CC Jobsworth Wardens (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just returned from a few days in Thirsk at one of The Caravan Clubs more primitive sites.
Met friends on site who needed electric to charge various disabled aids but the hook up was off. I found a source but to reach it required joining two cables, which in the past hasnt been a problem. I would normally call on the Warden but they were off duty from 1pm until 4.30pm and after disturbing a warden last year i vowed never to have that grief again.
Later that evening the warden slated me for breaching rules by joining cables, so I apologised and words were exchanged. The next day a caravan joined his cables and I reported this to the warden and after two days the caravan wasnt approached.
I am fully aware the Caravan Club prefers Caravans but to tick me off (motorhome) and allow (caravan) another member off is more convincing of the discrimination we appear to be suffering from this body.

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
I'm suprised you got onto site in the first place. Whenever I try to go to a CC site they are fully booked. Easter weekend and their Sandringham site was "fully booked" but when I walked through on the Saturday I counted at least 8 vacant pitches :Eeek:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I'm suprised you got onto site in the first place. Whenever I try to go to a CC site they are fully booked. Easter weekend and their Sandringham site was "fully booked" but when I walked through on the Saturday I counted at least 8 vacant pitches :Eeek:
I am really getting sad but I now find that whenever I am on a C.C. site I check the availability online and on the last dog walk of the day I amble round the site - as yet NEVER has the site been full when online says so.
Members are loosing out on pitches and the club (members) revenue.
The old issue raises its head again, what to do about no shows?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sorry Wiljoy,
Went a bit off kilter on my reply, find most wardens ok! once the ice is broken.
As I once said in a previous post I believe that the frostiness that you often find is a defence mechanism - always be ready for the next moaning *** to walk through the door.

first5

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Funster No
Exp
I am on this site now with my motorhome and have been since wednesday. I agree that it is not a 'super' site but neither are the prices. I can't see why you could not have moved to another pitch as there seemed to be plenty available. As to the wardens, they are amongst the most pleasant, accomodating wardens that I have come accross. You fail to mention that the wardens are on duty from 9am to 1pm and again from 4.30pm to 8.30pm. Quite a long working day to me. As to discrimination towards motorhomers you will probably find that they are motorhomers themselves. They might be jobsworths to you but they are only enforcing very sensible CC club safety rules.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Out of interest, can anyone point to the CC rule that prohibits joining two EHU cables together ?

It's not on their Link Removed rules..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
when you attach your cable to the electrical hook-up you place cables as close to the edge of the site as possible keeping to a minimum the amount of cable trailing over ground by placing excess cable under your caravan. Do not coil excess cable as this may cause overheating

Plural
In English, the plural is usually formed with the addition of -s (e.g. one cat, two cats; one chair, two chairs):thumb:
Ergo You can use two Cables

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Why not move pitch - possibly because the owners were disabled - at any rate it's a lot simpler to not move and just add on a cable, isn't it? I think so, esp if you've had to level up and are satisfied with how level you actually are LOL

wildbri

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
Funster No
I visited a CC site in wales, I set up in a very nice sunny spot but then found that the electric point was to far away for my standard cable, so I looked over my shoulder and as no one was looking I added my second cable (which I use alot in france) and hide the connection in a bush.... When i went to the reception to tell them my pitch number the warden said " I will lend you an extention as that pitch is far from the post". I have always found wardens friendly and helpful as I srive to be. regards bri :Cool:

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Response

Thanks for your comments.
I feel that I must answer to some comments.
We had to park at the end of the site as my van is over 4 ton and the grass was very wet.

On Easter Monday they had over 12 empty pitches and it was Thursday before it started to fill. We as members are now being pushed asside in favour of the higher fee non-members.
Over the last few weeks I have been trying to book Moreton on the internet for New Year but always full. Last week while trying again I rang them as I looked at the full sign on my computer only to be told there was plenty of space. What is going on with the Caravan Club of old??
I appreciate the Wardens have a tough job and the Thirsk couple were very obliging but why allow a Caravan to join cables and treat me as a criminal?? Our situation couldnt wait until they came back on duty and come on, we are responsible adults. If Health & Safety is an issue then let the club look at the mass of electric cable hanging out of boxes as you walk to reception. I know it is rented by the club but any child could dib a hand in to these wires.
Wiljoy

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
So - did you actually book for New Year on the phone, and is anyone looking into why the puter booking system was showing the wrong thing?

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
With regards to connecting cables, the current CC Sites Directory and Handbook states on page 632 "The use of cables less than 25m long is not recommended, nor is the use of two or more lengths joined together since the connections used are not necessarily sufficiently waterproof to be left lying on wet ground"

I guess the wardens are just doing their jobs and trying to consider the safety of everyone on site. Personally, we have always found wardens to be very helpful, both with our motorhome and our previous unit - a folding camper.

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
Just returned from a few days in Thirsk at one of The Caravan Clubs more primitive sites.
Met friends on site who needed electric to charge various disabled aids but the hook up was off. I found a source but to reach it required joining two cables, which in the past hasnt been a problem. I would normally call on the Warden but they were off duty from 1pm until 4.30pm and after disturbing a warden last year i vowed never to have that grief again.
Later that evening the warden slated me for breaching rules by joining cables, so I apologised and words were exchanged. The next day a caravan joined his cables and I reported this to the warden and after two days the caravan wasnt approached.
I am fully aware the Caravan Club prefers Caravans but to tick me off (motorhome) and allow (caravan) another member off is more convincing of the discrimination we appear to be suffering from this body.

wiljoy, I'm a little confused after re-reading your post - why did the warden tell you off, if it wasn't your unit that was using joined cables?

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
" wardens are on duty from 9am to 1pm and again from 4.30pm to 8.30pm. Quite a long working day to me" . Only 8 hours a day wow before I retired over 3 years ago in the 44 years I worked I never ever did an 8 hour day on one job if you had not got 40 hours in by 2pm on a Wednesday you were having a bad week and the week ended at 1pm on Saturdays 85 / 90 hours a week were normal , some people never know when they are well off :cry:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
No comment Rover - just bear in mind that 12 years ago I was absolutely utterly appalled when my official working week increased from 35hrs to 37.5hrs. Never worked any more than 35 (officially!!) between leaving school in 1966 and 1998.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
name & shame

Hi can you name & shame them then all us funsters can give them a wide birth Happy Travels Rod:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Assuming the cable4s do not present a trip hazard would he accept something like this?

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
would he accept something like this?

Link Removed

He may ..

It has IP 44 rating , in plain english, protection from splashed water.. the same as a standard 16A plug and socket.

Problem with these, if water does ingress then it builds up until it floods the plug and socket .. :Doh:

If using an IP44 coupler then it would be better off the ground on a post, and protected using a strong plastic bag.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back