Change to standard aerial?

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Gollom, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Gollom

Gollom Funster

We have a manual wind-up maxview dish and not been able to get it to work with either a Sky Pace box or and Openbox. Probably user error, but to be honest for the amount of time we watch TV we are thinking that a normal freeview aerial would suit us best. Is there something we could simply use the existing roof fittings with? Currently very price sensitive!

2. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

We use an Avtex STH3000 freeview aerial that just suckers onto the side of the van which plugs into a aerial point we have fitted to the outside of the van.

Pretty fuss free in areas where there's a decent tv signal but useless in places where the tv signal is weak

• Like Like x 1
  3. walburga

walburga Funster

Don't get rid of the Maxview...they're great when you get the hang of it.
    Get a cheap camping aerial and clamp it to somewhere on the bike rack, feed the cable through a window.

Allen

• Like Like x 1
  4. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

My Avtex STH3000 works inside the van, without even being fixed(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Agree keep the maxview, just find someone at the next rally to go over it with you..
    Common issues on these is the co-ax cable getting stretched, could be as easy as removing and re-fitting the plugs.
    LNB on the dish could be faulty, £10 or so off ebay..
    VERY unlikely anything wrong with the dish unless you can see physical damage..

Cheap TV aerial option, get one and strap it to your bike / ladder rack on the back. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tweedie

Tweedie Funster

Another vote for the Avtex STH3000, we also use it inside the van just plug it in and use the sucker to fix it to a convenient surface near TV, so far has always picked up a great picture with no fiddling around, simple and easy(y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. musson

musson Funster

My son got one from ebay for his camper, we use the same in our conservatory cost £20/£25
    with cable and booster works great ariel is pear shape sealed unit

• Like Like x 1
  8. walburga

walburga Funster

Glad to have helped a fellow funster, Gollom (Steve), to get his maxview sat dish and Openbox receiver working this morning....looks like the separate in-line sat finder wasn't working so I took it out of line and used the in-built one on my trusty Lidl comag receiver. A little bit fiddly as the elevation markings on the maxview 'raise the dish up twisty thing' appeared to be about 8 degrees out.
    Once we confirmed all ok using my comag, we then put the Openbox in line...this was also fiddly...not helped by the default setting for the LNB being in the OFF position. After we made it ON, all was good, and everything appears to be working as it should.
    Acid test now....can you remember it all Steve ? I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Allen

• Like Like x 4
  9. Gollom

Gollom Funster

I made notes :)

Thanks Allen - much appreciated. Just hope I can pass the wisdom on down the line!

• Like Like x 1