Jun 18, 2010
Bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9Years
Hello Can anybody help
I have a Swift Suntor 590RL Motorhome 1998 and am having a problem with the Battery Charger.
I noticed a burning smell when connected to the mains on my driveway and found it was the interior light that was shorting and burning.
I checked the Battery Charger and it appeared to have 35volts coming out of it , when I switched to Leisure Battery it shot right off the end of the scale.
I have purchased a second hand Battery charger but on fitting this it appears to be only giving out 4v and the 12 volt system in the van is not operating.
I am off to the continent 24 th june and need to get this sorted , any advice woyld be appreciated
Regards
Harry

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
As you are going away so soon, dont mess about: take it to a competent auto electrician.
They should be able to sort it properly, rather than guessing at a short term fix.
MHs cost too much to run the risk of it going up in flames.
It will be money well spent in terms of safety and peace of mind.
John

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
Check the voltage of the charger off load (no battery connection) if it's still 4v it's bu**3rEd.

If it's only 4v when connected to the battery either the battery is faulty or there is still a short somewhere.

It's easy stuff if you know what to look for, but if you are not sure then get a good auto electrician to have a look as Johnp10 says, "MHs cost too much to run the risk of it going up in flames.
It will be money well spent in terms of safety and peace of mind."

Hallii

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hello Can anybody help
I have a Swift Suntor 590RL Motorhome 1998 and am having a problem with the Battery Charger.
I noticed a burning smell when connected to the mains on my driveway and found it was the interior light that was shorting and burning.
I checked the Battery Charger and it appeared to have 35volts coming out of it , when I switched to Leisure Battery it shot right off the end of the scale.
I have purchased a second hand Battery charger but on fitting this it appears to be only giving out 4v and the 12 volt system in the van is not operating.
I am off to the continent 24 th june and need to get this sorted , any advice woyld be appreciated
Regards
Harry

Those are weird voltages, I'm guessing you or your meter is way out, you need help. FAST.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back