Changing VED class (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I've had my van upgraded from 3500 to 3850 kg by SVTech - I now need to let DVLA know and to get a new [bizarrely, cheaper] tax disc for private heavy goods vehicle. Seems I need to send them various forms AND MY TAX DISC. Which presumably means I won't be able to use the van as it would have no disc.

My local DVLA office closes 13 December. I thought I might be able to nip over there and get it done, but to find out you need to ring DVLA Central - and every time I've tried, I am informed that ;all 270 lines into the DVLA vehicle licensing centre are busy. So, Funsters:

1. If I send the stuff to DVLA how long does it take to get a tax disc back?

2. Could the local office do this if I turned up on their doorstep?

3. Would I be likely to be done for using the van with no tax disc? I ask, as it seems wrong that this should happen when I have paid up for it until next July!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
1.. I have heard average 6 weeks. Dont forget it's a new V5 logbook and not just a tax disc.

2. NO, has nothing to do with council at all.

3. YES. "not displaying a valid tax disc" is an offence... However I did not think you had to send your disc away.. You apply for the changes and they then send you a new disc.. At that point you return the old one or destroy it if requested...

I was lucky with my old van. All done in 10 mins at local office and just had to wait on new V5.

TIP.... Photocopy EVERYTHING before you send it away...

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
I've had my van upgraded from 3500 to 3850 kg by SVTech - I now need to let DVLA know and to get a new [bizarrely, cheaper] tax disc for private heavy goods vehicle. Seems I need to send them various forms AND MY TAX DISC. Which presumably means I won't be able to use the van as it would have no disc.

My local DVLA office closes 13 December. I thought I might be able to nip over there and get it done, but to find out you need to ring DVLA Central - and every time I've tried, I am informed that ;all 270 lines into the DVLA vehicle licensing centre are busy. So, Funsters:

1. If I send the stuff to DVLA how long does it take to get a tax disc back?

2. Could the local office do this if I turned up on their doorstep?

3. Would I be likely to be done for using the van with no tax disc? I ask, as it seems wrong that this should happen when I have paid up for it until next July!

If your local DVLA office is still open for business - take all your documents - i.e. V5 (log book), insurance certificate, MOT certificate (if you require one), a copy of SVTech's letter of authorisation showing the new permitted weights (don't give them the original - it might get lost!) and your current VED disc - to the office. They will have the relevant forms for you to fill in.

You can 'weigh in' your current VED disc for a refund of what's left of the vehicle tax year and obtain the new PHGV disc from your local office at the same time, although you will lose out on the refund as it's now December and they will not refund a 'part' month.

Your local DVLA office will then send the requisite documents to Swansea for them to issue a replacement V5 - it can take up to 6 weeks, but if you don't hear from them within a month, telephone them (Swansea, as your local office will have closed by then!) to check on the progress of your paperwork.

If you want this done before your local office closes, don't delay - they will probably have a cut-off date when they stop accepting documents etc.

HTH

Daedalus

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hmm...finally managed to get through to DVLA [4 menu levels and a long wait] to be told that they can't say for sure if the local office will be able to do it - they might just send it all off to Swansea anyway! Ho hum - will drive over this afternoon and take my chances.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
It was simple when I upgraded mine,

Completed the correct section on the V5/C and sent it off to DVLA with the weight certificate from ALKO. The V5/C tells you the correct DVLA postcode to use.

Got a new V5/C returned, vehicle reclassed as PHGV and a refund on the VED I had overpaid.

Did not return my current Tax Disc.

Can't say this is the same for everyone but for me it was simple.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Well - went to Notts DVLA office, handed over details, walked out 10 minutes later with a new tax disc and a smug smile. Only downside is the office, with all the other remaining local offices, will be closed by 13 December. And he advised me that if I'd been dealing with Swansea, I would have needed to return my tax disc with the application, as stated by SVTech in their letter to me. Suggest that is going to be a severe blow to all the DIY converters etc who will now have to deal solely with the DVLA call centre.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
When I had my last van done by SV Tech I just e
went round to my local t Preston and they did it while I waited and gave me a new tax disc, a refund on the old rate came through the post a couple of weeks later, I would take your papers to your local asap before it close's.
Pete

Ps Ask nicely and they are very helpful, and will be sadly missed in the future.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Is it official that ALL DVLA offices are closing on the 13th December?

Worrying if they are...:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
1.. I have heard average 6 weeks. Dont forget it's a new V5 logbook and not just a tax disc.

2. NO, has nothing to do with council at all.

3. YES. "not displaying a valid tax disc" is an offence... I did not think you had to send your disc away.. You apply for the changes and they then send you a new disc.. At that point you return the old one or destroy it if requested...

I was lucky with my old van. All done in 10 mins at local office and just had to wait on new V5.

TIP.... Photocopy EVERYTHING before you send it away...

yes, you do have to send it with the application paperwork.

no change of revenue weight can or will take place if you dont.

you do not lose the remaining months of your current disc as it is used to buy a new disc for the correct class...phgv.

you can specify either 6 or 12 months

any excess above the cost of a new disc will be returned to you as a cheque.
any shortfall will have to be paid, presumably by cheque, at the time of application..

my understanding is local offices, if you can still find one, will check and forward an application but they can no longer process one.

unless the rules changed when Swansea started doing it all you cannot put a vehicle on sorn when you apply....it must have a new disc.

Last edited:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
It is nearly 8wks since we sent ours off, rang after 4wks, was told they hadnt looked at them yet, tel following week conformity etc not been sent in with the application , oh yes they had and other paper work that was required.. they admitted that they were lost then, we have to have the original conformity sent in to them he said , How you lost it we said ... oops he said

We tel last friday , they were actually working on them - we were told that we should receive them in the next couple of days ... yeah yeah

Will let you know !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It is nearly 8wks since we sent ours off, rang after 4wks, was told they hadnt looked at them yet, tel following week conformity etc not been sent in with the application , oh yes they had and other paper work that was required.. they admitted that they were lost then, we have to have the original conformity sent in to them he said , How you lost it we said ... oops he said

We tel last friday , they were actually working on them - we were told that we should receive them in the next couple of days ... yeah yeah

Will let you know !

i knew this would happen when local offices were closed.

DVLA...far from fit for purpose.:Angry:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Slightly different but I phoned the local DVLA to get info on change of number plate ie to private plate, the guy told me to post to Swansea, I called in at Preston on speck with my Mr's telling me they wont do it they told you on the phone, the girl on the desk did it no time and I came out with it all done , might be worth a visit to your local office has I put earlier. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
DVLA

Hi

I had this sort of confusion when my 5000kg van had been registered in the wrong tax band. It was taxed as a 3500kg, but I wanted it right as "belt and braces". It took a lot of photocopies, talking and turning up at the DVLA in Shrewsbury to sort it out!

I drove my van though, can't recall thinking "don't use it", but note that is not advice - check with the DVLA what the position is

Russell

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

Will let you know !

Well still waiting ...:Sad::Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Swansea told me they never received my licence, form, photo and postal order for photo renewal.

bit the bullet and bought a second postal order, filled in a second form, attached yet another photo and a lost licence form.

4 days later my new licence arrived....followed a week later by the second form and uncashed postal order with a large DUPLICATED APPLICATION stamp across the form.

never believe a word DVLA tell you on the phone.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Further update for our up-rating of the m/h to 5250 from 4500 etc, well nothing arrived by Thursday's post so a telephone call was made once again , gave details and was told "Oh Yes Sir" it is on its way to you.. finally arrived today yes they altered the axle info as requested but guess what did they uprate the weight "BL..dy NO" :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
Didnt even return all my paperwork or photos

So two lots of paperwork sent £12.44 poorer and now will have to journey to swansea :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Swanea DVLA you are rubbish to deal with original sent 17th October
Kath

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back