CCleaner (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I am no PC expert but have used CC for many yrars, it is simple and does what it says. It also has sections that allow you to delete programmes and set what programmes are to run when you start the PC.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Yep . . . we have the professional version installed & when used in conjunction with regular restarts & disk cleaning, defragging & shadow removal, seems to keep our laptops running well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Yep like everyone else used it for years but you may find that some web site (including) banks will fail to recognize your PC if you remove cookies - It is not a problem you just get sent a one time code to let the web site know that it is your PC.

I only say this in case you wonder what the heck is going on!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I use it every time I shut the computer down. Minimum of once a day.

Yep like everyone else used it for years but you may find that some web site (including) banks will fail to recognize your PC if you remove cookies - It is not a problem you just get sent a one time code to let the web site know that it is your PC.

always use the cleaner afterusing any of my bank sites.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Under Options/Cookies you can opt to keep certain cookies so that CCleaner doesn't remove them.

I use CCleaner every few days but tend to not need anything else regularly because I'm careful to try to avoid downloading rubbish.
I use Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and AdwCleaner now and again, just when I have time.

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Use: CCleaner (free), Malwarebytes (free), Advanced System Care (paid) and Firefox browser that wipes all cookies when I shut it down.

Yes I have to log into all sites that want to leave cookies but that is not a problem for me.

Apr 23, 2014
Naarfook
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
5 years
Be careful,I used it yesterday on my laptop running Windows 10 upshot was I had to reinstall windows afterwards !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be careful,I used it yesterday on my laptop running Windows 10 upshot was I had to reinstall windows afterwards !
CCleaner shouldn't cause that ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and then do a disc defrag, sometimes it pays to run them a couple of times to make sure nothing's been missed if you haven't done it before/for a long time.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
He has Windows 7 and a Dell Inspiron 1524, 2 Gig memory, I have stripped everything off thats not required, run CC and found loads of issues with the registry, all now fixed, run Malware Bytes, found some issues, all removed.. Its still running slow, Task Manager CPU 100% memory fully used..

I am tempted to reinstall Windows... He only uses it for his snaps and surfing... Dont unserstand the high CPU use.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
found loads of issues with the registry
Dont unserstand the high CPU use.
The second will probably be caused by the first, especially if the surfing involves visiting sites that download cr*p by stealth. For instance, one can hardly visit a newspaper site these days without being invited to look at photos of how actors from years ago that one has never heard of have changed. Following such links (which appear perfectly innocent) can lead to download of cr*p.

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
Two programmes I always install to keep PCs running faster are:-
1. Ccleaner
2. Auslogics Disk Defrag
They work and are free.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
He has Windows 7 and a Dell Inspiron 1524, 2 Gig memory, I have stripped everything off thats not required, run CC and found loads of issues with the registry, all now fixed, run Malware Bytes, found some issues, all removed.. Its still running slow, Task Manager CPU 100% memory fully used..

I am tempted to reinstall Windows... He only uses it for his snaps and surfing... Dont unserstand the high CPU use.
What's the harddrive doing?
With 2gig I'd imagine the virtual memory would be getting used a lot, and with a slow drive, or even one that's starting to have problems that would make things slow right down, full memory and high cpu tends to indicate a lot of memory swapping going on.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@ShiftZZ - is the PC running an internet security package such as AVG or McAfee? I mean the full paid for version as opposed to the free bits. I find that these packages are an enormous drain on PC resources and if the PC isn't one of the latest, fastest ones then it will run very slowly.
Note that I am not advocating not having any security - just make sure the level of security is sufficient and not OTT.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
@ShiftZZ - is the PC running an internet security package such as AVG or McAfee? I mean the full paid for version as opposed to the free bits. I find that these packages are an enormous drain on PC resources and if the PC isn't one of the latest, fastest ones then it will run very slowly.
Note that I am not advocating not having any security - just make sure the level of security is sufficient and not OTT.

No all he has is Malware Bytes free version and Security essentials

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
What's the harddrive doing?
With 2gig I'd imagine the virtual memory would be getting used a lot, and with a slow drive, or even one that's starting to have problems that would make things slow right down, full memory and high cpu tends to indicate a lot of memory swapping going on.

Loads of spare room on his hard drive, may try and load 4gb memory... Trip to PC world

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@ShiftZZ ... IMV if it's just started to run slow it could be that something is running in the background - if you go to task manager and check what applications and processes are actually running can you see anything that's gobbling it up?

You can of course increase the RAM memory (assuming it has the capability to take more) but you really need to get to the bottom of WHY it's now started to play up - he hasn't just put Windows 7 on has he?

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@ShiftZZ ... I've PM'd you ...

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
@ShiftZZ ... IMV if it's just started to run slow it could be that something is running in the background - if you go to task manager and check what applications and processes are actually running can you see anything that's gobbling it up?

You can of course increase the RAM memory (assuming it has the capability to take more) but you really need to get to the bottom of WHY it's now started to play up - he hasn't just put Windows 7 on has he?
He gets into a mess, askes people to help who download some strange software. He then denies it. He also switches things off 1/2 way through updates and will click yes to anything. Plus his eyesight is bad.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
He gets into a mess, asles people to help who download some strange software. He then denies it. He also switches things off 1/2 way through updates and will click yes to anything. Plus his eyesight is bad.
... is that all .... :LOL:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Loads of spare room on his hard drive, may try and load 4gb memory... Trip to PC world
Definatley a good plan!!

Ref the harddrive, space wasn't what I was looking at. if the harddrive is constantly in use then there is a lot of reading and writing going on from somewhere, and as the physical memory was fully utilised windows will fall back on virtual memory which it uses the harddrive for, and to do that it uses a lot of cpu.

Given the specs of the laptop, the extra memory will certainly help, you may also want to consider an ssd drive as a replacement for the harddrive. these give a massive boost on systems with limited memory

On thing you could try is turning off any animations etc that win7 uses, these need graphics memory...and on your dad's Laptop that comes from shared memory which is nicked from the 2gb

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back