Charging for leccy on site.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Mar 22, 2009.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've often advocated that it would be fairer to install leccy meters on sites and let people pay for what they use.. now my wish has come true .. the CL where we are have installed them .. site fees will remain the same at £8 and leccy extra .., this has come about because the site fees were barely covering the leccy use during the winter .. :Blush:

To be fair, I can't see how they were breaking even let alone making a profit .. this has to be the way forward and I'm sure we will see more and more sites going this way ..

This has brought forward my plan to install a couple of big solar panels.. wasn't any real incentive up to now .. :RollEyes:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. olley

olley Funster

Hi Jim sounds the way to go for sites, can you let us know what your weekly consumption is?

As your an RV and we all know how much extra water you use :Wink: perhaps they had better install a water meter as well.

Olley

3. scotjimland

Hi Ian

I know how much we use already.. :Eek!: during the cold snap ...50kw per day, :Eeek:

Not sure of the rate, think it's around 14p unit ? which was £7 per day.

Water .. hard to say, we are on city connection, but on past experience of filling the tank every other day and paying at Aires, I'd guestimate at 150 - 170 lt / day

We only poo normally :Blush:.. black tank is 50 US gal / 41.5 imp. gal and I dump every two weeks ..:Laughing::Laughing:

4. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

:Eeek: I know a good doctor, Jim.

5. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Place we stayed at Soberton Heath (between Portsmouth and Winchester) had metres. Mrs suggested that a couple of quid for the two days that we were staying would probably be enough (and she was right on the button) so she set that amount on the meter. I think if she'd set more and we hadn't used it we'd have got a refund. She was telling us about a large RV that was running a washing machine and tumble drier practically every day they were staying:Eek!: and she was losing money big style - she did think they were taking the p*ss a bit :Angry:. One of the incentives for going the meter route.
    Trouble is the metrers aren't cheap to purchase and install and most CL, etc. owners won't want to commit the outlay.
    But I agree it's the way to go, and it puts paid to the rip off merchants that are charging £2+ per night (for the service/installation) and only supplying 10 (or maybe even 6) amps

John

6. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Sounds good ;but the owners of the site become the providers so they will just set the cost /unit to suit themselves.

regardss

7. scotjimland

Hi

No, that is illegal, they can only charge what they pay for it .. from Ofgem site :

What it would do is stop the needless waste .. due to the attitude that "I've paid for it so I'll bl**dy use it " .. I'm thinking of those who try to heat up draughty awnings with 3kw fan heaters .. when they aren't even using it :Angry:

8. russ

russ Read Only Funster

Then we will be back to rip off England again.:Rofl1:

9. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi, Jim

Is the 50kw per day every day or is it an average over a period only like with everything there will be swings and roundabouts, and i would suspect the weather will play a very big part in the consumption, as A/C could draw a large amount if we have a good summer.

I suppose the other way to control the consumption is to fit lower amp breakers, one site we stayed at in France gave you a choice of the supply size by fitting 2 different sized breakers, I think the choice was 6 amp or 10 amp, they were the older style fuse block with a reset button that he used to slot into the fuse carrier on the outlet post when he took you to your pitch (hope that makes sense) albeit I don't think its a replacement for fitting a meter.

10. scotjimland

That was an average over a week.. and it was very cold..

I wouldn't want a low amp breaker as there may be times in the day when you want the full 16A .. but I'm more than happy to pay for what I use.

As far as A/C goes I've never used it, I'm of the mind that it's better to get acclimatized rather than sit indoors in an artificial environment .. and it's noisy, but there are those who put it on and leave windows open..:RollEyes: it's not hard understand why some site owners get the hump with RVers ..

11. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

Meters are fair as long as the site doen't over charge the cost per unit.

Errr just how much these days does 1 unit of electricity cost (Been in USA to long):Cool:

Iv'e tried to Google a web site that may answer the above but without result.:Sad:

Iv'e just visited the web site for the Spanish Camp Ground we stayed on for 7 months back in 2004/05

A 90 day stay cost 2 persons on 80 m2 plot €10.40 per night + €0.30 per kw electric.

Is that :thumb: or :thumbdown:

12. scotjimland

Hi Mick

If you fit a wireless power meter you can monitor what you use and compare with the site meter ..
    The meter I have also has an alarm which I set at 3.6kw ..aprox 15.5A to alert before we trip the site breaker.

AFAIK .. Leccy is about 14p per kwh

13. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

Jim,

Before we came to he USA I purchased a meter that plugged into an individual socket that would measure the amout of electric used for whatever was plugged into it, I thake it you have something that goes between the EHU and RV, where did you get that from?

This is the monitor I bought from Maplins Plug-In Mains Power and Energy Monitor > Maplin

Mick

14. scotjimland

Hi Mick

Argos .. I did a review here :

Owl Wireless Energy Monitor

15. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I think it's a good idea.

as said, its illigal to sell it on and make a profit. it woudl certainly stop some (including ourselves) from the blatant waste, im paying ill use it attitude improving the environment at the same time.

Also it would give what I crave, A CHOICE, I might just wanna cheap overnighter to stop on route with no EHU,

16. scotjimland

Exactly, I totally agree :thumb:

but you may get lucky ....

You buy a card from the office, £5 or £10, you 'charge' the meter with the card,( same as the 'pay to use meters' fitted to bad debtors in domestic premises ) .

If you leave and haven't used your quota then the next guest will benefit.. so if it's only a one nighter you could be lucky !

17. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Seems more than fair to me, others will think not.

Ie: Those that want to free load and moan about rip off Britain

18. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi, If the site owner is not allowed to recover the costs of the metering from the unit price of the electric, then surly they will have to raise the pitch price

20. scotjimland

Not necessarily, the cost should be recovered by the saving in leccy.. in fact, his net profit should increase .. I would think payback in a year .. ?
    it would also be easier for him/her to calculate how much to charge for the pitch .. no unknowns, they may even find it possible to reduce pitch fees .. I live in hope .. :Laughing: