Ceiling weight and/or distribution strategy?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jeroen van den Oever, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Jeroen van den Oever

Jeroen van den Oever Read Only Funster

Hi all,

I am putting a project together to get a much bigger view screen for us and the four kids in our motorhome. I am thinking about either a short-throw projector and small (140cm width) drop down screen or a 48-55" LED LCD TV. I am not looking for advice in the electronics department - bit of an expert there already!

I am looking for advice in terms of weight limits and mounting strategies. The TV would weigh 20kg, or if I went down the projector route, it would be about the same. A drop-down screen perhaps a little less (10kg).

What is the best way to mount that on the ceiling? Should I put a "skin" of thin wood screwed in at multiple places then mount the equipment onto that? Or are there mount points (like joists in a house) that I have to affix to?

It's the weight I'm predominantly worried about.

Advice/tips/ideas?

2. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Just a thought.......why not simply fix the projector unit into an overhead locker, (open the locker when you want to use it) and have the image projected onto the inside of the window blind opposite? Keeps the projecter out of sight, no mounting issues, and no need for a separate screen! (assuming you have window blinds that are suitable that is!). That way - minimal weight.

3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

My sons projector is pretty compact not sure what it is as we are in Italy. Surely preferable not fix it inside as then have the option of using it outside and everyone on site can watch:)

As for diy drilling of camper roof check your warrenty:(

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

There wont be any reinforced parts or joist, the inside skin of the roof will be a compressed board type decorative material and will not be designed for any structural hanging. I would be a bit worried about doing this and having it come crashing down. Also I would be thinking ultimately about the resale value of the van with holes in and things screwed to the ceiling.

If you really want to do it it might be worth getting in touch with Dethleffs.

Martin

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

If you fix stuff to the ceiling and fill it full of holes how will you remedy that at selling time?
    The inner skin is only thin ply 4 mm at best bonded to a dense foam

6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Toooooooooooooooo risky by far IMO.:eek:

7. Jeroen van den Oever

Jeroen van den Oever Read Only Funster

Ok sounds like a resounding "don't do", thanks all, I'll find an alternative.