CCC Sites 2014 - fickle pricing (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Received an e-mail from the Camping & Caravanning Club today - extract below:

We are no longer publishing fixed prices in Your Place in the Country. Instead, we are including a guide that lists 'from' and 'to' prices for each season, with Club Sites grouped into price bands to make comparison easier.

The 'from' price is the base price that all bookings will start on and, if demand follows normal patterns, that is where it will stay. If demand changes for whatever reason - weather, events, or a big competitive deal - the price may change - down or up.

Being someone who works to a budget, I'm not keen on this at all. Does it mean that if I've booked a site for one price per night, I might well end up having to pay more when I turn up? What if I decline to do so - do I lose my deposit and have to head off into the sunset looking for an alternative? :Sad:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Anyone booking will need to read the terms and conditions carefully.

I would hate to pay for a holiday in full at £100 and then being asked to pay an extra £100 because they decided to put the prices up at the last minute.

I wonder if you pay the highest price if they will give you a refund if they lower the price for others?

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It looks a bit sneaky to me. I would think that if you book at a certain price then that is what you will pay.

If not they will lose a lot of members - me included.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On the web site Link Removed it says "Members can use these as a guide and they will then see the definitive price for their holiday when they go through the improved booking process, either online – where they will be guaranteed the best prices – or by calling the Club’s Contact Centre."

The way I read that is that the price you agree when you book is the price you pay. You won't pay more if it goes up in the meantime but you won't pay less if it goes down.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In the past on here I have been very critical of ccc and threatened to cancel but must say we went to the lakes after Blackpool this last weekend and stayed at the Windermere club site on Monday night, just stopped on spec and was very pleasentlly surprised, we drew in and was charged £11.50 and we were shown where to go and left to park up on our own , no corner to the peg or facing in or out , please yourself, very pleasent staff and very satisfied::bigsmile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
The way I read that is that the price you agree when you book is the price you pay. You won't pay more if it goes up in the meantime but you won't pay less if it goes down.

That's how I read it. It's all smoke and mirrors though:

1) They mention in the email about all the sites that will be cheaper for an adult compared with 2013, but that only applies when the new pricing is at the bottom of the band.

2) Currently hard-standing + EHU, grass + EHU or just hard-standing costs £3.80. Next year grass + EHU appears to be £3.85 but any hard-standing is £4.85 according to the PDF I downloaded.

3) Price reductions are now for 60+ instead of 55+, but current members 55-59 can get their cards stamped and keep the reduction (not sure for how long).

4) Children now cost 50% adult fees, which appears to be more, but family prices are supposed to be lower.

5) They've added a "shoulder" (?) price band, between middle and high. If I read it correctly, it appears to replace some of the old middle price band and none of the higher.

So, until we see what the special deals are that the sites will be offering throughout the year, I'm going to be cynical and say "stealth price rises".

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
CCC prices

I guess we will vote with our feet if this move turns out to be poor value for money, and if that is the case and enough members leave, maybe market forces will influence things. But......for the past year or so, membership numbers and users of club sites have been on the up, so what else should one expect from any profit making organisation?:Eeek:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Heads the 'club' wins tails you lose!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've been members of the C&CC for a couple of years and have enjoyed a number of Meets and THSs at very good prices and with very friendly people. We've also used one or two CSs.

We've never used main sites so I suppose not fully qualified to comment on prices. However, as a general observation, any business has to do the best it can (in the judgement of the managers) to further the interests of the owners (= members) as a whole.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
It'll be interesting to see their financial results for 2013.

2012 was, by their own admission, terrible thanks to the weather. The Camping In The Forest sites they took over a few years ago have never made a profit, and they raised the prices for those at the start of this year to such a degree that I stopped using them (they're even more solo-camper-unfriendly now :Angry:).

The problem is, I can't throw a tantrum and go over to the CC, because when I tried to join them a few years ago they wouldn't have me! :Blush:

I'm glad I got that extra battery and don't need EHU as much. Now I need to come up with a solution that means I don't need their hard-standing in the winter...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we have a one price policy, no extras for dogs, awnings, towcar no extras for time of year or school holidays one price fits all.
£60 a day all in, less funsters discount comes out at £7:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Now I need to come up with a solution that means I don't need their hard-standing in the winter...

Of course! From the Heritage Motor Museum... :thumb:

Attachments

• STA72672 (800x768).jpg
    STA72672 (800x768).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 25

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
ccc

In the past on here I have been very critical of ccc and threatened to cancel but must say we went to the lakes after Blackpool this last weekend and stayed at the Windermere club site on Monday night, just stopped on spec and was very pleasentlly surprised, we drew in and was charged £11.50 and we were shown where to go and left to park up on our own , no corner to the peg or facing in or out , please yourself, very pleasent staff and very satisfied::bigsmile:
I have to be in this club for the simple reason its run with the R A C and I cant get membership with R A C unless I am a member of ccc the R A C say my van is too long for their trucks and have to be towed by a large trucks that would hold a big caravan.my motorhome is 22 foot long.but its unlimited call outs make it well worth while.AA is far more expensive and have limited call outs of 5 over 5 then its £95 a time steve

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Guess there's nothing to stop me monitoring prices up to 7 days before arrival date - then cancelling, reclaiming deposit and re-booking at the lower rate .......... :winky:

Edit: Oh apparently there is - as cancellation now has to be 30 days notice not 7.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Always been to expensive C C. Changed membership to C & C Club this year. Much friendlier campers and discount for us old uns. BUSBY::bigsmile:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

1) They mention in the email about all the sites that will be cheaper for an adult compared with 2013, but that only applies when the new pricing is at the bottom of the band.

2) Currently hard-standing + EHU, grass + EHU or just hard-standing costs £3.80. Next year grass + EHU appears to be £3.85 but [HI]any hard-standing is £4.85[/HI] according to the PDF I downloaded.

3) Price reductions are now for[HI] 60+[/HI] instead of 55+, but current members 55-59 can get their cards stamped and keep the reduction (not sure for how long).

4) Children now cost 50% adult fees, which appears to be more, but family prices are supposed to be lower.

5) They've added a "shoulder" (?) price band, between middle and high. If I read it correctly, it appears to replace some of the old middle price band and none of the higher.

So, until we see what the special deals are that the sites will be offering throughout the year, I'm going to be cynical and say "stealth price rises".

Getting progressively more p*ssed off with these changes. :Angry:

In summer I can usually get away with being on grass but not in late autumn/winter. :Angry:

As the 55+ concession looms on my horizon they move the goal posts! :Angry:

Can't see me using CCC sites much next year. With midweek discount the CC sites are much better value - unless they also have 'beneficial' changes to counter-attack with. :RollEyes:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
I have to be in this club for the simple reason its run with the R A C and I cant get membership with R A C unless I am a member of ccc the R A C say my van is too long for their trucks and have to be towed by a large trucks that would hold a big caravan.my motorhome is 22 foot long.but its unlimited call outs make it well worth while.AA is far more expensive and have limited call outs of 5 over 5 then its £95 a time steve

You could join ADAC for about €120.00...............they use the AA in UK and ADAC terms apply.............could be a saver.

www.adac.de

The terms and conditions are in our downloads section, translated to English.:thumb:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006

2) Currently hard-standing + EHU, grass + EHU or just hard-standing costs £3.80. Next year grass + EHU appears to be £3.85 but any hard-standing is £4.85 according to the PDF I downloaded.

3) Price reductions are now for 60+ instead of 55+, but current members 55-59 can get their cards stamped and keep the reduction (not sure for how long).

So, until we see what the special deals are that the sites will be offering throughout the year, I'm going to be cynical and say "stealth price rises".[/QUO

Checked on ccc about age concession we have till next year to get our membership stamped.
Broken Link Removed

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Interestingly, I see the C&CC age concession reduction will be 'up to 25%' in 2014, whereas in 2013 it has been 'up to 30%'!

So not only is the concession age being increased from 55 to 60, but the size of reduction will be reduced by 5%. :Angry:

And, as has already been mentioned 'hardstanding' will increase in price by £1.05 next year. Like others, we're happy to be on grass when it's feasible - but obvioously at this time of year, through the winter (those sites that remain open) and early season, it's frequently not possible - and in any case the sites won't allow it. :Angry:

All in all, at this stage having had a quich look through the proposed pricing arrangements for 2014, I think many of us will be facing significant overall increases.

And I have extremely mixed feelings about the 'flexible pricing concept' - think Ryanair - prices up and down, never quite sure where you are, with the organisation always having the upper hand.

I know that all sounds a bit negative, but currently feeling slightly depressed. Have always been an enthusiast for the club up to now. Going to the trouble of producing 5 videos featuring the DG explaining the rationale, just makes me even more uneasy. Sign of the times I guess, but it doesn't feel quite so 'friendly', as they'd like you to think. :Angry:

Rant over...

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008

My AA membership costs £80 as an add-on to my Safeguard insurance and covers European travel too - worth every penny! Why insist on the RAC? Are you likely to have more than 5 call outs a year Steve?

Catherine

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Interestingly, I see the C&CC age concession reduction will be 'up to 25%' in 2014, whereas in 2013 it has been 'up to 30%'!

So not only is the concession age being increased from 55 to 60, but the size of reduction will be reduced by 5%. :Angry:

And, as has already been mentioned 'hardstanding' will increase in price by £1.05 next year. Like others, we're happy to be on grass when it's feasible - but obvioously at this time of year, through the winter (those sites that remain open) and early season, it's frequently not possible - and in any case the sites won't allow it. :Angry:

All in all, at this stage having had a quich look through the proposed pricing arrangements for 2014, I think many of us will be facing significant overall increases.

And I have extremely mixed feelings about the 'flexible pricing concept' - think Ryanair - prices up and down, never quite sure where you are, with the organisation always having the upper hand.

I know that all sounds a bit negative, but currently feeling slightly depressed. Have always been an enthusiast for the club up to now. Going to the trouble of producing 5 videos featuring the DG explaining the rationale, just makes me even more uneasy. Sign of the times I guess, but it doesn't feel quite so 'friendly', as they'd like you to think. :Angry:

Rant over...

Not negative or a rant, fair comment from a club member. I don't remember seeing these changes being put forward for discussion by the members, perhaps they hope the majority won't notice or forget them quickly. I saw the post elsewhere about always using snow chains on the grass pitches to save money against the hardstanding pitches...that's negative.
I have some comments to make to the caravan club people at the nec, looks like I have something to say to the 'Friendly Club'.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Like Niel I am blackballed from the CC. For which I will be ( probably ) eternally grateful !

Darrell ( #1 son ) is a member of CC and bitches EVERY time he has used one of their sites.. Exorbitant costs, and wardens more like commandants !!!

On the flip side we joined the CCC a couple of years ago and have had nothing but surprises ( pleasant ones ) with pricing and have yet to meet a grumpy or officious warden

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Getting progressively more p*ssed off with these changes. :Angry:

In summer I can usually get away with being on grass but not in late autumn/winter. :Angry:

As the 55+ concession looms on my horizon they move the goal posts! :Angry:

Can't see me using CCC sites much next year. With midweek discount the CC sites are much better value - unless they also have 'beneficial' changes to counter-attack with. :RollEyes:

My suggestion would be for you to write to C & CC with your concerns and ask for clarification.

See what the reply is ::bigsmile:

Here is the price guide for 2014 (PDF)

Link Removed

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Quinta Majay fees, for those who wish to drive down a short forest track, are as follows.

Motorhome. €0.

Person. €0.

Toad. €0.

Awning. €0.

Trailer. €0.

Non sheep chasing, non barking dogs €0.

If you need fees converted into sterling use Google.

No political discussions allowed.

Funster gossip welcome.

Every evening we put down our beers, face towards West Wales and bow to our Blessed Leader, may his name be forever praised.

JJ

Site Supervisor.

Last edited:

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
AA

My AA membership costs £80 as an add-on to my Safeguard insurance and covers European travel too - worth every penny! Why insist on the RAC? Are you likely to have more than 5 call outs a year Steve?

Catherine
hi cath I was qoted by AA ot over £200 the rac £169 with the AA I could have 5 callouts over that and it would have been £95 a call.with RAC unlimited call outs. so you can see why I chose RAC.no I don't expect to breakdown at all as I keep my van in excellent condition but I do like to be safeguarded you never know.incidently why do you only pay £80 I cant understand that regards steve

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
hi cath I was qoted by AA ot over £200 the rac £169 with the AA I could have 5 callouts over that and it would have been £95 a call.with RAC unlimited call outs. so you can see why I chose RAC.no I don't expect to breakdown at all as I keep my van in excellent condition but I do like to be safeguarded you never know.incidently why do you only pay £80 I cant understand that regards steve

It's an optional extra with Safeguard insurance, glad I took it too as they repatriated the van from France after the flywheel went, gave us a hire car, paid hotel expenses, even gave us a new UK car at Calais (with 17 miles on the clock) to transfer our stuff and drive home. All in all we had the best part of £2k in expenses I reckon. A great deal from Safeguard Insurance :thumb:.

I wasn't aware of any limit on callouts but will check it out.

Catherine

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You could join ADAC for about €120.00...............they use the AA in UK and ADAC terms apply.............could be a saver.

www.adac.de

The terms and conditions are in our downloads section, translated to English.:thumb:

YOU CAN JOIN ADAC FOR LESS THAN £80. BUSBY::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I am not sure what is up with CCC nowadays - I think they are trying to change from 'the friendly club' to a less than friendly club. That said, there are more CLs around with them than others.

I know a woman who has a CCC site, and every time they inspect they really hassle her to put her prices up from her £8-10 a night to £25 a night. They do so every year, and the last time she was near to tears after they had left as she felt under so much pressure. Last I heard she was considering closing the site due to this 'bullying' as she calls it. That will be another good value site gone. I don't know what has got into them, but they are at risk of losing their USP.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I am not sure what is up with CCC nowadays - I think they are trying to change from 'the friendly club' to a less than friendly club. That said, there are more CLs around with them than others.

I know a woman who has a CCC site, and every time they inspect they really hassle her to put her prices up from her £8-10 a night to £25 a night. They do so every year, and the last time she was near to tears after they had left as she felt under so much pressure. Last I heard she was considering closing the site due to this 'bullying' as she calls it. That will be another good value site gone. I don't know what has got into them, but they are at risk of losing their USP.

But I don't get that...surely if the site is hers then she could just opt out of being CCC and continue?....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back