CBE CSB-2 split charger-Do leisure and starter Battery types need to be the same? (1 Viewer)

Plinky

Free Member
Dec 21, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia James Cook 2004
Exp
Hi,

I'm wanting to fit a CBE CSB-2 split charger-

I was wondering if the Battery type of both starter and leisure battery need to be the same?

I have to select 'Gel' on my mppt controller for my leisure battery's (25a MPPSolar PCM 3012), but I'm assuming that since the charge to the starter battery is coming from the leisure battery itself and not through the solar system, it is unimportant?

Thanks

Last edited:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The device should work with the combination of Gel leisure battery and lead acid starter battery. The following description of operation is copied from the manufacturers leaflet:

When the leisure battery voltage exceeds 13.6 V (with battery charger and solar panels) the device allows to recharge the car battery (through the leisure battery).
Charging current is set from 0.1 to max 4 A, according to the battery conditions.
When the leisure battery voltage is lower than 12.5 V the car battery recharging system is deactivated.
When the green led is on, the device CSB-2 is ready recharge the car battery, if necessary.

OP
OP
P

Plinky

Free Member
Dec 21, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Chris, thats how I am interpreting it too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Plinky

Free Member
Dec 21, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Perfect, thanks Andy.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Battery types do not need to be the same (you wouldn’t have Gel for a starter anyway) as the charge is only a trickle. Under normal circumstances your alternator should take care of the engine battery’s requirements. I think these split chargers were designed to look after an engine battery during a long period of absence, to prevent it being drawn down by alarm/tracking systems that may be present. The CBE unit will rely on EHU or Solar charging, whereas others may take it from the habitation bank if it remains healthy enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back