Changing solar regulator HELP!! (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
You will perhaps have noticed from my previous posts that I am a complete thiko when it comes to electric. So if you answer this post, please be gentle.

I am going to replace my leisure battery (Again) and while I am at it, I thought it would be a great |idea to change the regulator; I have in my other post received some great – read easy to follow in simple language – advice and thank you again to those members.

And so to my next problem:

My present regulator is a BP Solar GCR 1200 (old as the hills) the terminals on it are marked as follows: Solar + - Battery + - and the one that I am not sure about has a symbol shaped like a bottle.

My new regulator is a Blue Solar charge controller MPPT 75 / 15 the terminals are marked as follows: Batt (easy enough) PV (is that the solar panel?) and the last one is marked as “Load”

My question: Is the bottle shape on the old one the same as the “Load” one on the new regulator?

Now I know that to all you “Electrical” people it will be obvious BUT please remember I know nothing about electric and I do believe that if I connect the wrong way round, I will need to use my fire extinguisher.

Easy enough question (well it is Sunday)....ready....steady....GO

And thank you for any help you give :)(y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Yes the bottle shaped symbol represents "load" (actually its supposed to look like a light bulb rather than a bottle). When connecting the new regulator be sure to connect the battery connections first as the Blue Solar unit is dual voltage (12 and 24) and if it gets power from the solar panel (PV for Photo Voltaic) first then it defaults to 24 volt charging which your 12 volt leisure battery really won't like. By connecting to the battery first the regulator recognises the 12 volt battery and sets itself to 12 volt charging.

D.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Yes the bottle shaped symbol represents "load" (actually its supposed to look like a light bulb rather than a bottle). When connecting the new regulator be sure to connect the battery connections first as the Blue Solar unit is dual voltage (12 and 24) and if it gets power from the solar panel (PV for Photo Voltaic) first then it defaults to 24 volt charging which your 12 volt leisure battery really won't like. By connecting to the battery first the regulator recognises the 12 volt battery and sets itself to 12 volt charging.

D.

On a second look, I guess it is a picture of a light bulb ( obvious really, after all why would it be a bottle)

I said I didn't know much about electric......its even less than I thought :LOL:

Thank you VERY much, I appreciate your help.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
When connecting the new regulator be sure to connect the battery connections first as the Blue Solar unit is dual voltage (12 and 24) and if it gets power from the solar panel (PV for Photo Voltaic) first then it defaults to 24 volt charging which your 12 volt leisure battery really won't like. By connecting to the battery first the regulator recognises the 12 volt battery and sets itself to 12 volt charging.

D.
Isn't it a bit risky having a regulator that defaults to 24v charging? I remember being at a rally where a Funster had just had his leisure battery changed. The regulator defaulted to 24v and promptly fried his new battery! It was only because another Funster recognised the smell for what it was that a nasty accident was averted. The original Funster had put the smell down to drains.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It is what it is Maz, that's how quite a few regulators are designed now which is why I fit labels near the reg and batteries advising people to disconnect solar first and reconnect last if batteries need disconnecting plus it is clearly written in the instruction leaflets that come with the Blue Solar regs.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: maz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back