charging from Solar + altenator + mains (1 Viewer)

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Currently charge LB through Zig CF8 on mains and through alternator when on the move. About to add a permanent solar panel to the roof and now wondering how best to connect up to LB? I've got a 30amp charge controller connected up to panel.

Options I'm pondering are:
1. Connect controller battery output up to LB input terminals in back of Zig (easy to do but not sure if this is ok?)
2. Connect cable from panel on roof to controller in cab then out to LB under bonnet?
3. Other?

Both options would include in-line fuse and some sort of switch to disconnect when not needed or on mains/alternator charge.

Would also be desirable if there was some way of charging vehicle battery should that get low on long wild stays - not sure how easy that would be to accommodate.

Any thoughts?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
First thought. Do NOT connect your panel to the controller until the controller is connected to the battery. There is a strong risk you will fry the controller.
Connection normally is best direct to the LB unless your control panel has a specific solar input. Use thick cables as short as possible to avoid loss.
If you want to charge your vehicle battery as well you can get a splitter to connect up to both batteries or just arrange a changeover switch to do it manually.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
or fit a battery master

you could fit a battery master than will make sure the engine battery is topped up from a float charge from the main house battery.. not very expensive.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
First thought. Do NOT connect your panel to the controller until the controller is connected to the battery. There is a strong risk you will fry the controller.
Connection normally is best direct to the LB unless your control panel has a specific solar input. Use thick cables as short as possible to avoid loss.
If you want to charge your vehicle battery as well you can get a splitter to connect up to both batteries or just arrange a changeover switch to do it manually.

I agree with that, then add one of these.

Link Removed

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
do not forget the regulator

I agree with that, then add one of these.

Link Removed

do not forget to put a regulator in line.

All the battery master does is takes excess charge to the engine battery and keeps it topped up... if there is not enough spare in the domestic batteries it does not do so.

VanBitz supplies them and fits them.. had my one now for a couple years and works just fine... I leave the RV on EHU outside the house and the battery master keeps the engine battery fully charged and ready to go.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back