Channel Tunnel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Shell181, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Shell181

Shell181 Funster

We are due to go to France in a few weeks for a month, with much much disappointment and annoyance we have now started talking about losing our money and staying in the UK because we don't want to risk the motorhome being damaged or any altercations with the immigrants. The ferry isn't really an option because I'm not good on them and also we probably couldn't afford the fare now we've shelled money out for the tunnel which we always use and have for years.

I can't see this getting any better only worse in the next few weeks unless the government do something drastic like bring in the army, is anyone else thinking this way or are we just being too cautious?

2. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

IMO you are being over cautious, if you are that worried then change you crossing time to the early hours of the morning then drive a hour south befor turning in for the night, but don't park up on a motorway use any small town on route,

• Like Like x 1
  3. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

No way should you cancel. every report from motorhomers on this forum who have used the tunnel recently has said it's been fine. I have been following this closely on the news and it seems the incursions are happening mostly at nights and they are targeting freight. the chances are in the daytime you may not even see a migrant. Worst case scenario is a delay, which is what happened to us a few weeks ago when a migrant was on the tracks.

The scare mongering and nonsense is just politicians whipping it up and talking rubbish for their own agendas. The fact is that some of the Eurotunnel fences are not secure enough, which is now being rectified and since the upgrade to the fencing at the port of Calais the migrants seem to be focussing on the tunnel.

When I use the tunnel I follow the le shuttle twitter feed which keep me up to date. We don't stop near the tunnel preferring to make our first and last stop at the Auchan at Boulogne. I'll be going in September but given the chance I'd go tomorrow if I didn't have to work.

Go and have a great holiday

• Like Like x 5
  4. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Take the advice above, get yourselves off and have a great time :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Larby

Larby Funster

There are some waves on The Bay of Biscay waiting for me. Neighbours questioned if I was still going tomorrow in view of the problems. Damn right I am ! Admittedly I'm on P and O ferry but no migrants, strikers or French farmers blocking roads will rule me. I drove through the migrants when they stormed the docks 4th Sept last year. They are only focussed on the lorries.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Yes those lads (someones sons?) Will be climbing over each other to damage your camper! Best you stay home:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fenman

Fenman Funster

We have had friends travel in both directions over the last few days and other than a wait at the terminal depending on the time of your travel they have had no problems.(y)
    Don't believe all that the papers say. The most likely time for problems is after 10/11pm and before 3/4am.
    You certainly won't have any stowaways heading south.;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

We are booked on the tunnel for next month and I wouldn't dream of cancelling. As has been said, while the situation is no doubt difficult for truck drivers and needs sorting out asap there is a lot of hype and scaremongering in the news.

Don't let a little local difficulty spoil your holiday.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  9. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I would ignore the "advice" to stay home and go ahead with my plans but I certainly wouldn't change my crossing time to early hours of the morning, seems to me thats the worst possible time.

Certainly there are huge problems with migrants and anyone who denies this must be a fool, there are copious news stories and although they may be sensationalised the migrants pictured in photos and video are not being paid to pose for them.

The positive things are that, as has been said by others, they have travelled without encountering too much delay and the migrants are targeting commercial vehicles and the freight part of Eurotunnel.

Good luck and have a great time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

A lot of reputations are now at stake getting some order to the Chunnel situation, in three weeks things will be doubly fine, enjoy your hols we will be there same time.

Hi iandsm, poodle no 3 is in love! P1030938.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

they are targeting commercial vehicles rather than motorhomes why cancel, don't let the media hype frighten you.

• Like Like x 2
  12. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We've been over to France 3 times so far this year on the tunnel each time, we came back on 19th July last time. We didn't see any migrants near the tunnel and there were police all over the place.. As has been said above just go and enjoy yourself.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Hi we have just come back today. No problems going out on Saturday or back this morning not even seen a migrant. I was the same as you before we went but now can't wait to get back in 3 weeks this was our 4th trip since Easter. Pm me I'll give you my number you can call if you want reassuring. But for me I'd say don't worry

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

New Aire just outside Calais looks secure enough but tight on spaces :)
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Looking to book to come home in about 10 days , Eurotunnel don't seem to have dropped their prices , in fact a lot of times are sold out !

• Like Like x 1
  16. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Three. I have enough with one super intelligent poodle, I recon three might gang up on you.

17. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Staying in the UK just hands the victory to the daily wail (rioting farmers, fires, terrorists, illegals)

Get yourselves over here and enjoy your hard earnt holiday

It's great

• Like Like x 3
  18. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

They do, good job they are bone idle!

19. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We came through a week ago and saw no sign of anyone around the tunnel. The only ones we saw were lounging around on grass verges.
    We're due to come back on the 12th and I'm not concerned in the slightest so I would agree with the people who think you're being overly cautious.

Ignore the scaremongerers. I don't think any of them have been anywhere Calais recently.

• Like Like x 2
  20. LAM

LAM Funster

:france:GO ! You can always make a judgement when you get there..... after all, you have already paid and have the time, worst case is you have taken the M.H. for a drive down the motorway :cautious:
    During our trip a couple of months ago we saw several immigrants at the ports, both sides. We even saw a few, Calais side, walking along the motorway dragging suitcases.... Go and have a great time !
    Bon vacance (not sure of spelling !) :happy::coolest:

• Like Like x 2