Cb radios (1 Viewer)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Has any one any experance of fitting 2 way radios to motorhomes such as cb radios is there already some standard we are using some of you guys must have traveled in Groups for example our morocco friends
Or do you know some thing better than cb,s if I remember when it was popular it was rubbish anyway

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Motorhome are a little difficult as not having much in the way of steel bodies for the aerial attachment and little "groundplane". Solutions are available but I wont go into depth here.
It has been tried several times in forums to establish a dedicated CB channel to use but never took off. Some people do se them but very few that i have come across.

Most people buy the 446 radios that you can get almost everywhere. Argos, Maplins, ebay etc.. No license and enough range for when you are travelling together... This is what we used in Morocco.

For a bigger range you could get CB radio handhelds, they are a lot neater then the old bulky ones of years ago...:thumb:

My mates CB place

www.thunderpole.co.uk

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Motorhome are a little difficult as not having much in the way of steel bodies for the aerial attachment and little "groundplane". Solutions are available but I wont go into depth here.
It has been tried several times in forums to establish a dedicated CB channel to use but never took off. Some people do se them but very few that i have come across.

Most people buy the 446 radios that you can get almost everywhere. Argos, Maplins, ebay etc.. No license and enough range for when you are travelling together...[HI] This is what we used in Morocco.[/HI]

For a bigger range you could get CB radio handhelds, they are a lot neater then the old bulky ones of years ago...:thumb:

My mates CB place

www.thunderpole.co.uk

Can be useful, but be aware that CB radios are illegal in Morocco.. and a few other African countries, so keep them well hidden when crossing the border.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sahara-travel-forum/cb-radio-in-morocco-22573

also.. and this is from Wiki
Using radios outside their intended market can be dangerous, as well as illegal as frequencies used by Citizen's Band radios from other countries may operate on frequencies close to, or used by, emergency services (For example, the Indonesian service around 142 MHz operates on frequencies allocated to a Public Safety network shared with Police, Fire and EMS services in Ontario, Canada).

Last edited:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
:thumb:

I would be really grateful if you would, I have cogitated this problem for some time. :Smile:

The thought I had so far, is to bond a sheet of aluminum to the roof through which the aerial passes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you intend travelling a across Europe you will really need a multi channel one..
Maplins do a couple of decent options ... We have one fitted and find it handy under various conditions.... I use a bottom loaded antenna on a 'lip mount' on the bonnet.
Not the best option but it works well enough and gives a range of a few miles.. Quite sufficient for most needs......

OP
OP
Peter & Elaine
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
So do we need a standard solution If go and buy a system I want it to be able to chat with other likeminded funsters and not buy 3 systems
As my dad said think twice buy once

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I've purchased a couple of hand held radio's, perfect when we have grandchildren with us and need to keep in contact with them, not that they ever out of sight. They also have rechargeable batteries and have a range of a few miles (would need a License to get more powerful handhelds).
What I like most about the hand held's is their portability. I can switch them both on and when shopping keep in touch with missus while she is still in Camper-van which is great.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So do we need a standard solution If go and buy a system I want it to be able to chat with other likeminded funsters and not buy 3 systems
As my dad said think twice buy once

What you are looking for does not exist as such.

While the biggest ( by a hell of a long chalk ) group of users will be using proper cb radios ( the type depending on expected use ) there are those who use the 446 per hand held units which are ok for short range comms if travelling in a small group of maybe 4 or 5 vans who all have the same equipment )

If you go for a 'proper' cb, you can get one that has all the various channel blocks in it so it can be used in any of the eu countries in which cb radio is legal.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The current range of CBs are European standard although some of the 1984 UK spec models are being sold.
The metal body of a vehicle provides,with a fibreglass body you need a ground plane.
This can be provided by bonding a metal plate inside the body near to the aerial base,some people have been able to use aluminium foil! With a threaded aerial base you can install a plane in between the aerial base and the vehicle mount.
Link Removed

Or you could mount the aerial on a bike rack and jam the cable through a window.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
There are various Mirror Mounts available however this still leaves the "Ground Plane" effect..also if you mount the antenna on your bike rack you will have a long run of cable from antenna to set and the longer the run the more signal you lose..the way I got round it when I drove an ERF truck was a mirror mount with added ground plane I got mone from Truck King Supplies..try this link Link Removed they also have an e bay shop...hope this helps..you could also try this one http://www.cbradioshop.co.uk this guy is in Kidderminster..

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is my mount. Small, neat, reasonable groundplane, and close to radio so short cable run

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 69

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
If you mount your ariel on the bike rack, you are in effect, "pointing" the reception to the rear, as the bulk of the MH will sheild the reception. Likewise, if you place it on a bullbar at the front, your reception veers more to the front, that is why the best place is dead central.
A way of doing this, would be to bond an 18" sq sheet of metal on the roof just outside a roof vent, then you could place a magmount on it as a temp set up, in the old days i used a bisquit tin.

Myself, i use a cb in the landrover, (thunderpole, very small but powerfull unit), but in the MH, i would only use a handheld walkie talkie.
The handheld two way coms, are better for use on sites, reversing, kids,and at home in the shed/garage etc, so are much more cost effective.
To be honest, I doubt you would get a chat going with a fellow MH owner on channel 14........even truckers are going off them with the advent of the mob phone and "magic numbers "etc.

When i see a set of walkie talkies and i,m in the mood, i,ll buy them, my cb can stay in the landy.:thumb:

OP
OP
Peter & Elaine
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
This pmr is looking promising once I sort out what's legal or not not that aim worried about the legal side just don't want ripping of on some far eastern rubbish
Olso looking at a uk genral frequency licence only penny's for 3 years with a veiw to using good old Motorola gp 340 we have these at work and are bullet proof plus could use a couple old taxi radios

And yes I know about the Europe problem with our freqancys being different
But it's a learning curve

Back to the research

OP
OP
Peter & Elaine
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Broken Link Removed

And there I was pondering this problem when she who must be heard says where is all that junk you had in your old crane aha I thought 2 mourns later and 6 spiders dead I found this probably the best CB ever made my old president Grant aha I hear you say it's not got uk on it when I find rest of cables and make sure it works it will have by end of week
See listen to the wife and she will resolve no cash spent
And single side band for a bit of naughty long range stuff

So 10'4 rubber duck and 10'10 till we do it again

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i think it is a good idea to look into the possibilities of a CB type which we can all get hold of ,
I have CB on the Electra Glide and it is great when you have a group travelling together .

There is bound to be a few on the Funsters that have the experience and knowledge for us to get the right equipment ,:thumb:

Keep the thread open :Cool:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
As we all defer to experts, perhaps a chat with them at Thunderpole would yeild results.
The thing to remember though, is that a CB has only a 4mile 'ish range on a good day, building, hills, mountains can all reduce that, as can the MH itself.
For foriegn travel, Greece has a dislike of things like this (remember the plane spotters?), a lot of eastern european countries are a little nervous as well, and it'd probably be worse if they were found in a box under a seat.
There is a BIG difference between a group of landrovers doing Wayfarer and warning each others of bobblies or cars coming the other way, and a group of motorhomes going to North Africa (I would not even be tempted to take one there), stick with the PMR, at least if ever a suspicious guard takes an interest, you can throw him one and let him use it, he may take them off you and give them to his kids to play with, but you,ll be on your way, not paying an exorbitant fine, or chatting with the British consul in a stinking cell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peter & Elaine
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Fair point dark lord one to think about
There must a solution to this I do think pmr is the way forward if I could get a permanent installed with external arial I would do it
Ideas please
Even thought about doing my ham licence and using 2 mtr

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
0,5w will get you anywhere in the world, with the correct antenna and on the correct frequency.
But not on any PMR h/h radio, if you are very lucky you may get a mile or so over open terrain, better if near open water, but chuck in a hill, a building or two and you may get a lot less, or even a baby alarm or two, (That used to be quite interesting when our motorbiking club went touring)
Your old President has a much better chance.
Personally I use an old “Alinco DX 70 TH” never let me down and good reports, worldwide from all directions, depending on propagation. And with the added bonus that I can also rx radio stations w/w an just chill to the music.Pop the front off,remove the mic,pop the front back on and it looks like any other radio.
Antenna various but mounted on plate attached to roof rack, fed via low loss cable through all weather marine junction box.
Do not use it when driving, same rules apply as mobile phone, ttfn 10/10
26JR1944/ES22/GM48MM
::bigsmile:

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
The thought I had so far, is to bond a sheet of aluminum to the roof through which the aerial passes.

I have a CB in my Motorhome, I have fitted hundreds over the years and I can assure you that an Aluminium sheet will NOT be a ground plane It has to be steel.

My MH is an aluminium body and I have bonded a sheet of thin steel to the roof.

If you are going the CB road ensure you get a later model as the frequencies are due to change this year throughout Europe and will include AM as well as FM

Last edited:

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Fair point dark lord one to think about
There must a solution to this I do think pmr is the way forward if I could get a permanent installed with external arial I would do it
Ideas please
Even thought about doing my ham licence and using 2 mtr

Sorry mate external PMR ariels are a NO NO and the range on a PMR is far less than a CB as they are only legal at 0.5 and not 4.0 as CB
a PMR will ONLY work on line of sight.

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Oh! Enlighten us? :Smile:

I am assuming you mean to the legality of using a CB whilst driving.

Think about it, Is it ilegal for a Taxi driver to talk on his radio whilst driving = No
Is it ilegal for a Policeman to talk on his radio whilst driving = No
Is it ilegal for a bus driver to talk on his radio whilst driving = No

The actual law is referred to here by the Police -:

Link Removed

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
See what you started now !!!

This will go on for ever..:ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sorry mate external PMR ariels are a NO NO and the range on a PMR is far less than a CB as they are only legal at 0.5 and not 4.0 as CB
a PMR will ONLY work on line of sight.

Give that man a prize!

PMR without trunking will not get you very far. Taxi radios and the like are trunked, in such that distance is improved through repeater stations. The do drop out, due to high use and limited space - this is why many are now using Dispatch (mobile phone)

The best way to describe it is your mobile phone which in effect is a duplex PMR. It cannot connect directly, but goes through the repeater stations (mobile phone masts) in order to complete the connection. This of course costs money.

446 frequency is free, but will be busy and restricted pretty much to UK. The frequency is not universal.

For less aggrovation, and virtually no costs I would just go with CB which just needs the set, and aerial and it of modification to the roof and off you go!

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Give that man a prize!

PMR without trunking will not get you very far. Taxi radios and the like are trunked, in such that distance is improved through repeater stations. The do drop out, due to high use and limited space - this is why many are now using Dispatch (mobile phone)

The best way to describe it is your mobile phone which in effect is a duplex PMR. It cannot connect directly, but goes through the repeater stations (mobile phone masts) in order to complete the connection. This of course costs money.

446 frequency is free, but will be busy and restricted pretty much to UK. The frequency is not universal.

For less aggrovation, and virtually no costs I would just go with CB which just needs the set, and aerial and it of modification to the roof and off you go!

The only Taxi radios that are trunked in the UK are in big cities the TX RX range relies totally on the lay of the land, I am in Chesterfield and one Taxi company located at Brimington can actually talk at ranges of 30 miles + in one direction and a Max of 3 miles in the opposite direction.
The vast Majority are on high Band which is around 165 - 168 mhz

PMR 446 is legal throughout Europe, US and Canada

CB is by far the best recommendation for mobile use

There are Ariels specially for GRP vehicles ie Non GP (Ground Plane) ariels but these are not as successful as a Sheet of steel, I would sugest a minimum size of 3' X 3"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back