sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have now had time to experience the tank probes that feed tank data to the CBE panel. They are inaccurate so for example the fresh water read 100% when in reality it is 75%. The black tank is crude at 3 options, 0%, 30% 70% Full! On my RV I had tank senders on the outside of the tank and they gave 5% steps. I was wondering if anyone had fitted alternatives other than CBE senders?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
You can get tank gauges from boat chandlers which drive standard 2 inch automotive gauges which give continuous readings from empty to full.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The 'sensor' comprises 5 stainless rods. The longest is the common and should be slightly longer than the rest. The remaining 4 in order of longest to shortest are 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full. The lights or (pointer on the meter) are lit/moved when the water or waste bridges each of the sensing rods to the common rod. I have made mine as accurate as possible by cutting or extending the sensor rods. In the case of the fault mentioned by the OP shortening the shortest rod so that water doesn't reach it until the tank is almost full will solve the problem. Cutting the rods is easy but extending any that are too short is more complicated - the stainless extension needs to be welded to the existing rod. I did this by having any short rods extended more than necessary & trimming them once I'd done so. Stainless welding rod works as the extension and any welding shop will have both material and skills to do the job (which takes around 10 minutes).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks Tony I will have a look inside the tank. What are the chances of a sensor that fixes to the outside being compatible?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not very likely unfortunately. The water effectively connects the sensor rods in order to the common (longest) rod. Physically connecting them has the same effect so any alternative sensor would need to do the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back