Charging cab battery via cigarette lighter socket? (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
anyone use a cab battery charger that works via the cigarette lighter socket?
Sons MoHo doesn't have a split charging system, but on EHU he could put a small charger that can charge the cab battery through the cigarette lighter socket (to enable cab battery health and charge whilst keeping bonnet closed/locked up).
He has a 240 socket just behind the drivers seat so pretty close to the lighter socket (which is live all the time).

He would have a small solar trickle charger - but - we don't see sun any more.:Angry:

Any recommendations?

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think it probably won't work through the lighter socket because they tend to be live only when the engine is running.

However, in our Autoquest, when it was on EHU at home, I used to use one of the Lidl chargers sat in the driver footwell with cable connected to the battery by the crocodile clips and plugged into the 240v socket in the van. Worked well.

I subsequently fitted a battery charge manager from CAK tanks which did the job automatically when on EHU.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do the job properly, only 3 wires.

Scroll down a bit, I bought that one !

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello,

I have a Self Build Mercedes Sprinter SWB with a wheelchair lift on the rear.

It currently has a single 96ah engine/habitation battery.

With the exception of the Shrewsbury show last July, where my electric wheelchair ran out of power on the Saturday, I always use EHU.

I have been using a CTEK CTE-MXS5.0 5A 12V charger through my cigarette lighter socket very successfully this past year.

On the Sprinter, the cigarette lighter socket is permanently live.

Given how important electricity is to my daily camping enjoyment, I use a separate battery tester to confirm the state of the battery each morning - my OH thinks I'm obsessive about it.

All I would say is it works for me.

Regards,

Colin and Dawn

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I can see no reason why it wouldn't work as you say your lighter socket is live.
I opted for the cheap/ easy method like Graham and use a lidl/aldi charger thrown in the footwell ::bigsmile: it's been ok for the last 6 yrs and I changed the charger a few mths back for a new digital model :thumb: still thrown into footwell :Smile: must admit Brians link looks a nice easy solution but in my case I will stick with what works for me ::bigsmile:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
From my point of view there were two advantages to the BCM/CSB2 in our Autoquest:
1. The van only had two mains sockets and whilst it was OK using the forward one whilst the van was not in use the mains cable could have been in the way of the dinette seat/bed.
2. It charged the starter battery from the stand alone solar panel we had when we were away but off hook-up.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
On my old Autotrail, i wired the 12v socket to be permanently live. The bought a 1amp charger and fitted a 12v plug to the charger output.
Worked no problem at all. Saved faffing around lifting the bonnet to top up the cab battery.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
On my old Autotrail, i wired the 12v socket to be permanently live. The bought a 1amp charger and fitted a 12v plug to the charger output.
Worked no problem at all. Saved faffing around lifting the bonnet to top up the cab battery.

Didn't/don't have to lift bonnet simply wired charger in to battery:thumb: leaving all you have to do is lift charger out of footwell and plug it in / turn it on :winky:

terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back