gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
need a bigger charger for the odd occasion i have shore power available, or we are running the genny as we've had nowt but rain for the past month.. like we have just had since we came into scotland :cry:

at the moment i have a 20 amp sterling 3 stage charger, that was ok when i had a couple of 110 ah batteries, but we now have a 700 ah battery bank, and it takes more than a day to do a proper re-charge,

i have a 900 watt (1kw max) inverter genny (the clarke one, not bad, not as quiet as i had hoped for, but nice and frugal on fuel, especialy when on the eco throttle, sounds strange when i have the washer going tho as it revs up each time the washer rotates the drum, then back to idle between, then slowly ramps up as the washer steps upto full spin speed)

I rekon i can easily run a 40 amp charger, maybe a 50 amp one off this genny, but what i'm wondering is which charger??

i know the sterling chargers are good, but expensive, i've had a look at other brands mentioned here before, but it seems they dont go up as big as i need,

the one thing about the sterling digital chargers is that with the optional remote controll, i could adjust the power of the charger, and hence i could get a nice big charger of say 100 amps, and turn it to half power when on the genny, and full when on shore power.
the downside to sterling chargers is the price, unless someone knows of a place to get them cheap from??

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Eeek: Don't think so? 4 or 5 amps maybe? 1000/230 = 4.3 amps. Or maybe my brain is calculating in Metric this morning? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
:Eeek: Don't think so? 4 or 5 amps maybe? 1000/230 = 4.3 amps

Hi John , that is correct , the genny supplies 1,000 watt

So, the charger can supply 1,000watt div by 14.4vDC .. which equals almost 70Amps

That's the theory lesson..

now in practice ...

I have a 70Amp Victron, Multi Plus Charger/inverter , when it's on full load, my 2kw Honda struggles.. and has actually tripped out on a couple of occasions..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi knowing very very little about leccy things (my mate does all mine -good job too :ROFLMAO: ) Would it not be possible to fit a second 20 amp charger there by halving the time to charge ? or perhaps a couple of the lidl / aldi 3 stage chargers to help? These are only around 10 qiud each and give out only 4 amps max but £20 is a cheap buy for 8 amps :thumb: £40 would get you 16 amps :ROFLMAO:
Quite willing to be shot down in flames or be educated :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry
just my simple brain looking for a simple solution

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi John , that is correct , the genny supplies 1,000 watt

So, the charger can supply 1,000watt div by 14.4vDC .. which equals almost 70Amps Jim

::bigsmile: But he was talking about using a CHARGER, therefore 4 to 5 amps. If he had a direct 12 volt charger from the genny? Then YES 70 amps. My OHM's law is a little rusty since 1964. :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
::bigsmile: But he was talking about using a CHARGER, therefore 4 to 5 amps. If he had a direct 12 volt charger from the genny? Then YES 70 amps. My OHM's law is a little rusty since 1964. :ROFLMAO:

Hi John .. Mine too, :roflmto:

The genny has a power output of 1,000 watt .. this is converted or transformed to 14.4v DC by the charger .. so ..

max power available for charger = 1,000 watt @ 230v = 4.3A

max size of charger = 1,000 watt ( for the calculation, ignoring losses ) @ 14.4vDC = aprox 70A

jim

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:ROFLMAO::Doh::Blush: You're right Jim. My mind is playing hooky. I was all set up to convert the Gulf Stream this weekend, but our friend changed his mind and drove it up to Scotland instead to the buyer to do.
Now where was I? Am I hooked up to the house or am I using Solar power? :thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Doh: I've been thinking about it. When we used our 900W cheapo genny, it was charging the batteries via a TrueCharge 40. We were also watching Satellite TV and the odd 800W kettle for tea/coffee. It DID sometimes trip out when the kettle switched off and it WAS always hunting (the genny motor that is). :thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi you could simply buy another sterling 20amp charger, I asked sterling if this was possible as I have the 50amp version, and they said no problem, just join the outlets together.

Whether you could do this with a different make I doubt, as the charging algorithms would be different.

Olley

OP
OP
gazznsam

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
looks like that'll do me, half the price of the sterling version,

looks to be as long as my inverter, so it'll fit in the power locker with a bit of modifcation.... like i had to do for the inverter, i.e. cut a bit out the end for it to poke through.

RE: the generator power thingy, it is awkward, as you cant convert all the power into lecky, a fair bit is wasted as heat,

apparantly for a 1000 watt mains genny, it can run 500 watts of battery charger, and that's maxing out the genny, some gennies can tollerate tis better than others,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back