Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
We have a manual wind-up maxview dish and not been able to get it to work with either a Sky Pace box or and Openbox. Probably user error, but to be honest for the amount of time we watch TV we are thinking that a normal freeview aerial would suit us best. Is there something we could simply use the existing roof fittings with? Currently very price sensitive!

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We use an Avtex STH3000 freeview aerial that just suckers onto the side of the van which plugs into a aerial point we have fitted to the outside of the van.

Pretty fuss free in areas where there's a decent tv signal but useless in places where the tv signal is weak

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Don't get rid of the Maxview...they're great when you get the hang of it.
Get a cheap camping aerial and clamp it to somewhere on the bike rack, feed the cable through a window.

Allen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

My Avtex STH3000 works inside the van, without even being fixed(y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Agree keep the maxview, just find someone at the next rally to go over it with you..
Common issues on these is the co-ax cable getting stretched, could be as easy as removing and re-fitting the plugs.
LNB on the dish could be faulty, £10 or so off ebay..
VERY unlikely anything wrong with the dish unless you can see physical damage..

Cheap TV aerial option, get one and strap it to your bike / ladder rack on the back. :)

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Another vote for the Avtex STH3000, we also use it inside the van just plug it in and use the sucker to fix it to a convenient surface near TV, so far has always picked up a great picture with no fiddling around, simple and easy(y)

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
My son got one from ebay for his camper, we use the same in our conservatory cost £20/£25
with cable and booster works great ariel is pear shape sealed unit

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Glad to have helped a fellow funster, Gollom (Steve), to get his maxview sat dish and Openbox receiver working this morning....looks like the separate in-line sat finder wasn't working so I took it out of line and used the in-built one on my trusty Lidl comag receiver. A little bit fiddly as the elevation markings on the maxview 'raise the dish up twisty thing' appeared to be about 8 degrees out.
Once we confirmed all ok using my comag, we then put the Openbox in line...this was also fiddly...not helped by the default setting for the LNB being in the OFF position. After we made it ON, all was good, and everything appears to be working as it should.
Acid test now....can you remember it all Steve ? I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Allen

OP
OP
Gollom

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
I made notes :)

Thanks Allen - much appreciated. Just hope I can pass the wisdom on down the line!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back