Channel Tunnel Vs Ferries - your views (1 Viewer)

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We always go via ferry principally as it's cheaper.(We use our Tesco points for other things..we are flying down to London for a few days courtesy of our points at the end of Feb) We have used the tunnel in the car but I think we would need to get a guage fitted to the Gaslow if we wanted to take the van? :RollEyes:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We used the Tunnel several times when it first opened - it was cheaper than the ferry then, and its USP was that there was no pre-booking required, just turn up. When that changed, we went back to ferries as my wife prefers them and they were cheaper. Went by tunnel for the first time in 15 years or so the other day for a cheapo day trip by car - and waited three hours to set off because of a broken down train!

The most I've paid for the half dozen or so crossings we've made or booked since getting the van a year ago has been £56 - all with DFDS. That would require a lot of Tesco vouchers....

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We always go via ferry principally as it's cheaper.(We use our Tesco points for other things..we are flying down to London for a few days courtesy of our points at the end of Feb) We have used the tunnel in the car but I think we would need to get a guage fitted to the Gaslow if we wanted to take the van? :RollEyes:

You dont need a guage on your Gaslow (they're crap anyway). Tunnel staff ensure your bottles are turned off before embarkation :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
You dont need a guage on your Gaslow (they're crap anyway). Tunnel staff ensure your bottles are turned off before embarkation :thumb:

Thanks for this but according to the website they can refuse you if you don't have a guage fitted.Perhaps they don't do this in practice?:RollEyes:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We have used the TESCO Tunnel 4 times with our hymer
No prob not having a gauge on the bottle, they just check that it is turned off

We used the tunnel as I got it free using the Tesco vouchers
We found it very hassle free and if you arrive a little early they will put you on the next train out, if there is space.
If you are on a late crossing, when you get to Calais make for the ferry terminal, drive in a park up for the night in the ticket office car park a stay the night for free.

If, as we did you have to come home a bit early for any reason, just turn up at the tunnel terminal, give them your ticket/ details and ask to be put on the next available crossing, no charge.
If you ring them first to ask for a change of date /crossing they will charge you £15.00

It is a bit of a 'non experience' as you just sit in the moho and have a cuppa from your flask
We prefer the ferry experience, but if the Tesco Tunnel is free then it,s ok by me

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Thanks for this but according to the website they can refuse you if you don't have a guage fitted.Perhaps they don't do this in practice?:RollEyes:

When you consider that the inbuilt technology stops any gas vessel from being filled to more than 80% I can't see why a gauge is needed. As long as the tank has capacity stated in Kg or litres and its under their maximum permissible volume/weight you're going to be okay.

Anyone who looks into a gas locker and sees gas bottles (be they red, blue, green or yellow) is not going to regard them as a "fixed containers".

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Never looked at mine - ever, and I've been doing it since it opened.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
WE always take the tunnel with the dog as it's so much better for her. I'm not allowed to use Tesco vouchers a SWMBO insist on using them for Christmas food shopping.

Often take the ferry if just popping over for the day for a bit of shopping, as then we don't take the dog.

Ferry in my experience is not cheaper if you have a meal and SWMBO does the perfumes in the shop, can cost much more than the tunnel :roflmto:

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Not Ferry Good

Hi, we have used both the Ferry and the Tunnel and for as long as Tesco allow us to use the vouchers, the Tunnel is the handiest way to go. We found the checking in process etc, much easier with the Tunnel and as we have to cross the stretch of water between Larne and Cairnryan before we get to the south of England, leaving the Dog in the Motorhome for 2 hours during this crossing, the Tunnel is just so much more appealing.....35 minutes and you're there. But everyone to their own preferences. For us the Tunnel is so handy, you stay in your vehicle, you don't have to park within inches of the vehicle beside you, no stairs to clamber up, no dirty seats to search out, no expensive meals on offer, no ques back to the stairs and so on.
For us thanks to Tesco, we're off!!!, sorry, couldn't resist that, but seriously and no horse'n around, the Tunnel is very very straightforward and user friendly. Regards, Weejohn:thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
How do get the 20% off discount for being over 60 please?

Hi. To get the 20% off you need to book by phone - the customer service freephone number - 0800 917 1201. Just give required crossing time/date + usual other details to the (bi-lingual) young lady, and mention that you are 60+. Quick and easy, it takes no longer than booking online. (You can also book in person at the port if needs be, but we've always booked by phone).

The 20% off is only on the Newhaven/Dieppe (Transmanche) crossing.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The tunnel might be quick, but it is a bit anodyne. Going on a ship makes it feel like a holiday. Besides 270 litres of LPG in two tanks means that the tunnel isn't much of an option...

Christian.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes, it is soothing, no schoolkids running up and down, no people buying enough beer to refloat the Mary Rose in the duty free, just sit back and relax in the comfort of your own motorhome and if you turn up early, you usually land up in France before you should have left Folkestone!

autocruiser2

Free Member
May 29, 2012
Sussex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Tunnel wins hands down, easy to get on, easy to get off ( I once spent one hour between getting off the boat and getting out of eastern docks on a sunday afernoon)
Resting quietly in the back of the van with the papers.
Plus or minus 2 hours put on the next shuttle.

Only downside is the cost, just got DFDS return to Dunkerque for £54 for June/July through caravan club.
Last year booking a little late cost me £175 on the tunnel.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Also the money I save by NOT shopping at Tesco more than pays for my ferry crossings.

some one on here said not too long ago that they dont have a Tesco near so never use the store but do every thing with a Tesco credit card and get their crossings paid that way.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As Harry Hill would say...

I like ferries and I like the Channel Tunnel.

But what's best?

There's only one way to find out...FIGHT!

Harry Hill Can't stand the man
Never heard him say anything funny Ever!!!

Tunnel for us every time using Tesco vouchers:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ferry for us..
Woman hates all things Tescos with a passion.. ( I sometimes think she believes it is the anti-christ the way she goes on about it ! )

But.. I personally prefer the ferry as it is a good time to get some grub in me, get my head down for an hour and be ready to rock and roll when we hit the shore :thumb:

Oh, and of course there is also the fiscal aspect..
For our van with trailer the BEST we have ever been quoted is three times more than DFDF costs us.. That is a shed load of wonga over a long period and repeated trips.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Yes, it is soothing, no schoolkids running up and down, no people buying enough beer to refloat the Mary Rose in the duty free, just sit back and relax in the comfort of your own motorhome and if you turn up early, you usually land up in France before you should have left Folkestone!

Not quite so idyllic if you are unfortunate enough to be parked between a coach and the toilet compartment. People constantly walking past knocking the wing mirrors and looking at you in your cab as if you are an exhibit in an aquarium.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ferry for us..
Woman hates all things Tescos with a passion.. ( I sometimes think she believes it is the anti-christ the way she goes on about it ! )

But.. I personally prefer the ferry as it is a good time to get some grub in me, get my head down for an hour and be ready to rock and roll when we hit the shore :thumb:

Oh, and of course there is also the fiscal aspect..
For our van with trailer the BEST we have ever been quoted is three times more than DFDF costs us.. That is a shed load of wonga over a long period and repeated trips.

LOL John!

Shell works for Tesco! Let's not get the girls drunk or the main entertainment at the Thetford Bash will be Shell and Mo fighting with handbags!:Eeek:

We like the tunnel because you can make a fresh cuppa en-route and chill in your own peaceful world, plus we use Tesco vouchers.

Don't worry folks, the gas is off! We use a leccy kettle on the inverter!

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
TheTwoOfUs - Not quite so idyllic if you are unfortunate enough to be parked between a coach and the toilet compartment. People constantly walking past knocking the wing mirrors and looking at you in your cab as if you are an exhibit in an aquarium.

Pull the wing mirrors in, pull down the blinds, cover the windscreen and listen for the arrival announcement - Simples!

:france::france::france:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back