because its now stable) will brobily be around 12.5 + volts.

so its charged over the 12.2 volts it was this morning and held its charge after the (mains ) charger has been turned off

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
no need to get wet, leave it on charge till later to night, note voltage, turn off charger, go back in 1/2 an hour check voltage (because its now stable) will brobily be around 12.5 + volts.

so its charged over the 12.2 volts it was this morning and held its charge after the (mains ) charger has been turned off

Top banana, love it.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
These MoHo's are a great hobby, every day you find something different and sometimes challenging to get your head around, but what a 'boost' when suddenly the penny drops and another thing understood.

When I had my Kon-Tiki I thought I had everything 'under control' and understood which gave me a greater understanding of what was going on and what to do if something ever went wrong.

However, when I changed from the Kon-Tiki to the Apache the learning started all over again, what's this for? How do I do this? Why does this do it this way? Etc, etc, etc.
:roflmto:

I really enjoy getting to understand every twist and turn of a MoHo and this forum has helped substantially in that - it is a common 'twist' that similar MoHo's which look the same can act totally differently, especially when it comes to wiring, control and expected outputs. It could be down to 'continuous improvement' and how long something has been in storage before registration that can throw up similar but different systems fitted.

Again, a very interesting thread.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
These MoHo's are a great hobby, every day you find something different and sometimes challenging to get your head around, but what a 'boost' when suddenly the penny drops and another thing understood.

When I had my Kon-Tiki I thought I had everything 'under control' and understood which gave me a greater understanding of what was going on and what to do if something ever went wrong.

However, when I changed from the Kon-Tiki to the Apache the learning started all over again, what's this for? How do I do this? Why does this do it this way? Etc, etc, etc.
:roflmto:

I really enjoy getting to understand every twist and turn of a MoHo and this forum has helped substantially in that - it is a common 'twist' that similar MoHo's which look the same can act totally differently, especially when it comes to wiring, control and expected outputs. It could be down to 'continuous improvement' and how long something has been in storage before registration that can throw up similar but different systems fitted.

Again, a very interesting thread.

Damn well put that man.

Yes I to had my Apache well Sussed then changed and am still learning. But why oh why should we have to learn ourselves, where do all the comprehensive manuals go/ the detailed handovers etc. You buy a car it's easy, spend a kidney on a used Tonka toy and your on your own pal he he.

At least it gets us talking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back