Changes to the tcp/ip net (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Internet Protocol version 6 (IPV6). is due to come into effect on June 8Th. it may course some problems with your browser finding the new addresses.

Doug...

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Not quite true Doug. this is the world test day for V6, when several websites will run parallel V4 and V6 for 24 hours to test it. After that they turn off V6 and go back to V4 only whilst the test results are analysed and any necessary changes made to the protocol.

There should be no problems for most people, as the participating sites will be using both protocols.

more information is here http://worldipv6day.org/faq/

David

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Internet Protocol version 6 (IPV6). is due to come into effect on June 8Th. it may course some problems with your browser finding the new addresses.

Doug...

In the above post I should have also said that (IPV6) test is for that one day only. thanks to (Dave) DBSilverfox for pointing my omission out.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

Doug...

And how long has ipv6 been in existence...?:RollEyes:

IPv6 was developed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) to deal with the long-anticipated IPv4 address exhaustion, and is described in Internet standard document RFC 2460, published in December 1998

Finally Comes the realisation that.....The available addresses have almost....run out.:Doh:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
IPV6 support has been built into pretty much all hardware for the last 7-8 years. So unless you are using very old hardware and OS you are unlikely to encounter any issues from your home equipment.

May be worth checking settings for your network cards and routers to ensure the functionality is enabled (should be by default). Both work in parallel to each other so no reason it shouldn't be enabled.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Windows has IPV6 enabled by default.
My servers all have IPV6 addresses already and run in parallel to the IPV4.

The only bit I haven't been bothered to do yet is the DNS servers for IPV6 due to lack of demand :Doh:

Guess I ought to get off my butt and actually do it...

As mentioned in a previous post this is only a consolidated test date to try and push some of us lazy providers into actually making a move on it.

IPV4 address have been predicted to run out for a few years now. I can't see this happening too soon as the market for assigned but unused addresses is likely to take up quite a bit of the slack for some time.

Karl

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back