Charging electric bikes

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mousy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Was asking about charging off ehu, just found the answer, that it's difficult.

Can't delete thread, sorry.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

What's difficult? You just need an inverter which will run when the vehicle's engine is running. Of course that's not much use when you are static but if you are travelling it can be done. Or use a genny of course but then you might as well have a moped!

3. Mousy

But the bike battery (10A) takes 3 hours to charge. So ok for longer trips not sure about uk weekends away

Unless we ask in pub/restaurant and dawdle over our food!

4. nomadic

nomadic Funster

We take ours fully charged before leaving base, never had to recharge on short trips.

5. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Mousy and Nomadic, I was contemplating a folder leccy bike, which have you got ? would you recommend ? suggest ?

My initial research seems to suggest the "Smarta FX", don't like the standard handlebars but I can sort that, I like the integral gears rather than derailleurs which are a source of aggravation. Your experience and thoughts would be welcome.

6. Mousy

A friend had done a lot of research, visited bike shops, read reviews and been for test drives. He has had the bike for a couple of years and is really happy with it. We just bought a bike identical to his. It's a great bike, made in Germany from good quality components with a Panasonic pedelec drive system. We love it. This is what we have got. Good luck.

www.50cycles.com

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

7. Mousy

Moodybrook have sent you a pm

8. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Thanks got the PM. Like your bike but I think mine has to be a folding one. Will have a shuffty on ebay. Thing is, I am not in a real hurry as we are going to try this year without, to weigh up what is desirable and what is really necessary :Blush:

OH was not gushing with enthusiasm about the concept. I hope to convince her otherwise ! The alternative is mega money "Toad". :Smile:

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you want a folding e-bike the very best, by a long way is the nano Brompton. Superb range and folds up smaller than anything else. Only drawback is the price. http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk

10. Mousy

If you are coming to Chester food festival in April she is more than welcome to try my bike. It's really easy to ride, no more arriving hot and sweaty!