Channel Tunnel Vs Ferries - your views (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
On a cost for cost basis , ferry for us . Keeping an eye open for their every so often deals , get crossings with DFDS Dover- Dunkirk at around the £50 return mark . Example being , our next trip . Unless I"m doing something wrong while searching , then tunnel = £161 for best deal on our travel days . Ferry £49 return ( using a promotion deal ) same days . Far too much of a differential to ignore . Thats a fair few beers , meals or aires fees which can be bought with the difference in costs .

Comfort basis , have never used the tunnel when using MH , so really cant comment . Apart from saying , yes it would be nice to stay in the MH for the crossing . Also the bonus of the weather being irrelevant for crossing .However , its good to get in to one of the lounges on the ferry and relax for a couple of hours after our 2 hour drive to get to the terminal . Then reach France feeling rested and relaxed .

Convenience basis , it has to be the tunnel due to crossing frequency . Ferry wise , we have turned up early and been offered next crossing at no extra cost , so a bit of a bonus there .

The frequent traveller in the tunnel costs £430 for ten single tickets. You pay a £9.00 supplement for a MH making a return £104. An average normal booking made online is typically £120 - £140.

So ferries are cheaper. That said last time I went on a ferry Dover to Calais it cost c. £90.00 plus four breakfasts, drinks & items from the shop i.e. pretty much the same.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Just checked fares for a trip to UK in March ... Newhaven/Dieppe - £63.20 return... that'll do nicely. :Smile:

That's brilliant! what about 19th June out and 24th June back (Le Mans trip)????

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
That's brilliant! what about 19th June out and 24th June back (Le Mans trip)????

MH, :h:.2m high/6m long, £169 (if over 60, -20% = 135) :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We have always used the ferries and have had no problems, but we're going 'one way' at least in the tunnel this time in March using our Tesco rewards which seem to build up in value in no time. Got to be a bargain!

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We have always used the ferries and have had no problems, but we're going 'one way' at least in the tunnel this time in March using our Tesco rewards which seem to build up in value in no time. Got to be a bargain!

There seems to be a lot of funsters using (Tesco) points--

I always pop into a Tesco to and fro work most days, and they always ask me if i have a card ---no.

Do these cards add up too much after a while?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ferry every time......

Why?

Simples really.

I dont trust anything that was half built by the French and more importantly, as a young lad I remember many of my brothers mates being bussed down to Dover to do work ie building the tunnel....

I wouldn't trust these lot to build an Ikea flat pack wardrobe never mind the the tunnel. Right load of doped up pissheads they were. Only a matter of time before it starts leaking.

Think Ill take me chances with the good captain, Im an excellent swimmer :thumb:.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Also the money I save by NOT shopping at Tesco more than pays for my ferry crossings.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger

I always pop into a Tesco to and fro work most days, and they always ask me if i have a card ---no.

We buy fuel mostly from Tesco and occasionaly shop there. We run a 1000cc Yaris so fuel is only about £20 a week max, obviously a bit more if we fill up the motorhome. Tesco points give money off shopping but when used for the rewards like days out, eurotunnel, etc they trebble up (ie £10 is worth £30.

Last summer we did the Eden Project for about £10 worth of Tesco rewards, I was amazed it would have cost us about £35 had we had payed ourselves!

To be honest, we can't normally be bothered with this kinda thing but these are really good deals; have a look Link Removed

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I find the Tesco Burgers great value for money :thumb:

Especially if your preparing to go to France anyway? you might as well get on the dietary wavelength....:roflmto:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

We have been going abroad 3-4 times a year for the last 5 or so years and used Tesco points every time. Admittedly i do most of my shopping at Tesco ('cos I do it on line and have it delivered) and we also have a Tesco Credit card which we use all the time and pay off as that gives points too. They do soon add up and as we live about 25 mins from the tunnel it is definitely worth us doing it

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
So £10.00 of Tesco vouchers can be worth 3x that value when buying a Eurotunnel ticket.

Roughly how much do I have to spend to get a £10 Tesco voucher?

Fount it 4 meself - 1000 points = £10 voucher

That's £1000 of shopping

or £333.00 of broadband/mobile phone top-ups

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

we always use the tunnel its so quick and easy and can sit or have a laydown. the dog is a happy chappie as we dont leave hi side or have to drag him around decks.

we also use Tesco travel vouchers. its so simple, I am no fan of shopping at Tesco but I make a point of buying all or fuel from their petrol stations. As an example if you buy £60 of fuel a week ( and thats not a lot ) at the end of a year you will get £30 of club card points which will give you £90 in travel vouchers to spend on ferry or tunnel. :thumb: and its generally cheaper per litre than most places ( not all i would agree )

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
So £10.00 of Tesco vouchers can be worth 3x that value when buying a Eurotunnel ticket.

Roughly how much do I have to spend to get a £10 Tesco voucher?

Fount it 4 meself - 1000 points = £10 voucher

That's £1000 of shopping

or £333.00 of broadband/mobile phone top-ups

They quite often have extra points on things and if you use their credit card you get points when you use that elsewhere as well. They also give you points if you use their insurances, mortgages etc. But we just have the credit card, do our shopping and get fuel there.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The ferry's more interesting photographically speaking - I usually spend the entire Dover-Calais trip sitting on the rear deck taking snaps with my camera. I can't abide being in the passenger lounge unless the weather's poor.

The tunnel's getting booked up for Easter much quicker than the ferries.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
They quite often have extra points on things and if you use their credit card you get points when you use that elsewhere as well. They also give you points if you use their insurances, mortgages etc. But we just have the credit card, do our shopping and get fuel there.

I wouldn't knock anyone who shops at Tesco - especially if it provides the little extras they want.
Personally we collect Avios and currently have thousands of them. Honestly we must have 50k Avios - enough I'm sure to travel the world on a Wednesday, flying only clockwise with two other passengers, one of which has collected Avios through having their dry-cleaning undertaken by an Albanian with a limp...

i.e. there are so many caveats and conditions that we haven't bothered yet

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We have just booked a return crossing on the tunnel in November with our tesco points and had to top it up with £8.00 to get the exact amount - certainly can't get a ferry that cheap :Smile:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Really enjoy the convenience of the tunnel, frequency of trains, rapid load and off-load and overall fast process.

Use of own facilities and access to vehicle are also nice, thought of a billion tons of water above your head, not so nice.....

Tunnel also has rabbits in the car park, what a bonus:Smile: keeps the children happy whilst we burn the sausages and spill milk on the floor

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If your energy provider so happens to be eon they give you tesco points when you pay the bill

Vlad

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Ferry.
You cant get a full English with a nice sea view in the tunnel.

Thank god you can't, don't need a sea view. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for the tunnel. :thumb:

The other day, mentioned to Mrs Beaches 'Reckon I could get a return ferry crossing for us and the van on the dates we want for £50 or less - what do you think?' 'No, I'd rather use the tunnel as usual', was the reply.

And yes, we use Tesco vouchers if we've got some. This time we only had £90s worth (£30 face-value of vouchers) and the Eurotunel return in May/June was £142, so had to put £52 on the credit card.

Mike

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Tunnel every time for us. Easy and convenient. .. not to mention quick!
Never used tescos clubcard yet tho.
It allows us to plan our trips much easier.
Next trip is a late night crossing allowing an overnight drive down to Nice. We know it will be on time and our timings will be spot on.
A ferry would just slow it all down (we both work and time our trips around our work - so .. sue finishes at 8 .. gets in. Changes and we're off. Next morning we are there .. day 1)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Tunnel for us every time ferries a pain and not worth the hassle. Used the tunnel 2 days ago was late because of snow, no hassle got on the next train 20 minutes later. Haven't used the ferry for quite a few years now and hopefully will never need to again. :thumb:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Tunnel is so much easier, dogs stays in van, we stay in van, make a flask have a sandwich and cuppa without going out, and in Calais in 35 mins:thumb:

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I admitted to the wife I'd done very little at work today and had looked instead at train Vs ferry for the MH.

To paraphrase... "I don't know why you bothered; we'll never take a ferry again".

That's decided then:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
HI
We used our Avios points last time to pay for the ferry. DFDS 10,000 points equalled one £50 crossing. First time I have used the points for anything.

On the same note, does anyone have a Brittany Ferries Voyager card. We want to come home via Roscoff as Plymouth is only 15 miles from home. I did not renew mine this year, but I know that a friends and family code gets me 10% off the crossing, and there are advantages for the card holder as well.

I would be very grateful if anyone can help, please pm me.

Karen

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Under/Over?

We've used both. The tunnel is quick, from start to finish. The boats seem old tech, in comparison, and much like flying, a lot of wasted time. Prefer tunnel in the winter for certainty of travel, otherwise it's over water every time.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I find the tunnel a breeze. We have a trek from here to get to it - but that is part of the holiday!

Get on it early, and twenty minutes yoiu are there! I am one that gets bored quick, so it works well for me!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back