Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
The front tyres on Dottie are getting near the wear bars, but the rears have lots and lots left on them.
What's best? Two new on the front as a straight replacement or move back to the fronts and new on the rear.
The rears do not have any signs of cracking, but thought best to wear them out on the front.
They are 6 years old.
Thoughts please peeps.
Geoff
(Dottie is a Fiat Ducato)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Changed ours round this year but put the slightly more worn set from back onto front.
The idea is the back ones last longer and front will get a new set first.
We do not go where there is frost or drive in heavy rain!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My first thought was to just simply replace the fronts, but then I thought, how old are the rears? Rear tyres (generally) wear out much more slowly than fronts so you could end up with out-of-date rears and have to prematurely replace them.

I also seem to recall that tyre fitters normally want to fit new tyres to the rear, the idea being that it is somewhat "safer" if a front blows. Someone will no doubt correct me if I've got that wrong.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My first thought was to just simply replace the fronts, but then I thought, how old are the rears? Rear tyres (generally) wear out much more slowly than fronts so you could end up with out-of-date rears and have to prematurely replace them.

I also seem to recall that tyre fitters normally want to fit new tyres to the rear, the idea being that it is somewhat "safer" if a front blows. Someone will no doubt correct me if I've got that wrong.
It's to do with steering and lost grip. It's easier to control a front wheel skid than if the rear steps out

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
At six years old I would be considering replacing all four.
My thoughts too, despite the wear they will all have had the same environmental exposure so even if they look okay I'd rather be safe and replace the lot with it being a heavy motorhome, the spare too.

As for the age - have you checked the date codes on them all to confirm what their actual manufactured dates were?

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Thanks for all your input.
No, I haven't yet checked the date code but will do.
Counting up the votes, I think I will go with rear to front.
Dottie is not heavily laden and I'm also known as mr lightfoot, so speed is not a great factor.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its nothing to do with the actual loading or being slow driver it's about safety, motorhomes do a lot of standing around on the same spot on the tyre so this can cause them to deteriorate more than ones that have regular use, look at the date codes and let us know what they are as you could find that they are quite a bit older than 6 years ... it's not uncommon for the base vehicles to be hanging a round for quite a while before they're converted so the date could be up to another 2 years on top!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I would just replace them, at six years old they are getting old in the tyre world. Better to be safe than sorry.

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Thank you all. I will take on board all your advice. Now Santa has move his sled out the way I'll check those date codes.

Merry Christmas everyone

Geoff and Therese

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I can only agree with my more experienced funsters.
On my side, I go twice a year to my local tyre fitter and all the tyres are professionally checked and although they were more than adequate earlier this year, I decided that I would change all 4. They all had very good tread and from the fitters perspective, good all round.
However, they were 10 years old and the price that I got (after checking tyre depots and on line suppliers) I decided to change.
From lots of places, I'd heard, or read, that to change at 5 years, then 7 years, then 8 years so advice was elastic but I decided that as the tyres were 10 years old, I'll change albeit that the tyre place had passed the condition.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back