Changing the gas locker ... ... (1 Viewer)

BigJohn

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kiveton Park, S Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile.
Exp
3 yrs long, long ago
I believe that the gas locker can be converted to a gas tank.
So, instead of buying the small 6Kg gas bottles which don't last very long when uding the heating in winter, thre is a much larger gas tank.
For rallying and winter trips this could be ideal.
Also, it can be refilled at a garage much more cheaply.

Has anyone done this, and was it worth it?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sounds like good plan, just ensure all connections are acessible for maintenance. Remember it could cause problems on Euro tunnel where fixed tanks are not allowed.
Let us know how you get on costs etc as others may well wish to go the same route.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
. Remember it could cause problems on Euro tunnel where fixed tanks are not allowed.

Hi Roger

you are mistaken, fixed tanks are permitted, it's LPG powered vehicles that are banned.

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Sounds like good plan, just ensure all connections are acessible for maintenance. Remember it could cause problems on Euro tunnel where fixed tanks are not allowed.
Let us know how you get on costs etc as others may well wish to go the same route.

Domestic gas tanks, i.e. those used for heating and cooking are allowed in the tunnel as long as they can be turned off (isolated).

What isn't allowed is gas fuelled vehicles.

Is the OP referring to a Gaslow system, which is just a refillable gas bottle. Otherwise a gas tank can be installed underneath the chassis but it had to be a vapour only type as opposed to a liquid supply as used for vehicles engines.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Roger

you are mistaken, fixed tanks are permitted, it's LPG powered vehicles that are banned.

jim

Domestic gas tanks, i.e. those used for heating and cooking are allowed in the tunnel as long as they can be turned off (isolated).

What isn't allowed is gas fuelled vehicles.

Is the OP referring to a Gaslow system, which is just a refillable gas bottle. Otherwise a gas tank can be installed underneath the chassis but it had to be a vapour only type as opposed to a liquid supply as used for vehicles engines.

well thats cleared that up then I did say COULD cause problems, hee hee

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I believe that the gas locker can be converted to a gas tank.

Also, it can be refilled at a garage much more cheaply.

Has anyone done this, and was it worth it?

I suppose you do know of gaslow - almost what you describe but I suspect cheaper or easier to get installed, like 2 hours DIY.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Persoannly I would fit an underslung tank, this frees up another locker.

The benefit of the Gaslow system is you can take it with you if you change vans.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I suppose you do know of gaslow - almost what you describe but I suspect cheaper or easier to get installed, like 2 hours DIY.

Certainly a quick and easy solution - we use twin BP gaslite 10kg bottles on gaslow pipes and fittings means we can easily change fittings to another type of bottle if necessary when abroad but it is suprising just how long 20kg of gas lasts and it saves a massive amount of weight on the metal bottles - whilst a tank is an option many of the gas refueling points are not that easy for a 5'er and it would be a pain if you need to top up when you are pitched up.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, A friend of mine with a Hymer 534 has both systems, He has the underslung gastank which he uses for northern Europe where LPG is freely available and cheap, and keeps two Spanish bottles in the gas locker for when in Spain where its difficult to find LPG.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi, A friend of mine with a Hymer 534 has both systems, He has the underslung gastank which he uses for northern Europe where LPG is freely available and cheap, and keeps two Spanish bottles in the gas locker for when in Spain where its difficult to find LPG.

:Cool: I have 4 Spanish gas bottles for our Newmar. I wanted to fit one into our Suntor 630G, but they will ONLY take 6kg bottles. :Angry:

I haven't decided on whether to fit an on-board tank. Don't like the PRICE of tjhe Gaslows.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
:Cool: I have 4 Spanish gas bottles for our Newmar. I wanted to fit one into our Suntor 630G, but they will ONLY take 6kg bottles. :Angry:

I haven't decided on whether to fit an on-board tank. Don't like the PRICE of tjhe Gaslows.
Hi, If you are ever in Portugal or Poland it is much cheaper to have the gastank fitted there. Have heard of a few people having gastanks fitted in Portugal,am sure someone will be along with the address soon. Also here in Holland almost every garage does gas conversions,becouse the LPG is so popular becouse its one of the few things that are cheap here. Regards, Dave.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, If you are ever in Portugal or Poland it is much cheaper to have the gastank fitted there. Have heard of a few people having gastanks fitted in Portugal,am sure someone will be along with the address soon. Also here in Holland almost every garage does gas conversions,becouse the LPG is so popular becouse its one of the few things that are cheap here. Regards, Dave.

long way to go if you have any warranty problems though dave. :Doh:

there again.....any excuse for another trip out.:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
long way to go if you have any warranty problems though dave. :Doh:

there again.....any excuse for another trip out.:thumb:
Hi John, Always like to make use of a trip somwhere. Got my solar panels in Marroc along with new kingpins fitted, Flatscreen TV in Andora tax free, Long range fuel tank fitted in Poland. It all helps with the running costs. Am not saying go to Portugal to have a gastank fitted,but if you are thinking of spending some time there in the winter why not get it done and the saving helps pay the trip.:thumb:

OP
OP
BigJohn

BigJohn

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kiveton Park, S Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile.
Exp
3 yrs long, long ago
The Gaslow cylinders (6 Kg) are £120.00! each. :Eeek: Yes £120 each. :cry:
So, a built-in tank system will be fiendishly expensive, so I can forget that. Phew! :thumbdown:

On the other hand, using a normal full size Calor Gas propane bottle (the size of the Spanish bottles) seems to be a good alternative - used from outside when on site, and carried on board in the underbed locker when travelling. Certainly the cheaper option. Easy to exchange when empty at a rather more reasonable cost than my 6Kg bottles, and they'll last longer on a winter rally.

Many, many thanks for all your replies - they've focussed my thoughts nicely.

:thanks2:

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

:Cool: Now there is a thought. Our Dutch friends have been pestering us to take them to Portugal again like we did back in 1998 in our first Motorhome. They could pay for the fuel and I could get a Tank fitted. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back