Cello tv or Avtex tv

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brightspark, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

Has anyone purchased a cello tv against an Avtex? I'm considering either the new Cello
    19 inch traveller or the Avtex 19 inch. The models both have freeview & sat tuners + dvd player. The cello also has bluetooth & ez cast whilst the Avtex is full HD

Any thoughts or recommendations?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Anything from a supermarket will be ok at a fraction of the avtex price.
    As long as it has a transformer in the power lead it will run on 12v.

Modern tvs all have electronic circuit boards, no glass valves or tubes to damage, so reasonable rough handling and jolting wont do any harm.

3. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We sold our Cello for an Avtex. We did this as the Avtex was slightly larger, it has Sat recv builtin (future req) and a powered aerial socket, this was a biggy as cuts down on cable clutter.

The Cello was fine, picture/sound ok, remote and menu good, power cable socket a bit wobbly, but everything worked well.

Thinking about it now if the functionality was the same I would just go for the cheaper one.

4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Wot he said! We do have a Cello, but more due to dimensions rather than anything else. Most LCD/LED TV's actually run 12V and are supplied with a transformer to step down from 240v to 12v. All you need to do is get the telly, and then buy a cheap balanced 12v supply plug from ebay (about £5) and you are good to go! :D

The things we like about our Cello is the ability to plug in an external hard drive to enable full PVR functionality. Also, we have many DVD's ripped onto the same hard drive, so we don't need to carry so many DVD's in the van!

5. busby

busby Funster

I bought the cheapest T.V/dvd player Argos had for sale 4 years ago. Its been brilliant all over Europe and still going strong. BUSBY...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ranger

Ranger Funster

We have the 19in Cello and the picture is very good but the sound is rubbish. We use a cheap sound bar which transforms it. We have no experience of the Avtex but it does seem expensive for what it is.

7. Neckender

Neckender Funster

We have the 21inch Cello as above good picture reasonable sound quality.

John.

8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Have to agree, sound quality not the best on the Cello, in fact one of my jobs is to run the sound output to the head unit to put the TV sound out through the van speakers.
    We bought our TV from a guy on ebay who sells off bankrupt stock, got a terrific bargain on it, can't remember the price, but it was less than half retail! Only thing was, he stated in the listing he couldn't guarantee brand, I was dead chuffed when I got a Cello! :D

9. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

We have a 24inch Avtex

Great tv but pricey

In hindsight we rarely watch tv when away in the van so perhaps a cheaper option such as a Cello would of been a better choice though

10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We have a Cello 19" Traveller, picture is good, sound like all small TV's poor, doesn't bother us as we run the sound via the vans head unit. Only annoying thing is the sat tuner is only capable of storing one set of satellite channels so when you change satellites you have to retune and it takes about 20 minutes and you loose any favourites.

11. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Please think before buying - we recently was in the same dilemma, our avtex tv/dvd had bit the dust and did not want to pay nearly £400 for an avtex so was looking at all the different options, there are not many available with 12/240v option, and cello did seem to be good, we spent £170 for a 20" tv/dvd cello/goodmans (apparently they are the same apart from the name on the front) what a waste of money it turned out to be, the picture quality was good only if you were sitting directly in front of the screen, any other angle and there were dark shadows and patches on the screen - the seller said this is normal and to not have this the only option was to pay alot more money for a avtex tv (his words not mine) so in the end i returned it for a full refund which he did not quibble over - i then purchased an avtex from John Lewis £370 - my what a difference !

• Like Like x 2
  12. clanjones

clanjones Funster

I have the new Cello 19" Traveller II and pretty pleased with it. Have to agree that the sound is poor but I just stream it through a bluetooth speaker which makes a huge difference and is very easy to set up. Recording works well I but I haven't quite cracked the Ezcast functionality but you can always use an HDMI cable if that is essential. I am sure it will work, I just need some more play time with it!
    I didn't want to pay £350.oo plus for a TV so this seems to fit the bill. Screen seems fine to me as it is LED and has a good viewing angle as far as I can tell. The remote can be a little slow sometime but all in all quite happy with it.

13. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Look at the Enox too, same TV, different badge.

14. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

I think Avtex are good but way overpriced.I have an Avtex as the main TV in the van and a cheap one for the overcab.The Avtex takes over 5 minutes to tune in and the cheapo less than a minute.True,the Avtex picture is a bit better but at £200 more it should be.No more Avtex for me.

15. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

We've had a 19" Cello tv for 3 years or so. Very happy with the picture, sound seems okay to me. We only use it in the van and it works fine on 240v or 12v.

Cello claim their tv's are British made too which makes a nice change!

Paul

16. themogs

themogs Funster

We've had both, but had to return the Cello because of the sound quality..poor !!(n)(n)
    The Avtex IS way overpriced, but the quality is superb.(y)

17. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

In the lounge area a 37" LG. Great picture, loads of sound. Been fitted to the wall for just over 5 years now and done many miles. It has been, still is, great.

In the bedroom area a 24" LG. Great picture, loads of sound. This was a replacement for a Sony, which had poor software and popped off after just a couple of years. This LG has been going now for three years.

So I vote LG. (y) :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We have had three Avtex units.. ALL failed just outside warranty .. Every time the bill was a lot of money ( I really cannot remember but over £150 )
    The last occasion I told them to keep the bloody thing.
    Bought a 22" Cello .. That was about 4 years ago and it is still working just fine

@SuperMike , can you give the model numbers of those you have please.
    I like LG stuff but have never found any that are not mains only

19. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Does anyone rate the Vision Plus Range? Seems to be in the middle price range and has all the fetures of the Avtex. It will be the TV fitted to my unit, but if it is really pants, I will ask for it to be replaced. 3 1/2 weeks to go:clap:

20. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

LG's are very good, but no 12v as far as I'm aware, my little job in Bournemouth that I finished last night was installing 24 x LG 43" LED Signage monitors, very impressed with them.

• Like Like x 1