Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
I installed a 214w solar panel last winter in a bit of a rush before a ski trip but now it's time to wire it properly. I connected the panel to a suitable solar controller with standard cable but put in a Tamiya connector between so I could unplug the panel easily from the controller. I connected the battery output to the back of the Zig CF8 on the battery input terminals as it was 6 inches away from solar controller. I again used a plug connector in between so I could switch cables between LB and vehicle battery so I could manually switch between which battery was charged (I would unplug solar panel first as I understand connecting the panel without battery being connected might blow controller).
I plan on running something like 25amp cable direct to LB and vehicle battery now to bypass Zig CF8. My question is what is the best way to manage the desire to charge the 2 batteries at different times?
I'm happy to manually switch myself as 95% of time I want LB charged but now and again it's good to top up vehicle battery so is it practical to install an inline switch on the cables from controller to batteries? would the fraction of time the switch takes likely to cause panel to blow controller or do I not need to unplug panel during switch? What is a suitable switch product?
Or is there a (cheap) device that can manage the power needs between the 2 batteries?

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
A battery master (1Amp) or Link Removed (3 Amp) will do the job automatically.

Note these devices are only meant to keep the battery (in this case your engine battery) topped up.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Also look at the CBE CSB-2 sold by Southdowns motorhome (among others).

Here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Thanks for the pointers so far. Have to say at about £60+ each they seem a little expensive compared to a £2 switch I was thinking of.
Automatic is good but from reading the product details they would only charge the vehicle battery if the LB was full, whereas for instance my last day in each ski resort I'd want all the charge going to the vehicle battery and forget the LB as starting the MH is the only critical thing, the LB would charge during the drive to next stop over.
Having said that auto does have it's advantages - would something like this product do a similar thing for £17.....
Link Removed

Seems to offer similar functionality.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a 30 amp double pole relay and switch, after the controller, would do the job at the flick of a switch.

main batteru (leisure) connected to normally closed side of relay and aux (engine) battery connected to normally open side.

flick the switch and N/C side opens and disconnects leisure battery, N/O side closes connecting engine battery

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back