Charge setting for AGM Battery

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by 1948, May 14, 2012.

1. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

JUst bought AGM batteries to replace gel batteries, the electroblok charge setting is in gel position at present
    Can anyone advise whether I need to move the charge setting to wet for the new AGM batteries. or leave the setting at gel position.
    Thanks in advance

2. Phill D

Phill D

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

AGMs are just a variant of the SLA, so I would say change it. Gels need a higher initial charge voltage that can damage the plates in a lead acid

4. Phill D

Phill D

Quote below from a battery forum... hope it helps

A fully charged 12 volt AGM battery's voltage should read about 12.7 volts. You should charge it with about 1 - 2 amps of charge current at charge voltage 14.2 - 14.4 Vdc then drop the current to a trickle and float the voltage at about 13.4 after full charge.
    here is a nice charger in your price range, if you do a search you may find a better deal, but Northern is a well known company and from the description this charger will address all your concerns.
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/s…

I would not use a charger that does not have current limiting, i.e. a normal flooded-cell car battery charger or any other method without limiting current. connect + to + and - to -.

5. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

Just raed the article a bit confused says AGM works like lead acid batteries but then says it can be discharged to 50% compare with LA battery 80% Then go on to say charging method important. Should it be charged like LA or otherwise. No wiser, gel or wet setting ??
    Charger inbulit in electroblok

Big 1
    was told that in gel setting my charge will be 14.3v for 8 hours then floating charge 13,7v at wet setting charge 14.3v for one hour then 13.7v after My problem is which setting my new AGM battery applies

6. Phill D

Phill D

7. Phill D

Phill D

seems there may be 3 settings needed on a charger , wet / Gel / AGM i was trying to learn while "trying to help out"" :Doh::Doh: sorry:Eeek:

8. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

9. Phill D

Phill D

mine only has Gel and Wet also but on balance it looks athough wet is the closest setting to avoid undercharging the AGM.. good luck:thumb:

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

an AGM (absorbed glass mat) is a wet battery but the electrolyte is suspended in the glass mat rather than a free running liquid.

Loads of very good battery advice.....Read HERE