Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi guys anybody got any experience of manual to auto transmission exchange.I have a pilote on a merc sprinter which i am thinking of changing to auto,but don't know what would be best
change the van for an auto or go for the transmission change in my present van,it's an 03 and only has 21k on the clock so i should get a decent partx on it as well if i was to change it.Cheers in advance barry:thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
auto

We have a Merc sprinter with the auto box and cruise control, fantastic combination just makes driving all that much easier, highly recommended.
Never understood all that gear changing malarky.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hi guys anybody got any experience of manual to auto transmission exchange.I have a pilote on a merc sprinter which i am thinking of changing to auto,but don't know what would be best
change the van for an auto or go for the transmission change in my present van,it's an 03 and only has 21k on the clock so i should get a decent partx on it as well if i was to change it.Cheers in advance barry:thumb:

You are seriously thinking of changing your gearbox on a whim?:Sad:

Why oh why?:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not worth the effort.....

replacement box, replacement drive shafts or prop shaft if rwd.
new throttle linkages and electronics
possibly new diff for different final ratio's
new and possibly altered g/box mounts
new selector lever and control cables
possibly new speedo cable if it aint electronic
new pedal box to do away with clutch pedal

sell it and buy an auto if it really is neccessary:thumb:

OP
OP
bazfergy

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
You are seriously thinking of changing your gearbox on a whim?:Sad:

Why oh why?:Eeek:

Who said anything about a whim?I have a disability and need to go for an automatic gear box i just hoped to get some opinions or pointers on what would be the best way to go about it.With my current van being in excellent nick and low mileage i wondered if it would be wiser to px for an auto or change the transmission,i don't know how reliable it would be changing transmission on current mhto auto so i was hoping to hear from people who had:thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Who said anything about a whim?I have a disability and need to go for an automatic gear box i just hoped to get some opinions or pointers on what would be the best way to go about it.With my current van being in excellent nick and low mileage i wondered if it would be wiser to px for an auto or change the transmission,i don't know how reliable it would be changing transmission on current mhto auto so i was hoping to hear from people who had:thumb:

Sorry, bad time of night ,morning to be posting.

I' ve a Sprintshift Merc and it is good. It may even be a straight enough swap as it is an automated manual box and may be identical to the manual on. I do think it will be a very expensive option though.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Mercedes...Expensive

They just seem to look good together dont they???

Good job cos they always seem to go together!!!! :cry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. have you thought about an electric operated clutch . i use a vehvac auto clutch on my vw lt .works fine . can still be driven as normal or use the electric operation to pull down the pedal . i have their tel. numberif you wan it . saves changing vehicle and drives either way you just change gear though. hope its what you need .cheers alan.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
First, I would say changing the gearbox on an existing vehicle sounds very expensive to me, especially on a merc.

Second if its the sprintshift you are thinking about, these are automated manuals and did not enjoy a good reputation for reliability. Mercedes dropped them a couple of years ago. I had one for a while from new and it gave some trouble. I did not particularly enjoy driving it when it was OK either, so much so that I decided that I actually preferred the manual (even though my car was auto at the time and I was happy with that, but this was a "proper" auto with a torque converter and not an automated manual)

So I would say if you really want an auto that much, maybe its time to change the van. But I would also say, in my view, stay clear of the sprintshift and go for a full auto.

OP
OP
bazfergy

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Thanks everybody for you're valuable input it really is much appreciated,i think the general consensus seems to be go for a full auto clutch,which is pretty much what i was leaning toward.I think i'll enquire about a trade in or see if i'm better off selling mine and buying another.Thanks again guys:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back