Ceiling flexing/broken spar? Advice needed.. (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I have a 2005 CI Carioca 656. As I stand at the back of the van looking forwards I have 2 crosswise bunk beds behind me, the toilet/shower is on my right and the kitchen units are on my left with lockers overhead. Where the toilet/shower unit wall ends, above the gangway, the ceiling is causing me some concern. If I push up on the ceiling panels there is a fair bit of give. The mobile fitter who does our hab checks and other work reckons the horizontal roof spar may have snapped. We have a Maxview Crank Up satellite dish fitted close to this point, adding extra weight on the roof. There has always been a slight dip in the roof where rainwater collects, but surely the ceiling shouldn't move that much?

Anyway, my query is this (and I'd particularly welcome the views of those in the servicing/repair business) - if the spar needs fixing, is it best approached from below or above, and roughly what are we looking at in terms of cost (to the nearest £100)?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Aproach from below, cost depends on what is found, broken spar could be easily strenghtened by splicing a new piece alongside the break I would imagine

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi MSB if I was doing it I would definitely attack it from inside ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: You can easily replace the ceiling board's if needed for around £100 but hopefully you may get away with none :thumb:Reinforce/splice a new spar along side the existing one either screwed or bolted through.Then replace ceiling board's :thumb:No idea how much a co would charge but it is quite a simple DIY if you are handy
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
::bigsmile:snap Peter :thumb: you posted while I was typing and cookin breakfast ::bigsmile:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back