Changed Alde antifreeze

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by funflair, Jan 7, 2016.

1. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

As the title suggests I decided it was time I changed the antifreeze fluid in the Alde heating system as I didn't know how long it had been in as we have had the van 4 years and not been done in our ownership, its not just an antifreeze but a corrosion inhibitor as well.

On our Flair we have a drain point under the van so dumping the old stuff was pretty easy, Alde say to use G12++ (purple) VW spec antifreeze at no stronger than 50:50, local auto spares had a compatible fluid that would mix OK with any residual old stuff, filled the header tank and opened a few bleed nipples and all looks good, had a bit of heat on it last night but now levelled up a bit more and going to bleed again then run it to check.

Only downside of the compatible fluid I used is that you struggle to see the level in the header as it has not got the dark colour.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Can you put something bright coloured that floats into the header tank

3. funflair

Quick thinking Batman, but the pump is in there as well, it's OK I can see it well enough to check now and again.

Bled a bit more this morning and all warm now.

Martim

• Like Like x 2
  4. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

We had our Alde 3000 done not long after we bought the van. We had the boiler serviced by Graham Cutmore and the coolant changed. He brought the new coolant with him and gave me the remainder that was left in one of the containers for topping up.

He uses the Alde stand alone service pump to empty, flush then refill the system, which makes bleeding the air off much easier. There was still some air in the system and we found that a trip out in the van and then running the system did the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  5. funflair

The bleeding was much easier than I thought it might be, I will check them all next time we are out.

Total cost £20.

Martin