Cb radios

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Peter & Elaine, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Has any one any experance of fitting 2 way radios to motorhomes such as cb radios is there already some standard we are using some of you guys must have traveled in Groups for example our morocco friends
    Or do you know some thing better than cb,s if I remember when it was popular it was rubbish anyway

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Motorhome are a little difficult as not having much in the way of steel bodies for the aerial attachment and little "groundplane". Solutions are available but I wont go into depth here.
    It has been tried several times in forums to establish a dedicated CB channel to use but never took off. Some people do se them but very few that i have come across.

Most people buy the 446 radios that you can get almost everywhere. Argos, Maplins, ebay etc.. No license and enough range for when you are travelling together... This is what we used in Morocco.

For a bigger range you could get CB radio handhelds, they are a lot neater then the old bulky ones of years ago...:thumb:

My mates CB place

www.thunderpole.co.uk

3. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Simple cheap and effective
    Love it

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Can be useful, but be aware that CB radios are illegal in Morocco.. and a few other African countries, so keep them well hidden when crossing the border.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sahara-travel-forum/cb-radio-in-morocco-22573

also.. and this is from Wiki
    Using radios outside their intended market can be dangerous, as well as illegal as frequencies used by Citizen's Band radios from other countries may operate on frequencies close to, or used by, emergency services (For example, the Indonesian service around 142 MHz operates on frequencies allocated to a Public Safety network shared with Police, Fire and EMS services in Ontario, Canada).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  5. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Iv got one in my fiat decato I love it as I can tell jokes and give a load off shit back if they don't like

• Like Like x 1
  6. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

I would be really grateful if you would, I have cogitated this problem for some time. :Smile:

The thought I had so far, is to bond a sheet of aluminum to the roof through which the aerial passes.

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you intend travelling a across Europe you will really need a multi channel one..
    Maplins do a couple of decent options ... We have one fitted and find it handy under various conditions.... I use a bottom loaded antenna on a 'lip mount' on the bonnet.
    Not the best option but it works well enough and gives a range of a few miles.. Quite sufficient for most needs......

8. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

So do we need a standard solution If go and buy a system I want it to be able to chat with other likeminded funsters and not buy 3 systems
    As my dad said think twice buy once

9. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I've purchased a couple of hand held radio's, perfect when we have grandchildren with us and need to keep in contact with them, not that they ever out of sight. They also have rechargeable batteries and have a range of a few miles (would need a License to get more powerful handhelds).
    What I like most about the hand held's is their portability. I can switch them both on and when shopping keep in touch with missus while she is still in Camper-van which is great.

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

What you are looking for does not exist as such.

While the biggest ( by a hell of a long chalk ) group of users will be using proper cb radios ( the type depending on expected use ) there are those who use the 446 per hand held units which are ok for short range comms if travelling in a small group of maybe 4 or 5 vans who all have the same equipment )

If you go for a 'proper' cb, you can get one that has all the various channel blocks in it so it can be used in any of the eu countries in which cb radio is legal.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

The current range of CBs are European standard although some of the 1984 UK spec models are being sold.
    The metal body of a vehicle provides,with a fibreglass body you need a ground plane.
    This can be provided by bonding a metal plate inside the body near to the aerial base,some people have been able to use aluminium foil! With a threaded aerial base you can install a plane in between the aerial base and the vehicle mount.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tristar-G...n_Radio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415a8cefd8

Or you could mount the aerial on a bike rack and jam the cable through a window.

12. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

There are various Mirror Mounts available however this still leaves the "Ground Plane" effect..also if you mount the antenna on your bike rack you will have a long run of cable from antenna to set and the longer the run the more signal you lose..the way I got round it when I drove an ERF truck was a mirror mount with added ground plane I got mone from Truck King Supplies..try this link http://www.truck-king.co.uk they also have an e bay shop...hope this helps..you could also try this one http://www.cbradioshop.co.uk this guy is in Kidderminster..

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

This is my mount. Small, neat, reasonable groundplane, and close to radio so short cable run

Attached Files:

14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And also round the wrong way !
    Sorry about that :Smile:

15. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

If you mount your ariel on the bike rack, you are in effect, "pointing" the reception to the rear, as the bulk of the MH will sheild the reception. Likewise, if you place it on a bullbar at the front, your reception veers more to the front, that is why the best place is dead central.
    A way of doing this, would be to bond an 18" sq sheet of metal on the roof just outside a roof vent, then you could place a magmount on it as a temp set up, in the old days i used a bisquit tin.

Myself, i use a cb in the landrover, (thunderpole, very small but powerfull unit), but in the MH, i would only use a handheld walkie talkie.
    The handheld two way coms, are better for use on sites, reversing, kids,and at home in the shed/garage etc, so are much more cost effective.
    To be honest, I doubt you would get a chat going with a fellow MH owner on channel 14........even truckers are going off them with the advent of the mob phone and "magic numbers "etc.

When i see a set of walkie talkies and i,m in the mood, i,ll buy them, my cb can stay in the landy.:thumb:

16. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

This pmr is looking promising once I sort out what's legal or not not that aim worried about the legal side just don't want ripping of on some far eastern rubbish
    Olso looking at a uk genral frequency licence only penny's for 3 years with a veiw to using good old Motorola gp 340 we have these at work and are bullet proof plus could use a couple old taxi radios

And yes I know about the Europe problem with our freqancys being different
    But it's a learning curve

Back to the research

17. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

image.jpg

And there I was pondering this problem when she who must be heard says where is all that junk you had in your old crane aha I thought 2 mourns later and 6 spiders dead I found this probably the best CB ever made my old president Grant aha I hear you say it's not got uk on it when I find rest of cables and make sure it works it will have by end of week
    See listen to the wife and she will resolve no cash spent
    And single side band for a bit of naughty long range stuff

So 10'4 rubber duck and 10'10 till we do it again

18. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster Life Member

i think it is a good idea to look into the possibilities of a CB type which we can all get hold of ,
    I have CB on the Electra Glide and it is great when you have a group travelling together .

There is bound to be a few on the Funsters that have the experience and knowledge for us to get the right equipment ,:thumb:

Keep the thread open :Cool:

19. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

As we all defer to experts, perhaps a chat with them at Thunderpole would yeild results.
    The thing to remember though, is that a CB has only a 4mile 'ish range on a good day, building, hills, mountains can all reduce that, as can the MH itself.
    For foriegn travel, Greece has a dislike of things like this (remember the plane spotters?), a lot of eastern european countries are a little nervous as well, and it'd probably be worse if they were found in a box under a seat.
    There is a BIG difference between a group of landrovers doing Wayfarer and warning each others of bobblies or cars coming the other way, and a group of motorhomes going to North Africa (I would not even be tempted to take one there), stick with the PMR, at least if ever a suspicious guard takes an interest, you can throw him one and let him use it, he may take them off you and give them to his kids to play with, but you,ll be on your way, not paying an exorbitant fine, or chatting with the British consul in a stinking cell.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Fair point dark lord one to think about
    There must a solution to this I do think pmr is the way forward if I could get a permanent installed with external arial I would do it
    Ideas please
    Even thought about doing my ham licence and using 2 mtr